• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RD_SDB004 (resized).png
SST_PowerBoard (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

I recently bought a SST game and immediately installed a LED color DMD. I've been fighting problems with the display going out (can still run the colordmd diagnostics with no problem). It seems its a random problem and I have to unplug and re-plug back in all the connectors for power on the color dmd and Rottendog board, small ribbon cable connecting the colordmd and the Rottendog board and the main ribbon cable that plugs into the CPU/Sound Board. The game came with a Pinsound + since the original owner said the sound doesn't work on the CPU/Sound Board. I've since added a LCD OCD board too, but that didn't affect the issues with the DMD. Any suggestions on things to check? I'm wondering if I need to send the CPU/Sound board out to get checked out.

Another issue I get is that when I advance from Antilles to Zegema Beach, the screen will freeze with everything in a blue color, but sometimes it will reset and continue to work.

#2 5 years ago

I have sst with a color dmd. It has all stock boards though and I haven't experienced these problems on any of my color dmd pins. With that said, my gut would also think the sound/cpu board is the culprit. Some other component related to the display may have been affected when the sound damage occured.

Wish I could help out more and good luck.

#3 5 years ago

Now my dmd isn't working at all, other than the color dmd adjustment screen that works fine. Tried reseating all of the ribbon cables to include the power cables... Must be a board problem I think.

#5 5 years ago

The Rottendog power supply board has a known problem for the unregulated 12V output in that it's actually driven from the 12V regulated output. This is a change from the factory boards where the unregulated output is actually unregulated and just comes from the bridge rectifier.

Check your 12V supply, it's probably too low and struggling to power both ColorDMD and Pinsound. The ColorDMD will actually function well below 12V which is why the menu screens are working. You're issue could be with the display board...

The video freeze problems are coming from the display board and likely a result of additional 5V issues. If Rottendog is using the 12V regulator output to feed the 5V regulator (as the factory board used the 12V bridge to feed the 5V regulator), then a weak or fluctuating 12V would cause problems for 5V as well and explain the display board issues.

#6 5 years ago

Dmod, where would the 12V supply be at? I assuming I'm checking the power with my multimeter with the power to the game turned on.

Also, I unplugged the power connector to the Pinsound +, but that didn't fix the dmd.

#7 5 years ago

If the display stopped showing video all together after you started reseating cables, please make sure
(1) The Whitestar display board (large one on the rear of the display) is receiving 5V on the two-pin power connector
(2) The two ribbon cables plugged into the Whitestar display board are seated correctly with the red stripes closest to the corners of the board.
(3) The ribbon cable plugged into the ColorDMD controller board has the red stripe closest to the buttons

If you need additional help, please contact us directly at [email protected].

EDIT: Here is a correction to a some things I posted above for SST (was thinking about DE factory boards and SEGA is different). Below is schematic for the original power supply board. 12V unregulated comes out on J16-3, fed by the 12V bridge in yellow. 5V comes out on several pins fed from the 5V regulator in red. It is driven by a different and dedicated bridge (in blue). So for the factory board, 12V should not impact 5V at all.

SST_PowerBoard (resized).pngSST_PowerBoard (resized).png

Unfortunately I can't track down a schematic of the Rottendog SDB004 to compare. However here's a discussion of the known problem that exists for the Rottendog DE power board. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-data-east-power-supply-board-design-issue

Unlike the DE board above , the 12V regulator is not on this board, it's on the audio board. So the Pinsound and ColorDMD are both directly pulling current from the same 12V bridge and the output is unregulated. Large current surges could result in voltage fluctuations at the output of the bridge.

It looks like the 5V regulator on the RD SDB004 might have a jumper option as to which bridge is driving it. You should check to see if this is jumpered to connect to the 12V bridge. If so, voltage fluctuations on 12V could be causing 5V to swing and could result in odd logic behavior or data communication problems between the boards.

RD_SDB004 (resized).pngRD_SDB004 (resized).png

#8 5 years ago

So... here's another weird thing with my game that I wonder is related to my dmd problems... When I open and close the coin door, I get a buzzing sound from the Power Driver board and my GI lights will flicker and sometimes turn off. The buzzing will go away in about 10 seconds and all the GI lights then stay on and work fine. The following link shows a video of what is going on. http://tinypic.com/m/k0njav/3

2 weeks later
#9 5 years ago

Bumping to top...

#10 5 years ago

So....the DMD problem is fixed. Evan Smith aka "The Pinsmith" stopped by and put on a new 5V power connector on the Rottendog DMD controller board. The DMD now works, however a couple of times it went out again, but simply removing the ribbon cable between the CPU board and the DMD controller board seems to get it quickly working again. The buzzing problem from the power board is still a mystery, however Evan seems to think it's either the CPU, CPU board or the power board. The power board shows evidence of previous corrosion and repair. Hopefully I can get them worked on by the greats guys at the Coin-Op Caldron.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-problems-with-starship-troopers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.