(Topic ID: 257222)

DMD not working on GNR

By Williampinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DMD voltages (resized).png
    2019-12-10 13_58_56-DMD not working on GNR _ Data East _ Sega _ Pinside.com - Internet Explorer (resized).png
    Guns n Roses (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Hi everyone ,I am restoring my GNR and everything worked just fine until I got it all back together and now just the DMD will not come on at all but everything els works fine as it should anyone know what could be why the DMD is not coming on ,is there a fuse for it too check ?

Thanks, for any help on this

#2 4 years ago

Yes there are 2 fuses on the dot matrix board in the backbox pull them out and test with meter also re-seat the ribbon cables

#3 4 years ago

Ok will try that first and let you know thanks

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Ok will try that first and let you know thanks

Sounds good

#5 4 years ago

2 fuses? I believe you might be thinking of B/W DMD controller board.

#6 4 years ago

Check the orientation of the ribbon cables, shown in yellow boxes. If one is swapped around on one end, that will give a blank DMD.

Also make sure you have 5volts to the power connector to the DMD controller board, shown in the orange box. Sometimes wiggling this connector can bring back the screen.

If any of that does not help, test the voltages (-112v, -100, 12v, 5v, 62v) at the DMD power connector.

Guns n Roses (resized).pngGuns n Roses (resized).png

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

2 fuses? I believe you might be thinking of B/W DMD controller board.

Oops sorry yes I was thinking of B/W..

#8 4 years ago

so far the ribbon cable is right the Red line is both on #1 I will check the others later today and get back you all thanks for the help .

#9 4 years ago

Are the insert lamps on the playfield working?

#10 4 years ago

Yes all lamps are working on playfield and backbox

#11 4 years ago

Just checking for 5v ribbon cables are right that's not it

#12 4 years ago

Probably a good time to test the (-112, -100, 12, 5 and 62) voltages on the DMD power cable.

#13 4 years ago

Probably a good time to test the (-112, -100, 12, 5 and 62) voltages on the DMD power cable.

Ok how do I check them ,I just check the 5v and its ok there's 5v there

#14 4 years ago

DMD power connector is on the left side in the red box. You can use pins 4 or 5 for your ground meter lead. Remember not to cross the streams (meter leads). Sorry for the GB joke.

1 -112v
    2 -100v
    6 12v
    7 5v
    8 62v2019-12-10 13_58_56-DMD not working on GNR _ Data East _ Sega _ Pinside.com - Internet Explorer (resized).png2019-12-10 13_58_56-DMD not working on GNR _ Data East _ Sega _ Pinside.com - Internet Explorer (resized).pngDMD voltages (resized).pngDMD voltages (resized).png

#15 4 years ago

Ok lol I am getting
    1-114.9
    2-92.2
    6-5.0
    7-12.0
    8-.3
    So 6 7 8 not good 8should have 62v and it doesn't ?

#16 4 years ago

Ok lol I am getting
    1-114.9
    2-92.2
    6-5.0
    7-12.0
    8-.3
    So 6 7 8 not good 8should have 62v and it doesn't ?

Would u know why 6,7 is the other way around 8 has none thanks for any help

#17 4 years ago

Would u know why 6,7 is the other way around 8 has none thanks for any help

Right, other way around. I was trying to remember off the top of my head.

So having no 62v is not good. Post a picture of your power supply please.
    1 and 2 should only have 12v difference, so currently that is even a problem if the DMD is still connected. Power supply rebuild sounds in order. Also, the capacitors are old as well, so would be good to change them too.

#18 4 years ago

What's B/W mean ,and why is there no power too the 8 ,u said it should be 62 v

Thanks again for the help

#19 4 years ago

Bally/Williams WPC DMD games.

Power supply needs repair.

#20 4 years ago

My GnR dmd was dead when I picked it up. I swapped in my Tommy display and left the controller board and it worked perfectly. There is definitely some circuitry and chips on the actual display and one of the chips was probably causing it to be dead but never did go back and debug it. I could see it got really warm at some point.

#21 4 years ago

This is quite the intense repair. So either have to decide to repair, send it out for repair or buy a replacement power supply. I would recommend the Xpin or another rebuilt original if you go route of another board.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#PS_520-5047-01_-_High_Voltage_Missing_at_the_DMD_display

You could also go with a ColorDMD. Then you would not need to repair this section at all since it will not need these voltages.

#22 4 years ago

Ok it would be a fuse that's not giving the 62v ,I do a tec guy that lives near me I could get in

#23 4 years ago

I don't see any black or dark marks on the power borad at all ,the weard thing is this worked fine before I took it apart and I put it all back the way it was lol

#24 4 years ago

That is the way it goes with the old DE power supplies. One day it can work fine and not another.

The fuse related to the high voltage is the 1/2 amp. If it was out, you also would not have any of the 3 high voltages, -112, -100 along with no 62v.

#25 4 years ago

Need to check also if your DMD shorted out as well. Unplug that DMD power connector. With power off on the game, set your multimeter to ohms and check from the ground pin 4 or 5 to pin 8. If it is zero ohms on the DMD, it will also have an issue.

#26 4 years ago

its a data east, of course you need a power supply.

#27 4 years ago

Need to check also if your DMD shorted out as well. Unplug that DMD power connector. With power off on the game, set your multimeter to ohms and check from the ground pin 4 or 5 to pin 8. If it is zero ohms on the DMD, it will also have an issue.

Ok thanks so much for your help
    Will

#28 4 years ago

Ok checked the ohms on the DMD seems all good thanks again bud
    Happy flipping

#29 4 years ago

So does this mean it's for sure my power board

Thanks,

#30 4 years ago

If you test the voltage at the end of the DMD power cable without the DMD plugged in and still have no 62v, yep bad power supply.

#31 4 years ago

If you test the voltage at the end of the DMD power cable without the DMD plugged in and still have no 62v, yep bad power supply.

Grap lol I have a guy coming this Thursday too fix the power board

Thanks again bud

#32 4 years ago

I would be surprised if he has the parts on hand. Not often this failure occurs. I even suggest the power supply gets all new capacitors, as they do wear out. Between the high voltage and capacitors , you may be getting close to a cost of new Xpin board.

#33 4 years ago

Yea this guy has most things on hand but he will want too go though everything first too make sure but I will let you know what it was for sure .

Take care bud

#34 4 years ago

My tec guy is coming this Thursday will let you all know what he finds

#35 4 years ago

Update it was just a transistor on the power supply why it wasn't getting the 62v

#36 4 years ago

That is great. Still suggest at the smaller sized capacitors get replaced as they do like to leak.

C2 (100uf 25v), C3 (47uf 63V), and C7 (330uf 25V). These caps tend to leak their corrosive contents on the PCB and kill the 5VDC circuit.

#37 4 years ago

Ok great thanks for the help
    Happy flipping

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-not-working-on-gnr- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.