Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Hello everyone

I have a quick question about a friends machine (A Johnny Mnemonic). He told me yesterday that during gameplay, sometimes the display shows the "FREE PLAY" text. But behind the "FREE PLAY" text, the scores are still counting, and everything works as it should otherwise. there are no other apparent errors, no flickering in the display or anything. Just the text "FREE PLAY" intermittently during a game.

Have anyone experienced this before?

I doubt it could be any of the data cables, as that would not result in anything that specific (i think?).

So my own guess would be either the CPU board or the display driver board.

Anyone have som input?

#2 4 years ago

I would inspect the main PCB for alkaline damage.

#3 4 years ago

The CPU board is my number one suspicion as well. As far as i remember all of the display roms and so on is on the CPU board, so the display driver board could never be at fault when something completely wrong (not just distorted) is displayed on the DMD?

#4 4 years ago

With power off, press on all the socketed parts, especially the U9 ASIC (square part), on the CPU board. If that does not help, then reseat this ribbon cable, also with power off. 2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
Boards
PinSound

$ 37.50
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-sometimes-says-free-play-during-a-game?hl=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.