• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Indy 500 c37 and c45 removed (resized).jpg
WCS (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have a new (to me) Corvette. On power up the machine emits a short but piercing squeak. I dimly recall that this sound is related to the DMD.

Since I've had it, a couple of the bottom lines of the DMD never worked.

About a week ago, the DMD started to have bigger issues where it was displaying severely distorted and ghosted images. You could tell it was trying, but you couldn't really read the display.

I swapped in a spare DMD that wasn't perfect, but it started working perfectly. For about two days. Now I'm back to the same issues.

Any ideas would be helpful. The issue is clearly upstream, but I have no idea where to go from there.

#2 6 years ago

I don't think a game squeak on power up is an issue.

I do think you should check the ribbon cables to help with the DMD. They are probably loose on the boards.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

On power up the machine emits a short but piercing squeak.

This sounds like a sound board issue. You can swap the sound board with WCS or no Fear to confirm the issue.

Quoted from Brijam:

the DMD started to have bigger issues where it was displaying severely distorted and ghosted images. You could tell it was trying, but you couldn't really read the display.

This distorted and ghosting issues on the DMD sounds like the High Voltage on the DMD controller board is too high. Check the -112v, -100v, and 68v on the DMD power cable. If you install a ColorDMD, these voltages would not be needed and you would have color.

Again, you could swap the DMD or the DMD controller board to a number of games that you have to confirm the issue.

#4 6 years ago

Agree that the squeak is not a DMD issue. I have several games that do the same when they are powered up and the sound comes from the speakers.

Also agree that you should check the DMD supply voltages. Quite common for the power supply on the DMD controller to have burned up components and go out of spec.

#5 6 years ago

the noise is the amplifiers on the sound board initializing. it has nothing to do with the DMD.

#6 6 years ago

My Road Show makes this same high pitched squeak.
Do I need to address it or is it nothing to worry about?
Thanks.

#7 6 years ago

Can you post a picture of the sound board?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

the noise is the amplifiers on the sound board initializing. it has nothing to do with the DMD.

is it indicative of a pending problem that should be addressed?

My corvette has always done the same thing for a few years now.

#9 6 years ago

My TOM used to have this piercing squeak at power up. I can't recall if removing the C37 and C45 is what fixed it or if it was the 2 larger capacitors that I had replaced. I did this 3 years ago and I remember doing both the same day. I'm not sure if I tested the board once I cut the 2 capacitors off.

I had removed these 2 capacitors based on Pinwiki http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

6.24.6.5 Scratchy Audio or mumbled speech
During production of WPC-95 games, Williams removed two small ceramic caps (C47 and C51) from the A/V board to clean up the sound. This fix can also be applied to the DCS sound board. On the DCS board (Corvette, Indy 500, WCS94, JD, TOM and others) C37 and C45 are the equivalent caps to be removed. Simply clip the caps from the board. You do not need to desolder them. This cleans up the sound and speech on some games like Demo Man quite well.

WCS (resized).jpgWCS (resized).jpg
Indy 500 c37 and c45 removed (resized).jpgIndy 500 c37 and c45 removed (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

The power-on squeal is not an issue, other than it's stressful to your ears.

here's an interesting point... if you have a Rottendog power driver board, the squeal is much worse. that's because of how the voltages come up on the RD driver board. they use different voltage regulators and caps... The caps charge a bit slower, so you get a worse 'squeal' at power on. It bothers people, but it's not doing any damage. But i have to admit, the rottendog squeal is really nasty.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

The power-on squeal is not an issue, other than it's stressful to your ears.
here's an interesting point... if you have a Rottendog power driver board, the squeal is much worse. that's because of how the voltages come up on the RD driver board. they use different voltage regulators and caps... The caps charge a bit slower, so you get a worse 'squeal' at power on. It bothers people, but it's not doing any damage. But i have to admit, the rottendog squeal is really nasty.

curious, clay...

do you agree with cutting the caps off to remove the squeal?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-squeak-of-doom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.