Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161214_183640 (resized).jpg
20161214_134617 (resized).jpg
20161214_134411 (resized).jpg
20161214_134610 (resized).jpg
20161214_134257 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

My South Park just started not showing the interaction animation. Meaning, it keeps just playing the standby animation of a town slowly passing by. It seems intermittent. Any ideas as to what to might cause this?
Thanks!
Mike

#2 7 years ago

So when it is stuck, the animation is still moving, not static image? When you say standby animation, you mean the attract mode animation? Does it play all the standby animation or just the town graphics? How long will it stay this way, will it eventually correct itself?

#3 7 years ago

It generally only plays the town animation. I just played a game and the first ball was stuck on the "kick the baby" animation for the whole ball. Then the next ball (ball 6?) and the third (ball 7) were stuck on the town animation. When the game was over it flashed this audit message as well. Attract mode is just a black screen. Here's a few pictures of what is happening.

20161214_134257 (resized).jpg20161214_134257 (resized).jpg

20161214_134610 (resized).jpg20161214_134610 (resized).jpg

20161214_134411 (resized).jpg20161214_134411 (resized).jpg

20161214_134617 (resized).jpg20161214_134617 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Oh and btw, the difference in score between ball six and seven just happened. I didn't actually score any points between the two balls.

#5 7 years ago

You didn't change anything to the game recently (like install a new eprom ?) ?
Then I would first suspect the flatcable going to the dmd controller.

#6 7 years ago

I haven't touched the boards.

More weirdness;

20161214_183640 (resized).jpg20161214_183640 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

Does the MPU have any battery alkaline damage? Could you post a picture of the board near the battery pack?

#8 7 years ago

Did you just get this pin? From the picture, it looks like there is a ball missing in the ball trough. The active switch by itself is the Kenny Opto, may be out of alignment or not working.

1 week later
#9 7 years ago

There is not a missing ball. I just replaced the game rom and the display Chip. Still no change.

#10 7 years ago

Not sure if there is any acid damage. There was some battery leakage but I replaced the batteries and everything seemed ok.

#11 7 years ago

Have you replaced the ribbon cables? It's a cheap place to try. I had all the wrong sounds on my T2 once and it was just a ribbon cable. It might do the same for dots too.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Deadmeat13:

Not sure if there is any acid damage. There was some battery leakage but I replaced the batteries and everything seemed ok.

Could you post a picture of the board near the battery pack? It is not always easy to notice battery damage.

#13 7 years ago

I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, but shouldn't he try to diagnose the problem before replacing random parts?

#14 7 years ago

The fact that it is displaying the wrong frames and those frames have bad data built into them (random scores, ball 7, etc) points to the frames being generated incorrectly.

It is unclear to me if that function is performed on the display board or the CPU board. I would guess the CPU board which means having a good look at the potential battery acid damage a good idea.

Do you know anyone with this era game? If so, can you take your display and try it in his/her game? You can unplug the display and speaker connectors, remove the ground straps and take the whole speaker/display panel to your friends to see if it works properly in their machine.

Heck, if you want to drive up to Cumming, you can try all your boards in my South Park.

#15 7 years ago

This just occurred to me, this era machine has the display ROM on the display driver board. This probably means the frames are generated on the display board. I would suspect the ribbon cable between the CPU and display boards. Carefully inspect that you have the pins lined up properly and pin 1 on each board is on the red tracer side of the cable.

If that all looks good, try swapping the cable end-for-end. This sometimes temporarily resoves a connection issues on one of the connections.

3 weeks later
#16 7 years ago

Did you ever get this problem solved?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Auburn, WA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-not-showing-correct-animations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.