Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by j_m_
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WhiteWater_with_Glare_Guard_001.JPG
    005.JPG
    006.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Has anyone Tried the DMD NoN Glare film yet.. Shanetastic has a Polarized sheet over his TZ. I noticed that Reflection is ALOT Less, but it makes the DMD a LIl-darker too.

Link to the film:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2212&parent=0

#2 12 years ago

SC has something on his but I cannot remember what it is. I noticed it was there right away because it helped a lot, whatever he has on there.

#3 12 years ago

It works great BR

#4 12 years ago

I have it on my AFM along with the PDI non-glare glass. It helps. It doesn't get rid of all the glare, but for $10 I think it is worth it.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I have it on my AFM along with the PDI non-glare glass. It helps. It doesn't get rid of all the glare, but for $10 I think it is worth it.

PDI Glass ,,,, Only on the AFM i Bet.. HIGH $ Glass for a HIGH $ Pin..

I think i will call Terry @ PBL and Order me a Couple of the Glare sheet's..

#6 12 years ago

I have pinball life's no glare film on my cftbl. It works great, but it does dim the dmd some. The dimming doesn't bother me.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

PDI Glass ,,,, Only on the AFM i Bet.. HIGH $ Glass for a HIGH $ Pin.. [8)]

Yeah, it is only on AFM. Since I spent all the time and money on restoring it, I figured I may as well put the expensive glass on it to help show off all the work.

When I first got the glass, AFM wasn't done so I put it in Iron Man. Taking it out of IM and putting back regular glass was a real downer. IM looked so nice with the non-glare glass. I'm really tempted to order another sheet but I've been telling myself I need to be good and hold off.

#8 12 years ago

I have it on all three of my DMD pins. It dims the display a bit, but it's a great product. I'd say it reduces the reflection by about 85%. It seems to be most effective on my Tommy where it is mounted on the outside of the machine. On TZ and STTNG, it is mounted directly to the DMD itself, and I think the clear plastic of the speaker panel defracts the light and makes the reflection more noticeable. Both of my speaker panels have some scratches in them, so it may look better with a brand new or perfectly clear panel.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Taking it out of IM and putting back regular glass was a real downer. IM looked so nice with the non-glare glass. I'm really tempted to order another sheet but I've been telling myself I need to be good and hold off.

Where did you Order the Non Glare Glass from stangbat ? PBL , BAY , etc.. I would Love to have a Sheet for TZ to knock down on the B/G Glare ..

My TZ speaker Panel Look's ok ,, but I'd like to have a New Cover as Well.. Below ,Not 2-bad !!

.. http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1341

#10 12 years ago

I would just go with the glare guard myself BR I don't like how the film darkens the DMD. It totally eliminated DMD glare and does not affect the brightness of the DMD.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Where did you Order the Non Glare Glass from stangbat ? PBL , BAY , etc.. I would Love to have a Sheet for TZ to knock down on the B/G Glare ..

From Joey at Pinball Decals. He's offering a discount to Pinsiders (down the page a bit):

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pdi-glass-rgp-posting-seems-to-be-dissappearing

#12 12 years ago

So a Little over $ 300.00 a sheet .... Man... Believe I will Pass.. Tonight I will Put a blanket over the head on TZ and see how it lOOk's without all the Glare..

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

So a Little over $ 300.00 a sheet .... Man... Believe I will Pass.. Tonight I will Put a blanket over the head on TZ and see how it lOOk's without all the Glare.. [8)]

Yeah, by the time it is shipped it is over $300, even with the discount. It is probably best to stay away because it is coated with the same addictive substance as pinball machines. Once you lay hands on it, you'll want more. You can't help yourself. Best to not even start in the first place.

#14 12 years ago

I have it on all my pins. Love it. I prefer the pinball pal version over the pinbits. Seems to work better. Have not tried pinballlife's version. It does make the DMD a little darker but I quickly got used to it and don't even notice it anymore.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I have the non-glare glass on my machines, and I love it, but it doesn't have any significant effect on glare from the DMD or the backglass. After some experimenting, I decided to go with 3M microlouver film to cover my DMD and backglass. It's expensive (although cheaper than the non-glare glass), but it eliminates the glare 100%. The less expensive solutions I looked at reduce the glare, but they don't eliminate it. One thing I didn't like about the Pinball Life film was that the adhesive strips cover and block the far left and far right DMD columns.

Here is a detailed comparison of the Pinball Life film vs. the 3M microlouver film:

http://www.thekorn.net/glare_guards/

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from dxrdave:

I have the non-glare glass on my machines, and I love it, but it doesn't have any significant effect on glare from the DMD or the backglass.

In my particular case, the PDI glass actually increased the DMD reflection. To be honest, I have no idea why. I was expecting quite the opposite.

#17 12 years ago

I have 2 DMD Glare Film's on Order.. I Hope they do Justice !!!! I'll Give my thought's on this mod when installed .

2 months later
    #18 12 years ago

Well i got 2 DMD Tinted Non Glare Film's today... I Like'em .. Had No Glare on the Glass , Not enough to distract me anyway.. Worth the $ 10.00 a sheet... I installed 1 in TZ & AFM..

006.JPG006.JPG 005.JPG005.JPG

#19 12 years ago

Perhaps I didn't install mine correctly, but I have found that several of mine have started pealing away from the DMD and curling up after several months. It's a great product, but I wish it would stay in place like it's supposed to. I'm definitely going to have to do something about TOTAN. The DMD glare on that machine is particularly distracting.

#20 12 years ago

Haven't had any issues with my Pinball Pal ones and they have been on there for over a year. I put them on the DMD itself though. Just bought one from PBL for my TAF. Works fine. Personally, slight dimming of the DMD means nothing to me since I don't really watch the DMD while playing.

#21 12 years ago

I have PBL's flim on all of my machines.
    Only complaint is on STTNG and IJ the film works bes if installed on the outside of the plastic cover not on the DMD itself.

Well worth the $10 IMO.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

Well worth the $10 IMO.

Couldn't agree more. Great item.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Perhaps I didn't install mine correctly, but I have found that several of mine have started pealing away from the DMD and curling up after several months. It's a great product, but I wish it would stay in place like it's supposed to.

Happened to me, too when I applied it to the DMD. Instead, I attached it to the inside of the plastic in front of the dmd. It stays put there.

#24 12 years ago

Look forward to seeing what br's AFM looks like with it on and in action.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Look forward to seeing what br's AFM looks like with it on and in action.

The Next video of AFM will be after the Shop is Complete . lOOk-n 4-ward to it myself !!

Quoted from shanetastic:

Happened to me, too when I applied it to the DMD. Instead, I attached it to the inside of the plastic in front of the dmd. It stays put there.

I also thought about applying the Film directly to the DMD , but I cleaned the inside of the Panel with Novus 1 and wiped it Clean, I spaced the Film Evenly on All side's ,, lOOk's Great !!
    BSD won't require 1 .. These Non-Glare Film's Will be Put on All of my Pin's weather they Stay or Leave..

#26 12 years ago

I would love to see if a large sheet of this stuff would elimiate backglass glare on Sterns. Anyone know where to get a large sheet?

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Haven't had any issues with my Pinball Pal ones and they have been on there for over a year. I put them on the DMD itself though.

Mine are installed directly on the DMD as well. The ones you are using are actually a different product than what I have installed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Pinball Pal product ships flat, not curled like Terry's. I also think it incorporates micro-louvers to block the reflection, whereas Terry's is a polarized film. TheKorn did a great comparison of both products a while back on RGP.

Quoted from shanetastic:

The one on my Tommy is mounted on the outside of the plastic DMD cover, and it has stayed in place perfectly. I'm guessing it's the heat of the DMD that has caused the adhesive to lose its grip on my other games.

#28 12 years ago

This was a good comparison:

http://www.thekorn.net/glare_guards/

#29 12 years ago

I installed three of these DMD NoN Glare film last night on SS, MM, and TF LE. I have to say it makes a big difference. I had no glare at all on TZ and SS and just slight on MM after installing. The DMD glare was really annoying me on TF especially. I want to see ow the film holds up but will likely do the rest of my machines.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I installed three of these DMD NoN Glare film last night on SS, MM, and TF LE. I have to say it makes a big difference. I had no glare at all on TZ and SS and just slight on MM after installing. The DMD glare was really annoying me on TF especially. I want to see ow the film holds up but will likely do the rest of my machines.

Which brand did you get

#31 12 years ago

I just installed Pinball Lifes film on my Jurassic Park, I cant believe how good it is no reflection now, it is a little darker but well worth it.

I also found them really good to deal with fast shipping.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I would love to see if a large sheet of this stuff would elimiate backglass glare on Sterns. Anyone know where to get a large sheet?

B/Glass Glare is a Big Issue on TZ for me.. I'm thinking about Try-n something different..Installing some vehicle Window Tint on the outside of the Glass. 20% is too Dark, maybe 50% ..
    Stay Tuned !!!

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

+1

Anyone tried this or have a source for such a product?

Shawn

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

TomGWI said:I installed three of these DMD NoN Glare film last night on SS, MM, and TF LE. I have to say it makes a big difference. I had no glare at all on TZ and SS and just slight on MM after installing. The DMD glare was really annoying me on TF especially. I want to see ow the film holds up but will likely do the rest of my machines.
    Which brand did you get

Sorry, I got the Pinball Life DMD Non Glare Film.

#35 12 years ago

I still haven't tried the film products yet, as I am still very pleased with the plastic glare guards I bought which eliminate 100% of the DMD glare,here is a refresher about them and a picture of my White Water with one in use.
    I've recently bought and have been using this product and really like how effective and simple it is to use,and how it completely eliminates any DMD glare,I just really think it helps your game play.
    Kim, the owner is an acquaintance of mine and said I could post this and that he would put together a quote for you if you might be interested.Just email him from his website and mention Pinside so that he can handle it appropriately.Here's the link to his website.
    http://www.wrongcrowdproductions.com/glareGuard.htm
    The plastic glare guards are extremely effective,although, as mentioned they are visible and are not offensive,at the angle they sit you can see the bottom of the speaker panel.

WhiteWater_with_Glare_Guard_001.JPGWhiteWater_with_Glare_Guard_001.JPG

10 months later
    #36 11 years ago

I normally do not bad mouth a product. Matter of fact this will be the first time. Plastic Glare Guard suck. Not because they don't work. Because the make a game look cheap and out of place. Why not just make you a card board cut out and save your self the money? Thumbs down on this product.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

I normally do not bad mouth a product. Matter of fact this will be the first time. Plastic Glare Guard suck. Not because they don't work. Because the make a game look cheap and out of place. Why not just make you a card board cut out and save your self the money? Thumbs down on this product.

Couldn't disagree more, I have them on every game, well constructed, don't block anything of importance and are easily removed if needed, nothing permanent altered. Not really sure how they would look "cheap", they serve a direct purpose and are inexpensive.

I don't know maybe I am a minority here but sounds like some sour grapes for whatever reason, bad mouthing another respected pinside member selling a product(on a year old thread nonetheless) isn't the best way to gain momentum for your own product you are selling

#38 11 years ago

Terry's glare guards are no longer available on pinballlife.com. Does anyone know of another source for these?

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

Terry's glare guards are no longer available on pinballlife.com. Does anyone know of another source for these?

I was wondering the same thing. I need another one. I am referring to the DMD film, not the plastic shields.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from shanetastic:

I am referring to the DMD film, not the plastic shields.

Same here. I'm wondering if buying a sheet of polarizing film off eBay and cutting it to size will be the same?

#41 11 years ago

I gave up on the filters and removed them from all my games. I use Kim's glare guards on all my pins now, and to me, it's a much better solution.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I gave up on the filters and removed them from all my games. I use Kim's glare guards on all my pins now, and to me, it's a much better solution.

I bought one for my X-Men, but now it stands out. I have to have them ALL one way or another. If I can't find any more DMD film, that means that I have to buy 4 more guards and remove all of the DMD film. Argggg!!!

#43 11 years ago

as luck would have it, 3M has an office less than 5 miles from my office. I picked up a sample sheet of their ALCF-P ABR2 (vikuiti advanced light control film, light hardcoated matte front surface) during my lunch break today and I will report with my findings (and photos) this weekend

I believe that this is the same product that pinball pal was selling (at least according to the korn's comparison page)

if this suits our needs, based on the costs, I'd have to get at least 40 people (or a total of 40 pcs) together since the film is *only* sold in kits of a minimum of 10 sheets (each sheet can be cut down to make 4 filters). for the 10 sheet kit, I would be able to match the pricing of $40 per filter (plus shipping) that pinballpal.com used to sell the film for, but only if I can get close to 40 people to go in on it (this stuff is expensive!)

if I can get close to 150 people (or a total of 150 pcs), I can get the pricing down to $30 per filter (plus shipping)

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I believe that this is the same product that pinball pal was selling ...

Is the 3M product micro-louvered? If so, I believe that's what Pinball Pal was selling. The Pinball Life filter, on the other hand, is polarized.

#45 11 years ago

gweempose:
    yes, this is the micro-louvered film

if I can get enough people interested, I will be more than happy to purchase the kit, cut it to the proper size and put together "kits" (including transparent double-sided adhesive "dots" and an instruction sheet).

edit:
    I think that I'll start a new thread (instead of hi-jacking this one) and see what kind of interest it draws
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-anti-glare-film-3m-vikuiti-micro-louvered-advanced-light-control

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-non-glare-film and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.