Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by kapsreiter
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HV_section_1.jpg
    HV_section_2.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I'm making a piggy back board that replaces the HV section of the WPC dmd driver board. I just had a few prototype boards printed and after some play testing i'll start selling. I'd like to know how much interest there is in this. Right now it looks like the price would be somewhere around $35

http://www.videopenny.com/arcades.html

IMG_0547.jpgIMG_0547.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Yup. I want one!

#3 11 years ago

Good idea. I would get one to try.
    Parker

#4 11 years ago

I'd be interested. wondering if this would make the DMD a bit crisper? When I replaced display boards I've noticed improvements

#5 11 years ago

Nice idea. Pinball Inc used to make a similar board, and they sold lots and lots of them.

Sorry, my eyes were tired with the first reply - I like the components all being through hole with no surf mount - more serviceable by more techs going forward.

I have a few display boards with good logic, but severely burnt HS sections that I haven't rebuilt yet, as I haven't had a bunch of time to do trace reconstruction / jumpering on them.

#6 11 years ago

My board is deliberately laid out and through hole mounted so any repair work (that you hopefully never have to do) would be easy. It's a different circuit than the original, and runs cooler so far. Every dmd driver board i've seen is toasty looking around the HV section. IMG_0530.jpgIMG_0530.jpg

#7 11 years ago

Would this be a financially feasible option compared to having your existing boards repaired?

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Would this be a financially feasible option compared to having your existing boards repaired?

Depends if you have someone else do the repair or you do it yourself. I buy the repair kits from Ed at GPE for $6. So, yeah it's feasible. It does take me about 30-45 minutes to desolder, replace, solder and run a continuity check on everything. It really depends on how crispy the area was and if any traces need to be be repaired.

But to the OP, $35 is very reasonable for these. I think Pinball Inc. sold their piggyback for $59 and the entire replacement DMD driver board for $99 IIRC. So, $35 is a nice price IMO.

#9 11 years ago

Nice board. However, I like this HV section modification (see pics below) that an operator's technician did on a game I got a few years ago. Might be some pretty stiff competition out there if that technician decides to mass produce his solution.

Seriously - I like your board. Nice work!

HV_section_2.jpgHV_section_2.jpg HV_section_1.jpgHV_section_1.jpg

#10 11 years ago

Wow who in the world would spend the time going over the schematics and building something like that that likely doesn't even work as well as the original components? Even the original board doesn't need a fan!

#11 11 years ago

Looks good and very reasonable.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

Nice board. However, I like this HV section modification (see pics below) that an operator's technician did on a game I got a few years ago. Might be some pretty stiff competition out there if that technician decides to mass produce his solution.

Thats awesome, will you be selling these? It even has a FAN!!!!

#13 11 years ago

I still use one of the pinball inc ones - I test my rebuildable boards with the piggyback board to make sure the logic is intact on the board. Troubleshooting the logic section has never worked real well for me. If the logic is bad, I mark it as such, and move on to one that can be rebuilt.

So, something like this is a good tool for any tech regardless of whether or not they can rebuild their own boards.

#14 11 years ago

Very nice...

Sent an email to you.

#15 11 years ago

I think i have an issue with my videopenny email. please contact me through pinside.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Thats awesome, will you be selling these? It even has a FAN!!!!

I put it in my trophy case. It's a one of a kind collectible. Not many were made. Going up in value every day!

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

Holy electron maze Batman!

I am really impressed with the determination of some people to make something work no matter what.....and to use any and all parts close by to make it happen. The only thing missing is the "UL" approved sticker!

#18 11 years ago

@rad.. wow that is rad

bump for a good guy and good product.. well I think.. haha I will reply back after playtesting haha (kidding)

just rebuilt a HV section of a mutilated system 11 myself

#19 11 years ago

I will buy one of your boards if you have any left.

4 months later
    #20 11 years ago

So did this project ever get made? Just curious because it is a great idea especially if you have a board that is to burnt up to repair without causing more damage.

#22 11 years ago

What the... 4 month old thread really??

1 week later
    #23 11 years ago

Thanks for the info.

7 months later
    #24 10 years ago

hallo where can i get it

@pinballlife

not longer listed

#27 10 years ago

but out of stock and no price at the website

a complete board is about $70 at pinled.de

so the board must be about $30 ?!?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-hv-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.