New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 270495)

DMD just gave up the ghost. (Jurassic Park) FIXED

By gdonovan

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200623_163632 (resized).jpg
20200623_162608_1.gif
20200623_162503 (resized).jpg
20200622_073305 (resized).jpg
20200609_094722 (resized).jpg
20200609_103505 (resized).jpg
20200609_104201 (resized).jpg
20200608_122414 (resized).jpg
20200608_122053 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

Final bit of work I had to do on my sons Data East Jurassic park was replace the cap C2 just off the bridge rectifier on the power supply which was just starting to leak. Checked voltages, plugged everything in... and the DMD is dead.

Getting -114V, -94V, 12V, 5V and 66V at the connector so voltages look ok.

Oddly enough, the high/low voltages both read -118 volts when plugged in.

Anything that can be repaired or should I just resign myself to picking up another DMD? Confirmed it is the display by testing in another pin. Display was crisp with no errors or flaws of any kind at all.

No, not interested in a color dmd, I don't like the game it is, for my kid.

20200608_122053 (resized).jpg20200608_122414 (resized).jpg

#2 4 months ago

replace the DMD. They really aren't serviceable.

#3 4 months ago

So goofing about today I looked up the schematic for the Cherry display. The fact both the high and low lines for the display read the same plugged in tells me something is causing the high voltage to cross over to the low side. Look at the power coming in the first thing that struck me was the diode at D3. Breaking out the meter showed it had continuity in both directions, no good there. I cut the leads and set in a new diode and the display sprang back to life but pretty garbled. If I had to guess (and I don't know enough about circuits to fill a thimble) it would be the diode failed and the HV 5222PJ logic converter downstream from that took a spike and partially failed. The display powers up now but the content is scrambled.

For the $5 it will cost for a new chip I'll order one from mouser the next time and see if I can replace it. I have done finer work in the past, not sure my eyes and hands are up to it any longer.

20200609_094722 (resized).jpg20200609_103505 (resized).jpg20200609_104201 (resized).jpg
#4 4 months ago

Maybe its time for a pin2dmd ?

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from jorro:

Maybe its time for a pin2dmd ?

Nope, neither the time nor budget. I don't even really like the game, picked it up for my son who likes dinosaurs.

#6 4 months ago

I would confirm the DMD is a problem in another game before I start any work on it. I seen power supplies cause the same type of issues. Is that the only diode you found shorted? Also I would replace all the capacitors. I guarantee all the other smaller ones are starting to leak as well, not just C2.

I had changed those parts before, 10X magnification is definitely required to be sure you are not causing solder shorts. I hope you don't damage the pads/traces to the part removing the part as it is tough to run wires to fix trace issues.

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I would confirm the DMD is a problem in another game before I start any work on it. I seen power supplies cause the same type of issues. Is that the only diode you found shorted? Also I would replace all the capacitors. I guarantee all the other smaller ones are starting to leak as well, not just C2.
I had changed those parts before, 10X magnification is definitely required to be sure you are not causing solder shorts. I hope you don't damage the pads/traces to the part removing the part as it is tough to run wires to fix trace issues.

Yes, confirmed the problem is DMD in another pin and tested the display board to make sure no problems.

Would you suggest changing anything else out on the DMD PCB besides the one chip indicated?

#8 4 months ago

Excellent. HV 5222PJ is what I would replace next.

1 week later
#9 4 months ago

Excellent. HV 5222PJ is what I would replace next.

Not bad, I lost a few pads that goes to no where so can live with that.

20200622_073305 (resized).jpg

#10 4 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

For the $5 it will cost for a new chip I'll order one from mouser the next time and see if I can replace it. I have done finer work in the past, not sure my eyes and hands are up to it any longer.

Looks like your eyes and hands are working just fine to me. I hate surface mount stuff!
-Mike

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Looks like your eyes and hands are working just fine to me. I hate surface mount stuff!
-Mike

Getting it off is the easy part! I have a new iron with a very fine tip that will be here later today for reassembly. Curious to see if the chip swap out fixes it or was something further downstream damaged as well. I'm thinking odds are good the chip will fix it as the display does light up and all pixels seem to work if scrambled.

Fingers crossed.

#12 4 months ago

Let us know how this ends...good or bad

-Mike

#13 4 months ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike

Of course, I'm just as curious! So far 8 bucks in parts so a low risk endeavor. Worst case I'm out 8 bucks and still learned something new

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike

20200623_162503 (resized).jpg
#15 4 months ago
20200623_162608_1.gif
#16 4 months ago

Not as pretty as factory, but it works!

20200623_163632 (resized).jpg
#17 4 months ago

I had repaired 5 DMDs so far. Sometimes it is just the one at fails at the -112v rail, sometimes the 4 that use the 62v rail. Depends on what happened between the DMD and the voltage from the power supply (DE) or the WPC DMD controller (Bally/Williams)

#18 4 months ago

Playball !!

#19 4 months ago

If I were you, I would dislocate my arm patting myself on the back. Nice job, sir!

Don C.

#20 4 months ago

Very nice work. Congrats
-Mike

#21 4 months ago
Quoted from Don_C:

If I were you, I would dislocate my arm patting myself on the back. Nice job, sir!
Don C.

Thank you sir, some luck and perseverance goes a long way! It just as easily could have gone sideways and been for naught.

I'm grateful it worked out; time to find a pin project that needs a DMD! My store of spare parts grows!

#22 4 months ago

Curious how you removed it. I had removed mine with a hot air rework station at work.

#23 4 months ago

Curious how you removed it. I had removed mine with a hot air rework station at work.

Masked off the PCB with tape and used a Dremel with a with a miniature cut off wheel

Buzzed through all the pins where they enter the chip and was child's play to pop the now legless chip out and use my Hakko 301 to desolder the legs.

#24 4 months ago

Great job. There are many ways to remove, but best and easiest way I found was put some flux on all the pins so heat transfers fully, then use your solder tip to heat one leg til melted, pull it up and fold it back away from the pad using the tip as a pry tool, move on to the next pin, do the same thing until all are unsoldered, then pull off the chip. To install, clean off all old solder with solder wick, then wipe the pads clean with alcohol or whatever, add flux to the pads, position the chip and solder 3 or 4 pins to hold it in position, add some more flux to the pins, then carefully solder. Of course solder has flux, but the added flux makes the job easy. I had to replace 100 pin IC's commonly at work.

#25 4 months ago

Nicely done gdonovan!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#26 4 months ago
Quoted from Ronkz650:

Great job. There are many ways to remove, but best and easiest way I found was put some flux on all the pins so heat transfers fully, then use your solder tip to heat one leg til melted, pull it up and fold it back away from the pad using the tip as a pry tool, move on to the next pin, do the same thing until all are unsoldered, then pull off the chip. To install, clean off all old solder with solder wick, then wipe the pads clean with alcohol or whatever, add flux to the pads, position the chip and solder 3 or 4 pins to hold it in position, add some more flux to the pins, then carefully solder. Of course solder has flux, but the added flux makes the job easy. I had to replace 100 pin IC's commonly at work.

Thank you for the kind words, added your recommendation to my notes!

I have used a heatgun in the past to remove SMD but was concerned with putting too much heat into the area with the glass right behind it.

#27 4 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Nicely done gdonovan!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Thank you sir for your videos and advice on the forum, all of you that do the deep diving into the electronics are a priceless asset to the hobby and inspiration.

#28 4 months ago

Nice work! I have always thought the DMD chips are unobtainable.

#29 4 months ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Nice work! I have always thought the DMD chips are unobtainable.

I had no problem obtaining a HV 5222PJ from Mouser for $5, other brands or models of DMD might different though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne Village, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 18.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside