DMD not coming on

By snowvictim

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hey everyone!

I'm in the end phase of resurrecting my TAF. The game was a project pin in a really miserable state, but I did my best to bring it back to life. So today, I wanted to do a kind of diagnostic wire up to see whether I needed to replace any boards (particularly the CPU board). I was expecting this to be the case, but I low-key wished it would just come on.

My wishes remained wishes, there is no image from the DMD. The good thing is that the diagnostic LEDs on the CPU board indicate no problems, so at least I know the CPU board is fine. The DMD controller looks alright, but I'm not sure where to look for faults as I've never had a DMD-related issue before. I'm planning on putting a ColorDMD in anyway sometime in the future. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Hey everyone!
I'm in the end phase of resurrecting my TAF. The game was a project pin in a really miserable state, but I did my best to bring it back to life. So today, I wanted to do a kind of diagnostic wire up to see whether I needed to replace any boards (in particular the CPU board). I was expecting this to be the case, but I low-key wished it would just come on.
My wishes remained wishes, there is no image from the DMD. The good thing is that the diagnostic LEDs on the CPU board indicate no problems, so at least I know the CPU board is fine. The DMD controller looks alright, but I'm not sure where to look for faults as I've never had a DMD-related issue before. I'm planning on putting a ColorDMD in anyway sometime in the future. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

#3 5 years ago

OK, this is super embarassing… J603 was upside down Note to self: always double check all the ribbon cables.

#4 5 years ago

Nice you could find it yourself
funny how easy it is to make a simple mistake.
You didn't say, did it boot ok?

#5 5 years ago

Ah, it's usually the easiest fixes that aren't the most apparent ones Yup, booted fine. One column is dead, but honestly I was expecting worse than that given the condition of the game. Such joy seeing the LEDs come on...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-not-coming-on?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.