Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mattmarr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

T2 reseat ribbon cable (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I installed a ColorDMD (LED) into my T2 and while the actual LED screen works I may have generated some sort of issue during the install such that the video output from the pin isn't working properly.

I know the LED works since I can view the ColorDMD menu. During the install I may have had the 16 pin connector reversed or have done "something" else incorrectly that made the game reboot a couple of times. To troubleshoot, I disconnected the ColorDMD and then reconnected the original DMD. At first, the original DMD displayed the graphics, albeit distorted, but after a machine reboot, no graphics at all.

Next, I tested the 16 pin ribbon cable, but it was fine. I don't see any blown fuses, either. Any suggestions out there?

#2 1 year ago

With any garbled DMD issues always recheck ALL of those ribbon cables multiple times. But the rebooting is not a usual issue.

When you say "may have" reversed the cable I wish people would just say what they did. But this should not cause a machine reboot. Check to see if you knocked a connector loose on the power driver board.

Also, do you have a bunch of other mods installed? Under cabinet LEDs or anything where you has to tap into the 5v/12v lines?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Taxman:

With any garbled DMD issues always recheck ALL of those ribbon cables multiple times. But the rebooting is not a usual issue.
When you say "may have" reversed the cable I wish people would just say what they did. But this should not cause a machine reboot. Check to see if you knocked a connector loose on the power driver board.
Also, do you have a bunch of other mods installed? Under cabinet LEDs or anything where you has to tap into the 5v/12v lines?

Thanks for the suggestions. No dice yet. I used the word "may" because I am not sure if I reversed the cable at some point, but I am not sure. Typically more information, rather than less, is helpful in troubleshooting problems.

#4 1 year ago

Reversing the ribbon won't cause a problem. The display won't work, but it won't damage anything.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogman:

I know the LED works since I can view the ColorDMD menu. During the install I may have had the 16 pin connector reversed or have done "something" else incorrectly that made the game reboot a couple of times.

Did you swap one end of the cable to see what happens?

Also, did you download the Chroma file for the display?
Make sure you only have the Chroma file on the USB stick, not a colordmd.ROM file.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogman:

At first, the original DMD displayed the graphics, albeit distorted, but after a machine reboot, no graphics at all.

Since it even has a problem with the original DMD, try reseating this ribbon cable.

T2 reseat ribbon cable (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago

Are any pins loose that the connectors plug into? Sure sounds like a cable issue. I have had a few of those. On my Congo, the old mpu died and replaced it with a Rottendog. Video was fine before but was messed up with new mpu. A new cable helped but still messed up. Tried another cable and it is much better. Getting new cables isn't expensive and nice to have spares if old ones still good. I also suggest actually testing all fuses. They can still look good when blown.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Are any pins loose that the connectors plug into? Sure sounds like a cable issue. I have had a few of those. On my Congo, the old mpu died and replaced it with a Rottendog. Video was fine before but was messed up with new mpu. A new cable helped but still messed up. Tried another cable and it is much better. Getting new cables isn't expensive and nice to have spares if old ones still good. I also suggest actually testing all fuses. They can still look good when blown.

Argh. Reseated all of the connections without any change.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Since it even has a problem with the original DMD, try reseating this ribbon cable.

Thanks for the picture. Unfortunately it didn't help. Yes, I tried swapping one cable end and a new cable. The file is correct/only one on the drive. I have our local pro/pinball repair wizard coming on Thursday to fix this and an EM, for which I'm even more useless. I'll take any other suggestions, though.

#10 1 year ago

Would you mind snapping pictures of the boards and the back of the display with the game on?
Can you confirm the file on your USB stick is 'chroma.rom' ?

1 week later
#11 1 year ago

The board was fried. The venerable Allan Davidson performed testing and swapped out the board for me.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogman:

The board was fried. The venerable Allan Davidson performed testing and swapped out the board for me.

Allan is the man. Any idea what was fried on it?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 28.00
€ 222.00
Cabinet - Decals
Buthamburg
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, WI
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.50
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame
Boards
PinSound
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Sale Pending!
Griswold, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 19.99
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Pitts, PA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside