Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2602 (resized).jpg
IMG_2601 (resized).jpg
DMD voltages (resized).png
IMG_2600 (resized).jpg
IMG_2592 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Couple of issues - first the display disappeared, you can tell that it has messages, but not displayed. Started as partial, now completely blank. However, game still loaded and was playable.

I changed out the batteries and then the game stopped booting up - no ball in chute, all the start up procedures do not happen and the start button does not turn on. Due to no display I can not see the error messages. I tried another set of batteries - same issue. Looked for corrosion, none.

So first, how can I get it to start up again prior to trouble shooting DMD or will the display cause it to not play?

#2 5 years ago

What happens if you take the batteries out and turn the game on?
It should give you a game audits reset message

Also, am I correct in assuming the batteries started the issues or did the dmd go out first?

#3 5 years ago

do you have another display you can swoop out with?
Sound like original display has gassed out.

#4 5 years ago

Hi Helpers -- the dmd went out first, so when I take the batteries out all I hear is one bong - not able to see error message. I do not have another dmd, if I replaced the current one would that fix all the problems or just the display issue?

Also, on the dmd would I buy new cables? See pictures on the one connection that is not a ribbon but rather individual wires -- are they just pressed into the plastic? How would I remove them without damaging?

IMG_2592 (resized).jpgIMG_2592 (resized).jpgIMG_2600 (resized).jpgIMG_2600 (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago

slide the plug off, don't pull on wires.
Before I would buy a new display, is there anybody or place you can get yours it tested?
Being an apprentice not sure where your located.

#6 5 years ago

Also check your voltage's on this plug, to eliminate that as a possible problem.

#7 5 years ago

Please post a picture of your MPU board (bottom left) so it can be checked for battery leakage/corrosion.

The battery issue is completely separate of the DMD being blank/out/off.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

Also check your voltage's on this plug, to eliminate that as a possible problem.

I agree. It can be a voltage problem. Do you have a multimeter to test with?
Put black meter lead on pin 4 or 5 and use the red meter lead to test the other pins.
1 -112Vdc
2 -100Vdc
6 12Vdc
7 5Vdc
8 62Vdc

DMD voltages (resized).pngDMD voltages (resized).png

#9 5 years ago

Good input --- please hang with me …. I live in Lone Pine, California which is a small town (pop. 2000) and no pinball repair or enthusiasts around - bummer. So I really appreciate your time and ideas.

I tried the voltage and my numbers were different:
1 -119v
2 -107v
6 5v
7 12v
8 62v

So it does look like some kind of voltage issue, but now what do I do to correct?

Here are two pictures on the battery issue - I don't see corrosion.

IMG_2601 (resized).jpgIMG_2601 (resized).jpgIMG_2602 (resized).jpgIMG_2602 (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago

Those voltages are actually fine.

Have you tried simply restating the plugs on the display and the display controller board?

#11 5 years ago

I have re-connected the smaller ribbon band, but am uncertain how to get this larger unit off …. does it slide away from the silver pins?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Love2play:

uncertain how to get this larger unit off …. does it slide away from the silver pins?

Yes, that power connector slides off.

The MPU board looks good. Hard to tell about that battery holder though. I would install NVRAM to get rid of the batteries.

#13 5 years ago

Can you test the DMD in another game? If not yours, a friend's game?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Love2play:

I have re-connected the smaller ribbon band, but am uncertain how to get this larger unit off …. does it slide away from the silver pins?

Yes, just pull on it.

Then follow it up to the other board it connects to (top right of backbox). Reseat all connectors on that board also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

14,000 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-issue-indiana-jones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.