(Topic ID: 324286)

Dmd screen problem

By ababapanos

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hello . I have a problem with the dmd on my creature from the black lagoon. when I play after some time the screen stops showing normally and to fix it, I close the pinball and open it again and then it works normally.

however, the problem does not stop, it happens again and again. what could be wrong?

#2 1 year ago

Looks like bad data. Try reseating all your ribbon cables inside the backbox especially the ones from the CPU to the DMD driver board and from the DMD driver board to the DMD. You do not need to remove the cables, just lift up slightly and push back down.

If that doesn't help might be a bad high voltage section on your DMD driver board or a bad display. Try reseating ribbon cables first.

The last thing we'd try is swapping DMD driver boards and DMDs from your WCS94 game.

#3 1 year ago

^ What he said.

In case your ribbon cables are dodgy, Marco has a set:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RC1165

#4 1 year ago

I took the cables out and put them back on the board but it didn't change. he did it to me two other times. I noticed that every 3 games this happens at the end of the third game, after the screen says game over. then if I turn off the machine and turn it on again, it will work normally again.

#5 1 year ago

I'd first swap in the DMD driver board from your other game. If it works, it means that the HV section on the other board is toast. If it still is wonky, swap in the DMD and see if it works. Luckily you have another game with the same parts to figure out what is going on.

#6 1 year ago

The fact that it comes and goes, I’m thinking it’s a cold solder joint(s). Possibly the ribbon cable wiring, but I’d reflow solder on the DMD(especially around where the ribbon cable connects) and also where it connects on the CPU.

If that doesn’t fix it, swap out the ribbon cables. If neither of those fix it, then I’d look to the suggestions above. Make sure your signal path is solid, before troubleshooting boards or components.

I’ve brought back quite a few DMDs, just by reflowing cold solder joints.

#7 1 year ago

So the problem is very strange. . It only happens on the game over screen. when he shows the video with the car and it's interesting, but not every time. and it starts every time it sounds like I won a game

#8 1 year ago

run and test dmd display and give me this all the times

#9 1 year ago

Do what Schudel5 is telling you. Replace your DMD driver board with the one from your WCS94. More than likely your DMD driver board is flaking, particularly the high voltage section. Report back once you’ve tried that solution.

#10 1 year ago

You may have a combination of problems.
1. Outgassed display
2. Low high voltages
3. Failed RAM on the DMD controller.

Best to swap controller boards like schudel5 suggested.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Olive Branch, MS
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Bloomfield, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 448.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 27.95
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 449.00
$ 449.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.