• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_20150730_002.jpg
WP_20150730_001.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Got a DATA EAST Tommy pin and is showing half graphics. made the usual voltage testing and everything ok except the Pin 2 shows 92v bit out of range

count the problem be on the DMD?

Pin 1: -125 volts (-110 to -130 volts); OK
Pin 2: -113 volts (-98 to -118 volts); 92v
Pin 3: Key
Pin 4: Ground
Pin 5: Ground
Pin 6: +5 volts (4.9 to 5.2 volts) OK
Pin 7: +12 volts (10 to 14 volts) OK
Pin 8: +62 volts (58 to 68 volts) OK

WP_20150730_001.jpgWP_20150730_001.jpg

WP_20150730_001.jpgWP_20150730_001.jpg

WP_20150730_002.jpgWP_20150730_002.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Difficult to say what it is, easiest to do is test the dmd in another machine and see what it does..
I would think the dmd is ok and it's a driver/power problem.

#3 8 years ago

My Leathal Weapon 3 had the same problem,after a couple of months the whole display went.Swapped DMD's with another game same result in LW3 and DMD from LW3 worked in other game.So I would start looking elsewhere,never bothered fixing mine because it is a Data East.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from king-pin:

,never bothered fixing mine because it is a Data East.

King-pin, Since you mention, I would also say the build quality compared with Williams it seems that data east made out of cart boxes.. in my opinion Williams build quality i superior, if thats what you mean.

would i be able to test the DMD on a Williams?

#5 8 years ago

Yes any 128x32 DMD will work in any game that uses that size.

#6 8 years ago

If it were my game, I would at first check the ribbon cable and second replace the RAM at U8 on the DMD-controller-board ...

#7 8 years ago

Installed the dmd at my judge dredd , problem is on the dmd. After thorough check the dmd looks ok with not any signs of damage. Wonder what to check next on the dmd itself?

#8 8 years ago

check the display ribbon cable that supplies power to the screen from the dmd itself or the pins if the pin type. See if any have pulled away or been damaged. DMD's are usually not serviceable. But sometimes the ribbon comes unglued and a little press is all thats needed.
If its a dale vishay you can send it in to them to be redone for 100 bucks.

#9 8 years ago

I'm thinking it's more of a circuitry problem. Usually a bad glass connection affects only a handful of columns.

#10 8 years ago

agreed. Looks that way ......but they usually never go as opposed to missing lines due to failing supply ribbon/pins which is almost every bad line/s I ever come across. Either way it looks like new dmd time.
bummer

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-problem-advice-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.