(Topic ID: 258506)

DMD Unregulated power issues

By Hop721

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hop721.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

My Color dmd is freezing On my RBION when trough coil fires and coil power is set to normal. This does not happen when coils are set to soft.
    I assume this is because of a power surge through the 12v power connection near the coin door.
    Anyone know how to regulate that source (inline or otherwise) or a better power take off point?
    Game doesn’t play well when coils are set to soft.
    Appreciate any help.
    #ripleys-believe-it-or-not

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

Rebuild your 5V and 12V sections on your driver board. Particularly the 15,000 farad caps on each.

I’ll research how to do that and dive in if I’m comfortable with it. Kind of a noob at soldering, but willing to learn. Any good instructional resources you recommend?
    Thank you!

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hop721:

I’ll research how to do that and dive in if I’m comfortable with it. Kind of a noob at soldering, but willing to learn. Know of any good instructional resources?
    Thank you!

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

It can be a difficult solder repair for the noob as you can pull the "tube" connecting the top side to bottom side of the board when desoldering the 15,000 farad caps involved. Best to send it off to one of the board repair people that post around here.
    Right on. Thanks for your help!
    Clive at Coin Op Cauldron and Chris Hibler among others that could help with this.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

It can be a difficult solder repair for the noob as you can pull the "tube" connecting the top side to bottom side of the board when desoldering the 15,000 farad caps involved. Best to send it off to one of the board repair people that post around here.
    Clive at Coin Op Cauldron and Chris Hibler among others that could help with this.

Right on. Thanks for your help!

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Try reseating the ribbon cable and the IDC and molex cables along the bottom of the CPU board and along the top of the driver board. The regular cables are power connectors.

I’ve Replaced ribbon cables, cleaned and reseated all connections. Didn’t Seem to help, unfortunately
    Only (And almost always) seems to happen when the trough upkicker fires out a ball (coil power set to normal)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hop721.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-unregulated-power-issues?tu=Hop721 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.