8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by drbond
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I don't think the DMD in the Star Wars is outgassed For one, it doesn't look outgassed, no black dots. It also has random "display noise" throughout the display.
    But something is wrong with it. Likely a failed chip or something. I installed the Display Glass in my LOTR, using the cables and display driver board from the LOTR and it worked clearly for a few seconds and then went back to showing random "Noise" like it does in the SW. There is also, audible white noise, coming from it. Since everything works on the LOTR side, and the only thing changed was the display itself, the problem has to be on the display. Any ideas if this can be fixed? Can the chips be changed out? Would like to save a $125 display if I can.

#2 8 years ago

It is most likely the display driver board. Check voltages coming from it, also could be an IC on said board that had given up the ghost. If the board is working in another game then it is fine, but did you use the same cable in the LOTR? Sometimes those ribbon cables go south so I would check it, then dmd driver.

#3 8 years ago

Seal, anywhere where I can look at a schematic?

#4 8 years ago

I'm sure most know this site but here's some info on the DE DMDs.

http://www.pinrepair.com/de/index3.htm#dots

#5 8 years ago

I used all the LOTR's cables and driver board. The only thing I used from the SW was the glass display board itself. So the ribbon cables are good, the driver board is good and it gets good power. Would have to get a schematic from Cherry. I doubt it can be saved but I would like to try since I believe the plasma portion is still good.

#7 8 years ago

I gotya now. I should have read the first post better. If it does the same thing (the dmd) in both games, it is bad. I would just trash it, as it may ruin something else if you leave it in a game, or repair it wrong.

#9 8 years ago

Appears you covered most of your bases in your troubleshooting SC. Its probably best to bite the bullet and just replace the DMD.

Look on the bright side....at least you aren't trying to replace a jumbo DMD for Baywatch, Batman Forever, Maverick, or a Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. Your wallet would be in more of a hurting.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8.95
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Z
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 38.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 149.00
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    € 12.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Multigame
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 32.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside