Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png
918CB382-0B85-46A0-B388-7C923B7B2459 (resized).jpeg
045BED52-D93B-491F-B343-E76B1BFA35EB (resized).jpeg
C04D1F9D-2F02-4810-B152-44E38B462DF6 (resized).jpeg
C85C1437-3DDE-4C72-8DA7-6C330B444597 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Allentrack86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone, first time posting in here.

Recently I played my game for a few hours and the dmd start to get glitchy until it just wouldn’t come on, and then the game wouldn’t power on.

I reseated the ribbon cable and this let the game boot and the dmd right back up so I ordered new ribbon cables from Marcos.

Put the new ribbon cables in and the game now boots but the dmd is really displaying different random sections on/off very time I turn it on.

I tried to mix and match old ribbon cables with new ribbon cables until I settled in the new set. This time I went to power the game on and nothing.

I unplugged all the ribbon cables except from power to cpu. Fired right up, added the fliptronics board and sound board and everything works fine up until I plug the ribbon cable from the fliptronic board to the dmd board. When I do that, the game won’t power up.

The ribbon from the power board to the dmd board connected still allows it to turn on.

Regardless of the combination, the dmd still shows intermittent. I left it on for a while and played some games, looks like some of the dmd woke up a bit and displayed most of the dots but still not clearly.

I’m about to see if pushing on the U9 chip affects it tomorrow. Also if there are cold solder joints under the connector for the ribbon cable on the dmd board.

Any other thoughts??

C85C1437-3DDE-4C72-8DA7-6C330B444597 (resized).jpegC85C1437-3DDE-4C72-8DA7-6C330B444597 (resized).jpeg045BED52-D93B-491F-B343-E76B1BFA35EB (resized).jpeg045BED52-D93B-491F-B343-E76B1BFA35EB (resized).jpegC04D1F9D-2F02-4810-B152-44E38B462DF6 (resized).jpegC04D1F9D-2F02-4810-B152-44E38B462DF6 (resized).jpeg

#3 4 years ago

Here’s the back of the dmd board. My friend suggested the high voltage area be replaced.

I tried pressing on the rom chips and the u9 chip and checking for visual cold solder.

None of that worked so I’m afraid it’s the board.

One thing to note. When I turn on this pin I hear like a good jolt of electricity sort of flow through the speakers. Almost like a pop. It’s has flipper fidelity in it. As does my dr dude but I only hear it on this game.

Not sure if that helps or means anything.

918CB382-0B85-46A0-B388-7C923B7B2459 (resized).jpeg918CB382-0B85-46A0-B388-7C923B7B2459 (resized).jpeg
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-dmd-scrambles-after-an-hour-or-two#post-4583827
The above link was from my issues with fish tales dmd. Hopefully in there is something that helps.

I did find this before posting.

Pressed down on the u9 chip along with every other ram/rom chip and nothing altered the fact that when I plugged the ribbon cable from the sound board to the dmd board it wouldn’t turn on. What lights were on the dmd did not get any better on the DMD either.

I’m assuming it’s that high voltage portion for the dmd board but I will post an image of the back of the dmd itself first.

Would love to get a color dmd in there.

#9 4 years ago

Test the DMD controller board in another pin just now and it worked just fine. I'm going to try and get a photo of the back of the DMD. The fishy thing is (see what I did there) that when I don't have the top ribbon cable plugged into the DMD controller board, it fires up and plays fine. When I go ahead and plug that ribbon cable in, it doesn't even start up the game.

Could it be voltage related?

1 week later
#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Since you have that issue. You might have one of the 4 connectors one row off. Reseat at all 4 of the board connections.
[quoted image]

I finally got time to look at it today. I reseated the cable at all four connections and still doesn't start up. I even tried the ribbon cable going from the power board directly to the dmd board and still doesn't power up. For some reason, it doesn't like that cable in that spot.

I was able to check the voltages at the harness from the power board and for 5.1 for the 5v and 17.8 for the 12v.

I tested the harness at the dmd coming from the DMD controller board and got:

5v at the 5v
13 at the 12v
59 at the 62v
92 at the 113
113 at the 125

It didn't matter if the DMD ribbon cable is connected or not to the DMD, as soon as I plug in J601 the machine will not turn on.

Any thoughts?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

what about if you disconnect the actual dmd ribbon cable and try to boot? Or remove the display entirely and try to boot with all other cables connected.
Your display itself may be shorting out and causing issues with the controller booting normally.</

what about if you disconnect the actual dmd ribbon cable and try to boot? Or remove the display entirely and try to boot with all other cables connected.
Your display itself may be shorting out and causing issues with the controller booting normally.

I’ve tried with the dmd connected and not connected. Doesn’t make a difference. The only thing that dictates if the game powers up is if the ribbon cable is disconnected from the dmd controller board.

Any clue and what to do. The dmd controller board I know works in another pinball. Why is this ribbon cable being plugged in stopping it from booting?

#19 4 years ago

Unplug the 3 ribbon cables from the CPU board. Does it boot now? If so, resest at all ribbon cable board connections.

Unplug the 3 ribbon cables from the CPU board. Does it boot now? If so, resest at all ribbon cable board connections.

I installed all new ribbon cables and reseated all power connections and issues persists. If ribbon cable is plugged into DMD controller board, it will not boot. DMD it plugged in doesn’t affect this so it’s data I assume coming in from ribbon cable that is screwing something up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 169.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

12,500 (OBO)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Allentrack86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-on-fish-tales-glitchy?tu=Allentrack86 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.