20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
display_192x64_cherry.jpg
IMG_4423 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4420 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4419 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

My first time on @pinsiders. I have Mary Shelly's Frankenstein pinball table and the Dot Matrix Display has gone off ! I managed to get a manual and the main connection to the DMD seems to be JN7 which has four connections 2 came from the Power Supply Board and 2 came from Bridge Rectifier 3 where there was no power at all. On checking it was found that the fuse had gone supplying the BR3 The JN7 was unplugged and loose connection found from Transformer to BR3 giving 14.7V AC and 18V DC out to JN7. Mains was switched off and JN7 was plugged in again, mains back on and Fuse to BR3 blew again. Just thought I would also mention that as I wanted to know what could cause the 8A fuse to blow I decided to disconnect the ribbon cable from the DMD to the DCB and the connector to the DCB from PSB so the only cable going to the DMD was JN7 Can anyone confirm that 18V DC is the correct voltage to go to JN7 and what may have caused the fuse to go. Any help would be much appreciated !

#2 1 year ago

Have you checked if BR3 is shorted and needs replacing ?

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Hi LTG
Yes the BR3 is fine and converting the 14.7 AC to 18V DC however I can replace it anyway just in case it is faulty when drawing current through it causing the fuse to break. My manual does not show where the 18V goes to. It does give an indication as I can see that a number of things in the diagram are 18V DC but I don't see why a display board would want 18V DC I thought the 5V from the DCM would have been enough to do the job ? I will replace the BR3 anyway and get back to you later to let you know. I don't suppose you know why the DMD needs 18V DC ?

Regards Rob ( Frankenstein )

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from FRANKENSTEIN:

I don't suppose you know why the DMD needs 18V DC ?

Sorry. No.

LTG : )

#5 1 year ago

I replaced the BR3 and checked the output was 18V DC as was the previous BR3 and when the JN7 was plugged in the fuse still blows. It has to be something on the DMD board and the only components I can see which could be a problem is that if there is a short on the transformer T1 then I may be able to replace T1. Does anyone know if the circuit board at the back of the DMD can be separated or if I bite the bullet and buy a new DMD in which case where can I get one ? There happens to be a DMD available as an upgrade from standard orange to various colours and comes with a different DMC which has a USB on it in order to program the new style board to operate. Has anyone tried one of these colour DMD's ? It does say it will replace the 192 x 64 DMD that I have ! Any help appreciated.

IMG_4419 (resized).jpegIMG_4419 (resized).jpegIMG_4420 (resized).jpegIMG_4420 (resized).jpegIMG_4423 (resized).jpegIMG_4423 (resized).jpeg
#6 1 year ago
display_192x64_cherry.jpgdisplay_192x64_cherry.jpg
#7 1 year ago

Thanks for your circuit DumbAss. I am hoping to find exactly what component is causing the 18vAC fuse to break giving 18Vdc to a board which is behind the dot Matrix display as shown above and can this be separated from the dot matrix display in order to detect the faulty component ?
I have seen a Colour DMD from ColourDMD as advertised on @pinsiders Has anyone tried one of these and will it work with my SEGA Frankenstein >

#8 1 year ago

Thanks for your circuit DumbAss. I am hoping to find exactly what component is causing the 18vAC fuse to break giving 18Vdc to a board which is behind the dot Matrix display as shown above and can this be separated from the dot matrix display in order to detect the faulty component ?
I have seen a Colour DMD from ColourDMD as advertised on @pinsiders Has anyone tried one of these and will it work with my SEGA Frankenstein >

Yes it will work. It is an amazing upgrade. Here it is in my Maverick.

20200925_185254 (resized).jpg20200925_185254 (resized).jpg20200925_185257 (resized).jpg20200925_185257 (resized).jpg20200925_185532 (resized).jpg20200925_185532 (resized).jpg20210828_201935 (resized).jpg20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#9 1 year ago

Many Thanks crujones4life Did you get your upgrade from ColorDMD and was it the X-LED 192 x 64 I would like to hear from anyone else who has used the X-LED and were colorDMD helpful in getting you up and running ? Frankenstein Pinsider I notice that UltraPeepi had a problem and it was mentioned about the X- LED 192x64 by PinballManiac40 and I don't know if they got an X-LED 192x64 collar DMD but I am having a great problem getting one. all seem to be out of stock ! A anyone know where else I may get one as I may have a 2 months wait ? Pinsider

#10 1 year ago

Many Thanks crujones4life Did you get your upgrade from ColorDMD and was it the X-LED 192 x 64 I would like to hear from anyone else who has used the X-LED and were colorDMD helpful in getting you up and running ? Frankenstein Pinsider I notice that UltraPeepi had a problem and it was mentioned about the X- LED 192x64 by PinballManiac40 and I don't know if they got an X-LED 192x64 collar DMD but I am having a great problem getting one. all seem to be out of stock ! A anyone know where else I may get one as I may have a 2 months wait ? Pinsider

Yes it us a ColorDMD XLED. Worth every penny!

4 weeks later
#11 1 year ago

Yes it will work since it is released in full color. Go for it.
https://shop.colordmd.com/x-led-192x64-replacement-display-for-frankenstein-pinball-machine/

Batman Forever looks awesome with that large display in color.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-not-working-on-mary-shelly-s-frankenstein and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.