Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by cpsystem3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys, i just bought 2 addams games and a shadow.
    They all play great, no errors.
    But one of them gives out a noise from the dmd i think, i am uploading a video now, can anybody please tell mee what this could bee?

Thank you guys.

#2 11 years ago

Sorry, cant upload mp4 videoklip in here, its 5.5mb.
    Whats the max mb upload here?

#3 11 years ago

It could be the DMD driver board. If you (or a friend) have another game of the same age and style you can swap them one at a time.

#4 11 years ago

Does the noise get louder when the DMD is displaying a lot of lines? If so then it's likely the DMD making the noise and there is nothing you can do for it really besides buying a new one. Usually it can only be heard during attract mode and once the game starts the music and sounds will drown it out. Swap DMD's between 2 machines and see if the buzz follows the DMD. I have a few machines with DMD's that make some buzz and it's really not that uncommon.

#5 11 years ago

The buzzing usually comes from the DMD itself. You should really be able to hear it when the entire DMD is lit. I would purchase a DMD just to have on hand in case it starts to fail.

#6 11 years ago

Dooes it mean its soon gonna die?

#7 11 years ago

What's the manufacturer of the DMD? If it's a Cherry they are notoriously noisy. Only solution is to replace it.

viperrwk

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from DEN:

Dooes it mean its soon gonna die?

I say 100 percent but I will say that every failing DMD (flickering, edges fading) I have come in contact with buzzes a lot.

#9 11 years ago

I've had them buzz for years before failing

I've had new displays break sitting in storage...

If you buy one to replace it 'when it fails', install the new one now and save the noisy one for a 'spare'. Nothing p*sses you off more than pulling out your new DMD you've been saving for the right moment, or that perfect pin, and finding the glass cracked.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

I say 100 percent but I will say that every failing DMD (flickering, edges fading) I have come in contact with buzzes a lot.

I have a few DMD's that make a buzzing sound and none have died on me yet and have been that way for years. He never mentioned his DMD was flickering and had edge fading.

#11 11 years ago

get a new vishay. They are silent.

#12 11 years ago

I meant to say "that i can't say for 100 percent." Didn't want to edit my post after somebody replied. I'm also weary of buzzing displays because if the DMD is failing it can stress out the components on the DMD board.

#13 11 years ago

Try adding extra grounding wires to the DMD (double down on the existing one).

If that doens't remedy your buzzing- either deal with it, or purchase a new DMD, yours is on its last legs.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-noise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.