New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 141095)

DMD on LW3 Bottom row not working.

By SoundUser

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SoundUser
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi all. On the dot matrix, all the columns work on the test game diagnostics. (as the line sweeps left to right) But the bottom row doesnt light (when sweeping top to bottom). resulting in some of the dots working, some of the time during game play.

The rows are feed from a HV5222PJ chip. Ive checked and its getting 13 volts on the VCC pin. Ive also check the resistor values are okay between the chip and the rows of the display.

What should I check next? I'm wondering if the chip if damaged or the angled pin going directly into the display.
Or could it be earlier in the data chain? There is a 14 pin Motorola chip connected to the HV5222PJ.

I could check between the angled pin of the display and ground with my cheapy hand held oscilloscope? and compare it to the other row pins that are working?

and advice would be amazing.

Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

Have you tried another DMD just to make sure it's not faulty? I would do that first just to eliminate that as the problem. If it is that, you'll save yourself a lot of troubleshooting headaches.

#3 5 years ago

no, I dont have any spare parts. Or know anyone with a machine I could try my dmd on.

#4 5 years ago

I don't know any one who lives in "Unknown" either, sorry.

#5 5 years ago

Sorted now. The dmd bond wire was broken where it joins the glass. re soldered and working. Probably wont hold long. but we'll see.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Magnolia, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
2,350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlton, MA
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside