Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2985.JPG
IMG_2940.JPG
IMG_2939.JPG
IMG_2941.JPG
image1.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Here's the low down. I got a Baywatch where I was told the original display was non functional and the machine came with the color LCD screen, dmd extender, raspberry pi and pretty much everything needed to replace the screen with the color option.

But I hate it.

I watched videos and before I was going to tackle modifying it I watched a lot of You Tube videos and just think it looks cheap and really just want to restore the game back to the original display. This is the 3rd one I have owned and really like the original display and have never had issues with them.

So my question is this. Can the original display be repaired? If so what's a good price range to get that done? If not, where's the best price for one to buy?

And LASTLY....

What's a good price to get for the color led screen kit to sell it to fund the replacement display? What's a good price if the original display can't be repaired to sell it for?

I know. Lots of questions and I tried to get it in the best topic category.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Sorry you don't like the new look with DMD extender. Most of the Display cannot be fixed or I should say, would not be cost worthy to have someone try to repair it. If it only has a line or two out, then yes, you might want to try fixing it...but if it has major issues, then scrap it....Find a good used one. I have done this on many occasions with normal and large displays...If you look around you should be able to get a good used one from $200-$275 range...New they are almost $500.

Good luck!

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate the input. I did see where I could just turn the lights to orange on the extender kit and at least have it close to the original till I can find a good display.

#4 9 years ago

This guy has some NOS ones in stock for less than the usual sources. Email him

ebay.com link: usr

I have repaired a couple of these large DMD's before. What exactly is the problem with yours?

3 weeks later
#5 9 years ago

It is just DEAD.

#6 9 years ago

Is that the full pinball mike d color kit you have? If so I'll trade you a large sega display i never installed for it straight across.

#7 9 years ago

That is just the DMD Extender kit, not SmartDMD. So the DMD Extender setup has worked for you? Did the LCD cable come unplugged from the controller board? I think the plug and socket should line up just fine. Just wondering why it's not working for you now, is it just the plug doesn't seem to be the right size for the black 2-row socket on the controller board?

As for the original plasma displays, if it is dead it is dead. Rob Anthony told me they are pretty darn unfixable if this is the case. The high voltage drive circuitry often fries itself. I also called Vishay and they no longer do repairs on these panels.

#8 9 years ago

3 time owner! I too love Baywatch.

You should be able to set the DMD extender to the original colors. Personally, I had allot of fun with the DMD extender and my Baywatch. Good Luck hunting down a DMD.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-sega-baywatch-color-dmd-project#post-2377694

#9 9 years ago
#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

That is just the DMD Extender kit, not SmartDMD. So the DMD Extender setup has worked for you? Did the LCD cable come unplugged from the controller board? I think the plug and socket should line up just fine. Just wondering why it's not working for you now, is it just the plug doesn't seem to be the right size for the black 2-row socket on the controller board?
As for the original plasma displays, if it is dead it is dead. Rob Anthony told me they are pretty darn unfixable if this is the case. The high voltage drive circuitry often fries itself. I also called Vishay and they no longer do repairs on these panels.

Wait.

It has to has a LCD cable hooked up to it to from the LCD panel control board to the?

I was just running HDMI from the raspberry Pi to the LCD panel control board and an LCD cable didn't come with the kit...so I guess I need to plug that in from the LCD control panel to the Raspberry Pi?

#11 9 years ago

I think there's a lot of confusion with this setup in general. Basically you have your Raspberry Pi, your DMD driver board from the original machine, the DMD Extender, and your DMD controller board. The Pi connects to the controller board using a plain old HDMI cable. The game's DMD driver board (biggest board with the ROM chips) connects to the DMD Extender's DMD IN connection using the skinny ribbon cable (not the fat one coming from the backbox). Then finally, the small black 2-row connector goes from the LCD controller board to the screen itself.

#12 9 years ago

Yup! That's exactly how I have it set up. From the small ribbon coming off the DMD controller board , then HDMO out to the LCD controller board and that's it. Seems simple enough that it should work!

#13 9 years ago
image1.JPGimage1.JPG
#14 9 years ago

Holy snap, that's one cruddy fuse hack! F1 through F4 are all used for GI, one per string. You will have to remove that and solder in some new fuse clips.

https://greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=Fuse+clip+high+current&sprice=&stype=&scat=

#15 9 years ago
IMG_2939.JPGIMG_2939.JPG IMG_2940.JPGIMG_2940.JPG IMG_2941.JPGIMG_2941.JPG
#16 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoodspeed:

Yup! That's exactly how I have it set up. From the small ribbon coming off the DMD controller board , then HDMO out to the LCD controller board and that's it. Seems simple enough that it should work!

If the games original DMD controller is dead that would cause your large DMD to show up completely dead, and then cause the DMD extender kit to also not show any image.

#17 9 years ago

So frustrating...is there a way to test this board without another machine around to pop it in or use that DMD control board?
Or I guess it's buy one and roll the dice...

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoodspeed:

So frustrating...is there a way to test this board without another machine around to pop it in or use that DMD control board?
Or I guess it's buy one and roll the dice...

not that I know of, to top it off I believe that DMD driver board is also unique to the large DMD games. Not sure where that board is available. You could try sending it in to Clive at Coin Op cauldron and he can test it and repair it if needed.

#19 9 years ago

I have determined that there is an issue with the 5v power supply, as it does not always boot. I have confirmed the DMD driver board is not booting. Sorry but I have no idea how to read that analog meter.

#20 9 years ago

I believe the board set is the same as Batman Forever. If so, I believe I had the same issue you are having (machine will turn on, but nothing boots and display does not come on).

A common problem it seems, is a leaking cap on the power board in the backglass (top left board). Check out the capacitor at C2 or C3 and see if it's leaking. You may have to unplug and remove this board to look on the back. All it took for me, was some rubbing alcohol and soldering on a new capacitor and voila, works like a champ now.

#21 9 years ago

Clean as a popcorn fart.

IMG_2985.JPGIMG_2985.JPG
#22 9 years ago

I'm looking at this silly thing and see that the 26 pin ribbon cable just looks ugly. All twisted up. No cuts in it, but it just looks like it's been folded a few times or something.

I'm ordering a new one to just see what happens

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-sega-display and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.