(Topic ID: 11621)

DMD interchangeability between manufacturers?

By boostedskex

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Can I use a DMD out of a Williams machine in a Data East (128 x 32) machine for testing purposes?

Thanks

#2 12 years ago

I just found this today because of a DMD issue I had. Hope it helps.

Are All Dot Matrix Displays the Same?
    The short answer is "yes". But be aware DMDs come in different sizes. Williams
    always used the 128x32 column/row variety (DataEast for example used a 128x16
    and a 192x64 display, in addition to 128x32). And yes a 128x32 dot matrix display
    from a Gottlieb, Sega, DataEast or Stern game will work in any DMD WPC/WPCS/
    WPC-95 game or vice-versa (but note that DataEast/Sega/Stern have an
    additional controller board bolted to the back of their 128x32 DMD, which is not used
    on a Williams WPC game). Also it should be stated that some brands of dot matrix
    displays (like Babcock) require 12 volts to operate, and most others don't. I have
    seen problems where a DMD requiring 12 volts won't operate in a game, but one that
    does not require 12 volts will work.

#3 12 years ago

Yes. NO problem

#4 12 years ago

cool, thanks guys!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-interchangeable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.