• 84 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by astyy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P1070088 (resized).JPG
jumpers (resized).jpg
P1070070 (resized).JPG
P1070072 (resized).JPG
P1070065 (resized).JPG
DMD (resized).jpg
display (resized).jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 months ago

4.01 display and 4.08 game

#52 8 months ago

New Ram chip arrived and installed no difference whatsoever. The ribbon cable doesn't have tabs and so can go in the socket either way (in fact it was technically the wrong way round with the red lead opposite to the No 1 pin) so I turned this round. This is had no affect and I would have thought if it was a faulty cable then turning it around would have had some impact. Think there's not much more I can try short of trying the DMD in another machine.

#53 8 months ago

MPU is also a suspect.

#54 8 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

MPU is also a suspect.

Not in this case, his issue is with regards to the actual pixels on the display. The MPU can only send commands to display a scene, a number/letter, or blank the screen.

#55 8 months ago

We shall see about that. How much does the game ROM and the RAM on the MPU have an affect on the display?

#56 8 months ago
Quoted from TinyToo:

4.01 display and 4.08 game

At least you have the current DE releases.

#57 8 months ago

Seems to put it back on power issues.

#58 8 months ago

Did you get any documents with the game about this LED display?

#59 8 months ago

No, didn't get any info at all and I can't find a manual on the Boston pinball site.

#60 8 months ago
Quoted from TinyToo:

No, didn't get any info at all and I can't find a manual on the Boston pinball site.

I suggest you call Boston Pinball and see if you can send DMD in for repair.

#61 8 months ago

Looks like a very good time to go visit astyy and test out the DMD in his machine. I would even take the ribbon cable and MPU with me.

#62 8 months ago

Looks like a very good time to go visit astyy and test out the DMD in his machine. I would even take the ribbon cable and MPU with me.

That's what I was thinking, I will see if astyy is about next time I am heading in that direction.

#63 8 months ago

Hey TinyToo not a problem we can swap out a few things to try. My Hook has a Rottendog MPU, Chad Roms, Inkonchito bridge board and also the original DMD which occasionally resets in game (a few of us seem to have this problem) so I'd be interested to see how your LED display behaves in return. Longer term I'd like a colour display.

#64 8 months ago

Thanks astyy, we go to Oxford quite often as we have family there, not too much of a detour to you. I'll contact you the next time we're going to see of you're available. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone knows what these jumpers do, particularly the one labelled "remove", which as you can see is jumpered?

jumpers (resized).jpg

#65 8 months ago

It looks like all 4 jumpers control the brightness, and each jumper represents a bit in a 4 bit value for brightness.

#66 8 months ago

Of course, being a bit dozy there, should have read the labels as one sentence!

#67 8 months ago

No problem, I've never actually seen one of these Boston Pinball displays until now. Just a guess (but it could be one level of brightness for each jumper too).

#68 8 months ago

This is the first time I have seen one used in a game, though I known about them since they have been shipping. This will be dissappointing if it turns out the DMD is proved to be the problem.

#69 8 months ago

It’s looking like that so far.

#70 8 months ago

This is the first time I have seen one used in a game, though I known about them since they have been shipping. This will be dissappointing if it turns out the DMD is proved to be the problem.

Can you remember when it was that Boston Pinball began shipping these DMDs, it would be interesting to know what is the likely earliest date for it's manufacture?

#71 8 months ago

I thought I recall a Pinside thread created by them, so far no luck locating that thread. I emailed them asking how long, if any, the warranty is on this display.

1 week later
#72 7 months ago

A guy on Facebook was posting about the same issue. Here is his original post:

“Hey guys back to my Hook , the DMD resets during the game , I’ve repinned the connector at the power supply , still no change , what voltage is causing the reset , 5 v, or 12 v , I have not repinned the connector at the DMD yet”

Then just today he followed up with:

“Problem fixed ! Reflowed DMD header connector , replaced both ends of the power connector woohoo!”

#73 7 months ago

Thanks Chad, co-incidentally I was inspecting the DMD yesterday, I thought one of the header solders looked suspect so I reflowed it. I also saw one of the chips wasn't lying flat, so I pulled it and found this (see photo). I straightened the pin and re-inserted it, hopeful that I'd found a real problem at last. Again no affect whatsoever. Thought I'd try one last thing and have ordered a new Zilog Z80 chip. On a slightly different subject has anyone produced a new instruction card for your v5 code?

P1070088 (resized).JPG

#74 7 months ago

Well I replaced the Zilog Z80 CPU chip and as with everything else I tried it made no difference. So I think that's about it, and I will just put up with it as it is, unless anybody has any clear idea of what the problem could be. At least it doesn't affect game play.

#75 7 months ago

Ask for a refund from Boston Pinball.

#76 7 months ago

Afraid I didn't buy it, it was already installed when I bought Hook a few weeks ago, I've no documents about it and no idea how old it is.

#77 7 months ago

Well you may be out of luck then. Check out this thread, I would vouch for the excellent color DMDMK66 display.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way

#78 7 months ago

I really suggest going over to astyy's house soon so we know what the issue is. Boston Pinball Company tells me they are willing to help. Problem is, need it proved that the LED DMD is the issue.

#79 7 months ago

I really suggest going over to astyy's house soon so we know what the issue is. Boston Pinball Company tells me they are willing to help. Problem is, need it proved that the LED DMD is the issue.

Thanks, I am in contact with astyy and hope to try my DMD in his Hook sometime in April, will let you know what the results are.

2 weeks later
#80 7 months ago

Well I finally got around to visiting astyy with my DMD (thanks for your hospitality astyy). It didn't take long to install my DMD and discover that the fault lies with the Boston Pinball DMD. It showed exactly the same problems on astyy's Hook as it showed on mine. It did help astyy though, because another problem he was having with his Hook didn't occur with my DMD, so his problem seems to be related to having a plasma DMD installed. I suspect the high power section, I don't even have the fuse for that now in my Hook as the LED DMD doesn't need it.

#81 7 months ago
Quoted from TinyToo:

Well I finally got around to visiting astyy with my DMD (thanks for your hospitality astyy). It didn't take long to install my DMD and discover that the fault lies with the Boston Pinball DMD. It showed exactly the same problems on astyy's Hook as it showed on mine. It did help astyy though, because another problem he was having with his Hook didn't occur with my DMD, so his problem seems to be related to having a plasma DMD installed. I suspect the high power section, I don't even have the fuse for that now in my Hook as the LED DMD doesn't need it.

So will Boston Pinball fix it or exchange for a working one, ect, ect.

#82 7 months ago

Jim from Boston Pinball has kindly offered me a free repair of this board if I pay for the shipping. He also told me that the 74HC595 chips can cause randomisation of dots if they fail, though he thinks the problem is more complicated than this and speculated that a power problem could have damaged some chips. Anyway hopefully I can get this board sorted out one way or another with Jim's help. I will try some 74HC595 chips first as these are cheap and if these don't affect the problem ship it to Jim for repair. I am trying to avoid shipping if possible, due to the time it will take and the possibility of loss or damage.

1 month later
#83 5 months ago

Did you get your 74HC595 parts yet?

2 months later
#84 3 months ago

tinytoo how did this play out?

See you at UK Pinfest if you're attending.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.00
Boards
PinSound
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 275.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Johnson City, TN
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside