(Topic ID: 167087)

DMD issue (swap between WMS and Stern??)

By 27dnast

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frogman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

300px-Stern_WS_DMD_PSU (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Alright... tech question...

When I bought my IM Pro the orange DMD had a very small amount of ghosting in a corner. So I've been happily running a new RED LED display... which I had intended to replace with a fully working orange DMD when (and if) I sold the game. Game has sold. Tonight, I went to make the swap and I'm only getting lines on the replacement orange DMD. I checked all the connectors...they are in right orientation.

So, I pulled another known working DMD...installed it... got the same thing.

So, I installed the original orange DMD that came with the game and it works 100%.

I'm really confused. I thought all orange DMDs were interchangeable?

Am I missing something?

#2 7 years ago

Were some low voltage and some high voltage?

#3 7 years ago

Perhaps... is there a way to identify?

Obviously, something must be different between the orange dmd display that shipped with IM Pro... and the DMD displays that work in WMS games.

Although, I was always under the impression that the orange dmd displays were interchangeable?

#4 7 years ago

Im not sure really as stern pins are not my specialty and havent really had to work on any lol. I know stern went to low voltage displays around 2012 /acdc . But original iron man sld be the same high voltage as any other plasma dmd used from 1991 till acdc so not sure what u have going on without being there

#5 7 years ago

I'm at a loss also.

What I do know is that one of the three plasma dmds work...and its the one that came with the game. The other two aren't happy campers.

#6 7 years ago

Im so confused lol .... it sld be standard high-voltage display but if you were using a newer red led display than something had to be modified i believe for it to work?

#7 7 years ago

Do you have this board in your backbox? If not than its low voltage and Regular plasmas wont work.300px-Stern_WS_DMD_PSU (resized).jpg300px-Stern_WS_DMD_PSU (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

Yup, have that board.

The RED LED display works because there is a spare, unused low voltage connector in the backbox that the display draws power from.

The orange plasma display that came with the machine draw power from the board you pictured.

#9 7 years ago

Any chance the ribbon cable is pluged in wrong? Is the red strip at pin 1?

#10 7 years ago

I have no clue if anything im coming up with even makes sense .... i need to sleep lol been long long day . Good luck

#11 7 years ago

Might have some high voltage power issues going on. Either too low or too high. Some displays are affected by over or under voltage differently. Some are not affected at all. If you have another Stern game, try swapping that board.
    -Jeff

#12 7 years ago

I'll recheck everything, including voltages

#13 7 years ago

What ended up being the issue?

#14 7 years ago

The standard 128x32 orange plasma displays are interchangeable between all game manufacturers.

The problem could be that the old display may require a bit more voltage to get it to display properly. Not really much you can do if the HV board is providing voltages within spec. You can try to reseat the two connectors on the HV board just to make sure there is a good connection.

As someone mentioned, the ribbon cable has a red stripe and should be oriented so the stripe is at pin 1 at both ends. Typically you won't get any activity on the display if the ribbon cable is not seated or installed backwards.

#15 7 years ago

Ran out of time and just installed the red DMD for the sale. Game is gone. Looks 10000% times better with red DMD anyway. Pinwiki indicates that voltage changes were made starting with POTC (?). Could have been it?

#16 7 years ago

I had a similar issue. I purchased a colorDMD for my Spider-Man (2007, Stern) and moved the original DMD to a Williams T2, which had a DMD on it's last legs. No problem - worked perfectly. After doing something incredibly stupid, I hosed a chip on the colorDMD. Since there were other issues resulting from my moronic maneuver, I needed a temporary display for troubleshooting the Spider-Man pin and attempted to use the DMD from T2...and discovered that it didn't work...only got one or two lines. I don't recall the voltage measurements, but the manufacturers were different. Pins are all operational now, but the test was surprising since I had been under the impression that DMD's were all interchangeable.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-issue-swap-between-wms-and-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.