Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cliffy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

They lose their connections from vibration from the speakers.Theres a way
to fix it with epoxy glue but be careful if you are planning on soldering those
traces are close together.

To calrify Mikes point a bit you need to use a *conductive* epoxy or paint. Plain ol' clear two part epoxy is an insulator and will defeat your objective.

I've fixed DMD's with ribbon type connectors using copper window defroster paint available at your local auto arts store *cheap*. The copper paint itself has very little mechanical strength so after I test that all is working I then put a few drops of super glue on the repair to give it some rigidity.

Others recommend silver bearing conductive glue. This is VERY expensive and is intended for electronic prototypers for quickly adding or modding traces on circuit boards. It does the same thing as the cheaper copper paint but is overkill in my opinion. It also has no mechanical strength and would pop off again easily if not glued down.

As for drilling, I admire whomever was able to pull this off. Number one, you would need a diamond coated drill bit to cut the glass. Number two, you risk outgassing the plasma wich wold immediately destroy the display and number three, you risk cracking the glass. I have had some luck chipping the edge of the glass away with a carbide pointed metal scribe. I had to use my magnified headgear to do this and still had the same risks as mentioned above. I was unable to expose enough of the lead to solder but was able to use the copper paint to make the connection again.

In the end, be prepared to buy a new DMD but certainly use the broken one as a learning tool!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cliffy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-repair-anyone?tu=cliffy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.