Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by C_S_S
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sega_Frankenstein.jpg
    WPC95_8.jpg
    WPC95_7.jpg
    WPC95_6.jpg
    WPC95_4.jpg
    WPC95_3.jpg
    WPC95_2.jpg
    WPC95_1.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    pic9a.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    pic7.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 DMD Saver Purpose Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #2 Individual games supported by each of the 3 versions Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #6 DMD Saver Install - Williams WPC (DMD Saver Version 2) Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #27 DMD Saver Install - WPC95 Version Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider philgreg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 8 years ago

Hi,
    I did not read every post, but I didn't spot an answer to this. When a DMD is outgassing it draws more current hence puts a heavy load on the power supply components, which may in turn fry some components such as bridge rectifiers.
    Does your product isolate this to the DMD saver board, so if anything gets damaged it would be that board and nothing else?
    Or would it reduce the current enough to eliminate the problem altogether?
    How would you know enough is enough and the DMD needs to be replaced with or without the board?

Thanks!
    Phil

#65 8 years ago

I'd have to go back and look into it, but I had to replace a bridge rectifier that was fried, and I believe on the path to the large DMD. I blew up a fuse on the power supply board when doing the screen test, when it's fully lit up as well.
    I'd need to go back and look which fuse and which rectifier, but pretty sure it puts some stress on the power supply as well.

#67 8 years ago

Well don't quote me on that just yet, I'll go back and look tonight...

#68 8 years ago

But in the meantime, for the sake of discussion, how does this product extend the life of the DMD?
    The outgassing is a result of a seal that's slowly leaking, correct? This will not stop this process, but the point of the DMD saver is to put less stress on the electronic components of the DMD itself, and the power supply as well (for sure in the case of "regular" DMDs, to be verified for large ones) is that right?

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Outgassing is also caused by contamination of the gas from microscopic particles being ejected by the electrodes during normal use.

Oh, so the DMD saver helps on that end of things then.

#73 8 years ago

I'm not finding much info about it - I'm interested, but I'd definitely like to know more before I get it...

#75 8 years ago

Oh I didn't realize we had the inventor right here with us.
    Ok, looking forward to more details!

Thanks
    Phil

#77 8 years ago

Thank you for your answer, your english is better than my german.
    So, you are positive that an outgassing DMD does not put any stress on any components then? It's safe to play a game with an outgassing DMD until it's dead and gone?

And basically, what your product does is lower the voltage on a good DMD to the minimum needed and lower the refresh rate of each dot to increase their lifespan?
    Now if my DMD is already outgassing, thus needing a higher voltage, can it be adjusted to feed a higher voltage to squeeze longer life out of it?

#81 8 years ago

Well, many thanks for the explanations.
    I haven't had the time to check, but I'll see if the display tests blow a fuse on my power supply. I would guess that if they do it would logically be the +5V.
    In the meantime I'll look into getting my display repaired, and might spring for your product once it is.

Thank you for your answers.

#83 8 years ago

So... in theory... one that has a 192x64 DMD that barely lights up anymore (only after a few minutes of heating up, say), could increase the voltage with the theoretical solution you outlined to light it back up, then once this theoretical solution has brought back the DMD to life to the expense of even faster aging.
    Then put a DMD saver to lower the duty cycle and even things out, protecting the DMD.

Of course, this being theoretical, and not knowing exactly the state of the DMD, but say one that has been working with a dark corner until recently and now only lights up after being on 5 minutes... do you think enough life can be squeezed out of it to justify going through the work?

...Theoretically, of course...

#86 8 years ago

4 192x64s left at Vishay for 663$ a pop + shipping.
    Considering it's not high value machines that use them it's hard to justify the investment, also considering that there seems to be a couple replacement solutions already implemented (DMD extender) or on the verge of being potentially available (LED boards).

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

In theory, that works, but there is a practical problem.
    Above we spoke about the Bally/WMS controller boards.
    But the large DMD 192x64 are used in DATA-EAST/SEGA machines only. See the following.
    For example, DE/SEGA Frankenstein, there are in the DMD 192 columns and 64 rows (192x64). The data interface is identical to that of WPC devices. The only difference is, that more columns and rows are to be served.
    Due to the twice the number of rows the (fixed by the CPU) duty cycle is only about 1.5%. For a brand new display, that is good, because the shorter the duty cycle, the better. But if the display ages and the cells become corroded more and more, it is clear, that the cells become dimmer and dimmer and as the duty cycle is "only" 1,5%, here the aging of the cells become previously noticeable than on standard panels (128x32).
    The ignition voltage CANNOT be increased as simple (changing 3 z-diodes) as in Bally/WMS machines, as the ignition voltage is generated on the display panel itsself with a small power supply, that itsself is powered by the +18VDC in the pinball machine (The 18V coming from P3 are converted to the following fixed output voltages at P1 - P1-8: +80 vdc, P1-2: -90 vdc (vrw), P1-1: -100 vdc) - this example is for a VISHAY-DALE display - see attached image at the end of this post.
    It would be required a significant effort, to increase the ignition voltage here, e.g. by making a new power supply with a higher output voltage (max. 205 VDC).
    It therefore can only be highly recommended , especially in the large 192x64 displays to use the DMD-Saver as early as possible.

You make it right, see my last sentence before - and with Rob, you will have the best guy at you side.
    Sega Frankenstein.JPG

Well, thank you again for the detailed explanations.
    I guess I'll just have to be on standby to see which replacement solution makes the most sense, I guess at the point I'm at I'll probably have to look into the DMD extender solution.

Cheers
    Phil

1 week later
    #90 8 years ago

So you guys had me doubting my misinformed diagnosis... Reseated all connectors to the dmd and reseated the fuse, and it lights right up and stays on.
    I do have one corner that's a little darker, which shows signs of """ outgassing """, so I guess I'd be a good candidate for the dmd extender after all.

1 week later
    #92 8 years ago

Mine's in the mail, I'll post an update here...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider philgreg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-savers-from-german-pinball-vids-review?tu=philgreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.