Shine_Supressors_002.jpg
Shine_Supressors_001.jpg
Turbo_Glare_3.png
Turbo_Glare_2.png
Turbo_Glare_1.png
Shine_Guard.jpg
2013-01-30_10.11.04.jpg
2013-01-30_10.11.32.jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

By making them 12" deep.
I have backbox kits in two games and they eliminate it completely.
S-M has to go on the Tlite but with ELVIS it works under the trim molding for the glass.
Here are a couple pics of S-M, I made a 12" for the tlite and a 6" for the DMD.
Zero glare on the PF glass from the playing position.

Very interesting, thanks Eric!

How much of your view of the T lite is blocked with that on there? Doesn't look like too much?

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Why is this comment necessary? Neo was simply continuing a conversation.
Until this thread, I did not know that PDI glass was having issues with DMD Glare.
I am very thankful that Neo spoke up. He spent his money on the product.
If he were not "a broken record", I would not have known that PDI Glass had this issue.
Sometimes "the broken record" will serve its purpose.
Marcus

I find an opinion to be more believable when done with tact.

Just sayin...

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Very interesting, thanks Eric!
How much of your view of the T lite is blocked with that on there? Doesn't look like too much?

I can see all of it except maybe 1/8", someone 5' tall loses about an inch off the bottom.
On ELVIS since the chasing marquee is lower it fit in the PF glass channel so I only need the larger one at the bottom and it doesn't block it at all no matter how tall or short you are but for a kid it blocks about an inch of the DMD.
They do look funky from a side view but from the player's position you don't notice them and they block 100% of the glare.
Here is a vid of the Elvis prototype from ArcadeUpkeep, looks great but the glare had to be addressed since the glare took out half the PF.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If this was the only time Neo ever brought it up, I wouldn't have said a word. The problem is that his hatred of the stuff is so vehement that he trashes the product every chance he gets. I, as well as many others, happen to think PDI/Invisiglass is worth every penny. Like I said before, I respect Neo's opinion, but when he makes comments such as "Some people just have money to burn ...", I can't help but be insulted.

I figured it evens it out, for the ones that praise the hell out of it, thinking it's worth it's weight in gold. So every chance they get to say how perfect it is. I have to chime in showing the other side of the fence. Then people can base their opinion off that.

And for Bryan. You've seen me for many years. You know how I am. I try to throw it up as upfront as I can. No beating around the bush here.

And to even it out, I can't be soft about it. When you have this side expressing themselves like this.
" stuff is so awesome, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, I want to have it's children".

And if I could come back with.
"it doesn't live up it's expectations".

Seems a little one sided. Doesn't it. People arn't really going to feel the negative effects.

But if retort with
"this stuff is fucking shit. I wouldn't take it someone gave it to me for free". Now you can see how the pro's and cons are fairly even. that's why I use the "tact" I do sometimes.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

But follow Tracelifters instructions if you like and see for yourself.

I can see with how big they have to be it could be a bit intrusive. Thanks for looking into it for us. Thanks to Tracelifter for posting the directions and pictures!

Quoted from RobT:

How would they do that?

Sorry little late to the party. Tracelifter did describe how to make them on a different thread I believe. I may give it a shot and just install when I play.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-invisiglass-has-a-scratch-in-it#post-388474

Quoted from PinRob:

Is this the only one currently selling the DMD film - I like this one as it does not reduce the DMD brightness like the polarized films.
http://www.pinballpal.com/dmd/

Please keep in mind that pinball pal is not currently taking orders and has not been for a while.

#56 11 years ago

I order stuff from them all the time and completely missed that material.
4 sheets on order to make some guards for my machines that I have been putting off.

What angle did you end up using for your guards?

Thanks again for posting the link.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I am pissed. That's why i'm so vocal about it. Because so many others are so vocal on how flawless and awesome it is. When I got it home. I was pissed. It's shit. Even when I bought 2 sheets for $300. I never pissed away so much money on something so underwelming in pinball before. Don't believe the hype from others on here. Some people just have money to burn. Use that $300 and go buy a nice EM machine. Least that will probably do what it's suppose to.

Personally I would never spend that kind of coin on a sheet of glass but when you do there is a certain level of performance expected, when that does not happen you have to feel ripped off. For those that love the glass and happy with the purchase what another person says should not matter if you are truly pleased. A good point was made that the PDI glass was originally marketed to eliminate the glare. Since that did not seemingly happen the selling point changed to optical quality or "invisible". That is a different direction entirely and for the cost should do both IMHO.

The "money to burn" comment is pretty mundane. I am sure a lot of people would think its crazy to drop that kind of money on a sheet of glass ( I do) but my friends make fun of me because every time a shop a new game I use a new piece of PF glass and its only $25.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

What angle did you end up using for your guards?

Use a square or straight edge and a razor knife to score length and width and snap it to size.
Angle is 40 degrees.
I used 2x6 stock to make the mold to bend it on and a propane torch to heat the plastic.
The sheets are not a full 12x24 they are 11 7/8 x 23 7/8.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Use a square or straight edge and a razor knife to score length and width and snap it to size.
Angle is 40 degrees.
I used 2x6 stock to make the mold to bend it on and a propane torch to heat the plastic.

Also be certain that you make the bend so the textured side of the ABS is facing down towards the playfield. Otherwise you will be creating another form of glare.

For those wanting convenience, you can buy DMD Glare Guards from Pinball Life
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1099

They are also available at:
Bay Area Amusements.com

Flipper Fidelity.com

Pinball Decals.com

Top Score Game Rooms.com

and Rob Anthony carries them in his booth at all of the shows and his web site:
Lock When Lit.com

Kim

#60 11 years ago

Thx guys!

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Angle is 40 degrees.

How much "lip" did you allow for sliding under the head?

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

How much "lip" did you allow for sliding under the head?

One inch.

Almost forgot. Also available at my website: www.WrongCrowdProductions.com

Kim

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Who currently sells the film that goes on the DMD?

Wondering same. Looks like pinballlife dropped it?

#64 11 years ago

I just stick mine in the plastic track for the back of the glass. Easier.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

PinRob said:
Who currently sells the film that goes on the DMD?

Quoted from Erik:

Wondering same. Looks like pinballlife dropped it?

Pinbits carries it:

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=390

#66 11 years ago

Yep but that's the polarized stuff and currently they are sold out.

#67 11 years ago

I have a bunch of this stuff left from when I made my own if anyone wants some. I agree with pinbits, this stuff is almost like magic. It is amazingly effective and is virtually undetectable (beyond the fact that the DMD reflections disappear). I cut mine larger than the ones from pinbits because I wanted to be able to just slide them behind the dmd without even having to take the display out. I can pop mine into a machine in 10 seconds and then take it back out if I want to switch to another machine. Here are some pics of what my STTNG looks like with them out and then installed.

2-DSC00169.jpg2-DSC00169.jpg

4-DSC00171.jpg4-DSC00171.jpg

5-DSC00173.jpg5-DSC00173.jpg

#68 11 years ago

That stuff works great and it also takes the white look out of the PinLed alphanumeric displays and makes them look more like the originals.
Drawback is that it darkens the DMD and you still have the BB glare to deal with.

#69 11 years ago

BB glare?

Is that back box glare?

Marcus

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

BB glare?
Is that back box glare?
Marcus

Yes.

#71 11 years ago

Thanks for posting, jrobinso99. That was very helpful

#72 11 years ago

I will skip reading most of these posts and get right to the point. Kim (Mr 68) of Wrong Crowd productions has made an easy to use, affordable and effective product. I have no idea how many I have bought at this point over the years but for me they are perfect. I have a light controlled room where the biggest issue is the DMD. The main room has 11 pins in a row and you would never know they are installed from looking at them but they do the job.

2 weeks later
#73 11 years ago

I just got another batch of the DMD glare film I used in the STTNG pictures. I wound up sending all mine out to pinsiders so I had none left for my own pins I have about 15 left and they are $20 each shipped. PM me if interested.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-glare-fix/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.