• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by radix
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello all,

I have a 1st gen Harley-Davidson, when powering up the DMD only turns on for a few moments during which it displays the game name and display ROM version. It then goes dark and shows nothing again. The game boots as normal. I switched out the display controller board with a known good one swapping the ROMs and am still getting the same issue. I also changed out the ribbon cable and DMD itself to test it, same behavior where it shows the display version for a few moments and then turns off.

I have double-checked all the cables are correctly connected and pushed on the ROMs to ensure they are seated on the CPU and display controller board.

I do not get what the issue could be. Any thoughts? Thank so much for the help!

#2 2 years ago

The display board is not receiving commands from the CPU over the 26-pin ribbon cable.

The splash screen that you're seeing at boot time is the display processor's boot screen. After that the display processor will idle and wait for commands over the 26-pin ribbon cable. When a command is received, the display processor responds by sending an animation to the DMD.

If you've tried swapping the display controller and ribbon cable, the problem may be with damage to the data output buffer (U201) on the CPU board.

#3 2 years ago

The very first thing to do is confirm that all of the voltages are correct and are making it to the DMD.

ALWAYS test the voltages before doing anything else.

3 weeks later
#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The display board is not receiving commands from the CPU over the 26-pin ribbon cable.
The splash screen that you're seeing at boot time is the display processor's boot screen. After that the display processor will idle and wait for commands over the 26-pin ribbon cable. When a command is received, the display processor responds by sending an animation to the DMD.
If you've tried swapping the display controller and ribbon cable, the problem may be with damage to the data output buffer (U201) on the CPU board.

Thank you so much Dmod, I removed U201, put in a socket and a new NTE NTE74HCT273 IC and it works as it should now. You where a huge help, thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-turns-on-for-a-few-seconds-and-then-off-whitestar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.