IMG_9901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9900 (resized).jpeg
3pu1kq (resized).jpg
75429320_2661710413892905_3615448893623369728_o.jpg
e60eb69d-5797-4e30-8f65-e1e33d1749f9.jpg
f6931b0f-0994-4cf6-b399-91336dfd2b2c.jpg
d653713e-61e6-4adb-b88e-193a58caab47.jpg
SLEIC.jpg
There are 1,203 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 25.
#551 6 years ago

#552 6 years ago

Honestly, it's the color editor and *SOMETHING* in the repository that's holding me up from a mass purchase at this point. Until we have an editor, frame-to-frame copy, and a collaborative effort toward a community repository of full-color games, I'm just chomping at the bit to swap out all of my orange/red DMDs.

#553 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Honestly, it's the color editor and *SOMETHING* in the repository that's holding me up from a mass purchase at this point. Until we have an editor, frame-to-frame copy, and a collaborative effort toward a community repository of full-color games, I'm just chomping at the bit to swap out all of my orange/red DMDs.

Yes an editor, some (or at least one) colorized game and a firmware able to display such a colored game on a real machine would be nice.

#554 6 years ago

Testing CAPCOM, to add to the next DMDMK66 128x32 firmware version , practically ready, only need to fix a minor bug. I think it will also work with AutoDetection, so the user will not need to manually configure the pinball manufacturer.

The forecast for the following DMDMK66 firmware version V1.9 is as follows:

1.- Add CAPCOM, real pinball
2.- Add some more colors, mainly light colors
3.- Add custom RGB values for each color, so that the user can choose any of the 16M RGB Colors
4.- Activate the AutoPalette option.
5.- If possible, I will try to add Spike, if I do not add it in the next version.

For DMDMK66 192x64, next version V1.8:

1.- Correct a minor bug with the last line
2.- Add some more colors, mainly light colors
3.- Add custom RGB values for each color, so that the user can choose any of the 16M RGB Colors
4.- Activate the AutoPalette option.

Sin título-3.jpgSin título-3.jpg
Sin título-4.jpgSin título-4.jpg
Sin título-1.jpgSin título-1.jpg
Sin título-5.jpgSin título-5.jpg
Sin título-2.jpgSin título-2.jpg
Sin título-6.jpgSin título-6.jpg
Sin título-7.jpgSin título-7.jpg

#555 6 years ago

Today more tests of the DMDMK66 128x32 Magic Edition, 100% Plug and Play (and no custom cables required), on a Star Wars of Data East and a Ripley's Believe It or Not (Stern WhiteStar). In both has worked perfectly at all times.

My friend Orlando of STRPinball, confirms that after all the tests, the product is totally reliable, and the 100% Plug and Play feature a success.

So, in the next orders of DMDMK66, I will definitely remove the 2-pin screw connector from the board, the custom cable and the quick splice connectors, since none are already needed.

22382081_1564501883613769_2164394952439799286_o.jpg22382081_1564501883613769_2164394952439799286_o.jpg
22291406_1564501796947111_48816638226040688_o.jpg22291406_1564501796947111_48816638226040688_o.jpg
22338833_1564501846947106_4620103301275258645_o.jpg22338833_1564501846947106_4620103301275258645_o.jpg
22339015_1564501533613804_4490718950764188922_o.jpg22339015_1564501533613804_4490718950764188922_o.jpg

#556 6 years ago

DMDMK66 128x32 MAGIC Edition, 100% Plug and Play, NO custom cables required, installed in a Guns N 'Roses.

#557 6 years ago

It's not magic; you're just pushing high voltage into hardware that doesn't want or need it. Just so you don't have to use a separate cable. Worth it? Nah.

#558 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

you're just pushing high voltage into hardware.

Absolutely NO.
Before discussing technical issues, find out more or ask a question.

#559 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It's not magic; you're just pushing high voltage into hardware that doesn't want or need it. Just so you don't have to use a separate cable. Worth it? Nah.

Most people want something that works out of the box with no setup, assembly, or custom cables. This fits that description.

Luis this requires the high voltage on the power supply board to be working just as with an original DMD right?

#560 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Luis this requires the high voltage on the power supply board to be working just as with an original DMD right?

No, DMDMK66 Magic Edition does not require high voltages, so it will work perfectly also with the latest Stern, which installed DMD Led from factory, and do not have high voltage.

Anyone can check my DMDMK66 Magic Edition, cut the high voltage cables from the power connector (+ 60v, -120v, -108v), the DMDMK66 will continue working, those voltages are not used at all in the DMDMK66, in case anyone is thinking about safety issues. Only DC low voltajes are present in DMDMK66.

#561 6 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize that. Thanks for clarifying. So it uses the +12v on the connector instead to drive the panels? You don't even need a power supply with working high voltage.

#562 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

In this case, I think this IS the better approach. It replaces an existing DMD, and it is able to run from the power that was originally feeding that DMD. The alternative where it puts additional strain on a power source (such as 12V unregulated) that was never designed to power a DMD leads to issues. A couple of times, I have had to install an additional power supply to get the DMD off the 12V.

High voltage is still present regardless, and in this case the connector is somewhat restrained by being connected to the replacement DMD. With the other approach, you have a connector that is now unused, floating around in the backbox unless you go the extra step of tying it down.

#563 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Wow, I didn't realize that. Thanks for clarifying. So it uses the +12v on the connector instead to drive the panels?

Not exactly, as you probably know, the 12v DC of the original DMD power connector, can only provide 1A (usually with a 7812), not enough to power these DMDs. It takes something more to make it work.

Quoted from Crash:

You don't even need a power supply with working high voltage.

None of the high voltages of the original connector are needed for the DMDMK66. No custom cables, no external power supply. All from the original DMD supply connector, only with DC low voltages.

#564 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Not exactly, as you probably know, the 12v DC of the original DMD power connector, can only provide 1A (usually with a 7812), not enough to power these DMDs. It takes something more to make it work.

Where is the power coming from then?

#565 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Where is the power coming from then?

Sorry, I can not provide more technical details about how the DMDMK66 is powered only from the original power connector. I think you'll understand why.

#566 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Sorry, I can not provide more technical details about how the DMDMK66 is powered only from the original power connector. I think you'll understand why.

Don't worry we won't, its not exactly hard to figure out

#567 6 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Don't worry we won't, its not exactly hard to figure out

You don´t understand @russdx. Only Luis can do magic

#568 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

New DMDMK64 version, this add a Switched DC-DC circuit 8-36 DCV input to 5DCV 5A, to work directly with pinball power supply, so will not need add external power supply, so more compact, lighter, and will be 100% PLUG and PLAY.

#569 6 years ago

I don't have a horse in this race... we're happy with our cable solution and have used a 12V switcher since product introduction in 2012.

However, unless I'm missing something, there are some obvious problems with this design for WPC games, and is the main reason we moved away from the DMD connector.

(1) You can't use 12V from the WPC DMD controller to drive anything. There's a current limiting 56 ohm, 1/4 amp resistor in the path. If you pull too much current through this resistor, you're going to burn the resistor on the DMD controller board like a fuse.

(2) Running the display off the 5V logic supply runs the risk of watchdog resets, especially on older games where the 5V bridge/cap is already stressed. This is the reason there are a bajillion caps on Luis' new DMD board but still don't see how you can predict/guarantee that the 5V won't dip as it's a function of video content, display brightness, power driver board components, and anything else hanging off the 5V supply.

Combining the two supplies with diodes doesn't resolve either problem.

The "best" solution would be one that uses the actual high voltage supplies that were intended to power the display. But this requires a more complex design to safely switch the high voltage to something that can be used by the display, and protect the display in the event of a failure at the switcher.

#570 6 years ago

Maybe it help to provide some numbers: these displays use 2 led panels each with 64*32 pixels. Power consumption of the LEDs is controlled by switching them on and off at a high frequency so basically the duty cycle. For single rows there is normally no limiting of current which makes the panel rows LEDs burn easily if the driver fails.
Max duty cycle of all RGB LED (white) leads to an average of 4 mA per led at 5v. In a 4096 pixel display this is 16A!! And you can drive them higher I've tested this.

But never the less this is only theory. These panels are so bright that in pinball machines or those pinball clocks the power consumption is around 4-5 Amps depending on brightness settings, what is actually shown and pallettes used.

Obviously all white pixels requires most, but this is only rarely shown on a pinball.

#571 6 years ago

Maybe one thing to add: I use these panels in four of my machines and I always add an extra switching power supply with 5v and 7A just to be safe.

#572 6 years ago

You can see from the pcb photos he is just using the 5v logic as the trace basically runs to the dmd 5v pin.

I too was wondering how much stress is this putting on the pinball machine drawing so much current, can it damage it? That 5v was just used to drive extreamly low current logic circuits on the original dmds not have upto 5amps sucked from it

As DMOD said the best solution is actually to just use the high voltage and drop it to 5v although part of your board is now live with high voltage but nothing a nice little perspex cover could protect.

#573 6 years ago

Why is 50% of the posts in this thread from the competition and/or people who has no interest in buying the product?

#574 6 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Why is 50% of the posts in this thread from the competition and/or people who has no interest in buying the product?

If some one goes around saying every one else product is shit i think you will find the competition will stand up for there self's and correct these false accusations.

Also these is nothing wrong with reviewing a product especially when it could potentially be damaging peoples machines!

#575 6 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

+ 1000000

#576 6 years ago

Luis,
I like the new plug and play version, thats wat i was waiting for.
Do you have some colored SW screens to look at.

#577 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Luis,
I like the new plug and play version, thats wat i was waiting for.
Do you have some colored SW screens to look at.

Hi.

The Magic Color Tools Editor for advanced color is still in development, as soon as it's ready with the first beta version, I will open a web site for beta testers. Now I am also managing where and how to mount the server.

If you refers to the current base color, which replaces the level of brightness by colors, along this thread are some images and some videos of the DMDMK66 running, I do not remember now if there is some about Star Wars. Also there are pictures and videos in my Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Pinballsp

All DMDMK66 will be compatible with Magic Color Tool for advanced color. As soon as the first version is available, I will also release firmware for the three DMDMK66, 128x16, 128x32 and 192x64 versions.

Best regards

#578 6 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

If some one goes around saying every one else product is shit i think you will find the competition will stand up for there self's and correct these false accusations.
Also these is nothing wrong with reviewing a product especially when it could potentially be damaging peoples machines!

The constant negative remarks are making you guys look bad. You've made your point countless times in this thread, and the negativity is starting to get old.

I suggest taking the high road and just let it go. If your products are superior, people will buy them over this one.

#579 6 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Ok, show us a video of someone installing one and it causing issues.

#580 6 years ago

....I had to spend $500 on a solution for my Frankenstein (2 plasma's down by this point)....I wanted it to be LED for colorization potential -potential lifespan increase - simple to install - let alone work. Luis' product did exactly that....I can't see what could be negative about any of this....clearly PIN2DMD has some issues that have been noted on these threads ad nauseam, ColorDMD ain't got a big DMD pot to piss in....I just don't get why anyone has got anything bad to say here?

#581 6 years ago

I have to complement you on the filter. It makes each dot seem more "filled" like the old plasmas. The new LED dmds look good and are a great replacement for the old plasmas, but without the filter it looks a little off.

#582 6 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

I have to complement you on the filter. It makes each dot seem more "filled" like the old plasmas. The new LED dmds look good and are a great replacement for the old plasmas, but without the filter it looks a little off.

I offer the acrylic filter, as an optional extra. When the filter is added to the DMDMK66, the contrast of the image is greatly increased and the off leds are hidden. Without filter, the appearance is also good, but better with filter.

There is not much more to offer with filters, I have here another gray filter instead of amber. And I tried a long time ago a white filter to better mix the three basic colors at each point, but that requires an additional black mask, or the result is not good.

IMG_20171002_120921.jpgIMG_20171002_120921.jpg

#583 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

....I had to spend $500 on a solution for my Frankenstein (2 plasma's down by this point)....I wanted it to be LED for colorization potential -potential lifespan increase - simple to install - let alone work. Luis' product did exactly that....I can't see what could be negative about any of this....clearly PIN2DMD has some issues that have been noted on these threads ad nauseam, ColorDMD ain't got a big DMD pot to piss in....I just don't get why anyone has got anything bad to say here?

Luis is a good hardware designer and you can see that from the fact that he presented more hardware versions of dmdmk66 than software updates. I admit that PIN2DMD has some hardware issues (plug and play) but those will be addressed by the PIN2DMD hardware suppliers. From our side it still is a non-commercial (we forward every cent of the donations to charity) DIY hobby project based on generally available components.

I think the bad talk is just a reaction to the fact that Luis advertises his product in such a aggressive way with a "nobody is better than me" attitude while on the other hand for example he is still selling his DMDST32 hardware with PIN2DMD preinstalled.

You know yourself that the product you bought is not 100% working, most of the features are only announced and not even Luis knows when they will come. I really hope you end up with what you paid for some day.

#584 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

I offer the acrylic filter, as an optional extra. When the filter is added to the DMDMK66, the contrast of the image is greatly increased and the off leds are hidden. Without filter, the appearance is also good, but better with filter.
There is not much more to offer with filters, I have here another gray filter instead of amber. And I tried a long time ago a white filter to better mix the three basic colors at each point, but that requires an additional black mask, or the result is not good.

I'd be interested to see a photo and video comparison of amber, gray and white (if you can do the masking).

I guess you'd need to charge more for the latter, but sounds like it could potentially be the best solution.

#585 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'd be interested to see a photo and video comparison of amber, gray and white (if you can do the masking).
I guess you'd need to charge more for the latter, but sounds like it could potentially be the best solution.

The white filter was very complicated, because making the mask in black required a very resistant material, and in the end was expensive and difficult to do. Finally, I decided not to make it.

With the filter in amber I have put here a video of a DMDMK66 on a Road Show. About the gray filter, I only have one sample, I've never done it, the only thing that's going to change is that it's something more transparent, and the colors may look a little different, but that's not important.

Now I have to send to make filters, because I have exhausted them, both for the 128x32 and 192x64 screens, I will ask for some in gray and I will make some video. The filter for the 128x32, can also be installed on the DMDMK66 128x16.

Also, someone in the forum, suggested to me, try with polarized film, I have to look for it and try it.

#586 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

The white filter was very complicated, because making the mask in black required a very resistant material, and in the end was expensive and difficult to do. Finally, I decided not to make it.
With the filter in amber I have put here a video of a DMDMK66 on a Road Show. About the gray filter, I only have one sample, I've never done it, the only thing that's going to change is that it's something more transparent, and the colors may look a little different, but that's not important.
Now I have to send to make filters, because I have exhausted them, both for the 128x32 and 192x64 screens, I will ask for some in gray and I will make some video. The filter for the 128x32, can also be installed on the DMDMK66 128x16.
Also, someone in the forum, suggested to me, try with polarized film, I have to look for it and try it.

» YouTube video

1) The white ghosting to the right of the lit pixels still looks bad.
2) The 4 color pallet stuff looks horrible.
3) You have a credit dot on your Road Show undermining you technical capabilities.

But you get an "A" effort on other people's ideas (waiting for thumbs down, I'm drinking)

#587 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

» YouTube video

Polarised would be interesting. Not sure how durable the film would be though.

You can also buy acrylic with excellent anti-reflective properties; not the terrible stuff people sell for $30/€30 as backbox glass replacement with only ~80% light transmission (that costs $1-2). Only issue is that it's a little pricey, and I'm not sure if you can get it in colours.

#588 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

1) The white ghosting to the right of the lit pixels still looks bad.
2) The 4 color pallet stuff looks horrible.
3) You have a credit dot on your Road Show undermining you technical capabilities.
But you get an "A" effort on other people's ideas (waiting for thumbs down, I'm drinking)

You posted all of this before, all of which was also responded to at the time, last time the video was posted.

1) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way/page/10#post-3956260 - is a reflection
2) How is that relevant to a discussion about filters?
3) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way/page/10#post-3956299 - it's not his machine.

The trolling is getting old.

#589 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

» YouTube video

I actually posted some photos of Comet's DMD Glare Eliminator polarized filter Rappelbox's PIN2DMD LED display. The contrast improvement is enormous but it doesn't diffuse or soften the LEDs. Color separation is still clear.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-dmd-glare-eliminator-vids-review/page/2#post-3923568

#590 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I actually posted some photos of Comet's DMD Glare Eliminator polarized filter Rappelbox's PIN2DMD LED display. The contrast improvement is enormous but it doesn't diffuse or soften the LEDs. Color separation is still clear.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-dmd-glare-eliminator-vids-review/page/2#post-3923568

Is Comet’s filter a polarized filter? I thought it was the “microlouver” privacy film like 3M has for computer screens

#591 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Is Comet’s filter a polarized filter? I thought it was the “microlouver” privacy film like 3M has for computer screens

I thought it was that too.

#592 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

You posted all of this before, all of which was also responded to at the time, last time the video was posted.
it's not his machine.

The trolling is getting old.

Does not get old. It is a staple around here. Besides, "not his machine" is a lame excuse when you use it for advertising a DIY product. It show they don't care about getting what you pay for. Half colored and half running games are great for the "Frugal".

Like some of those "half colored" games we have seen recently. Even the demo GIFs posted are advertisements for ColorDMD.

#593 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Does not get old. It is a staple around here. Besides, "not his machine" is a lame excuse when you use it for advertising a DIY product. It show they don't care about getting what you pay for. Half colored and half running games are great for the "Frugal".
Like some of those "half colored" games we have seen recently. Even the demo GIFs posted are advertisements for ColorDMD.

You made you point many times. Can't you just move on? Maybe drain this thread? I hope this was you last post here.

#594 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Does not get old. It is a staple around here.

While it most certainly is a staple around here, the only ones it doesn't get old for are the toxic drunks who give Pinside the infamous reputation it has.

#595 6 years ago

DMDMK66 128x32 already support CAPCOM, 100% tested work fine. Today I made the last adjustments and is ready to offer it in the next version of the firmware (v1.85).

I will also add more colors to the preconfigured list and the option to configure the RGB value for each color, so that the user can make a custom adjustment without limits.

I will try to add Spike for v1.85, but if no possible will be for next version, at any rate will be soon.

I'm also working to release v1.85 for DMDMK66 192x64 soon, fix a minor bug and add color options (more colors to list and adjustment of RGB values).

#596 6 years ago

PM sent.

#597 6 years ago

More feedbacks about DMDMK66 Magic Edition. All 100% positive, the product works perfectly, does not fail, does not reset the CPU.

MAGIC_002.jpgMAGIC_002.jpg
MAGIC_001.jpgMAGIC_001.jpg
MAGIC_003.jpgMAGIC_003.jpg

MAGIC_004.jpgMAGIC_004.jpg

#598 6 years ago

Very nice!

#599 6 years ago

And more positive feedback about DMDMK66 Magic Edition, this in a DE Star Wars.

star_000.jpgstar_000.jpg

star_002.jpgstar_002.jpg

star_001.jpgstar_001.jpg

#600 6 years ago

That is fabulous and an alternate product to pin2dmd.
Congratulation ?

What is the Price for it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 24.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

There are 1,203 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.