Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jrobinso99
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4-DSC00171.jpg
    2-DSC00169.jpg
    DSC00205.JPG
    DSC00206.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I just got my 3M privacy filter and installed it on my JD. This stuff has micro louver privacy technology so only persons directly in front of the monitor can see the image on screen thus I know no longer have ANY DMD glare. So much better now that I can see the rear of the playfield. This is the stuff that was sold by http://www.pinballpal.com/dmd/ but due to his health he no longer has been tending to his site. This is not the cheaper polarized film. I had to buy a 27" x 15" sheet that is used for large computer screens because unlike a computer privacy that is side to side the pinball glare orientation is up and down. Unfortunately it came with a high price tag. I removed the DMD (really easy) took length and width measurements to go inside the cutout area in the wood in front of the DMD and cut to size. I cut it a bit taller as I new I'd be tilting it back in the backbox speaker panel's DMD window. Since I'm tall I tilted it back a little in the cutout area since there is about a half inch of space between the DMD and the outside clear plastic window, now it is angled back a little and is clearer as I'm looking more directly at it. It does dim the DMD slightly compared to not having a filter on. But I actually like it a tad dimmer now. All in all it really is nice and DMD GLARE FREE now.

#2 11 years ago

Pics

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 11 years ago

I think that's better than the plastic glare blockers.

#5 11 years ago

I wonder if you could install a big sheet of this stuff between the translite and the backglass.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I wonder if you could install a big sheet of this stuff between the translite and the backglass.

That's a great question. Anyone try?

#7 11 years ago

That would be VERY expensive, this piece I got cost 130.00 and the only way you could get one big enough to do the translite would be to buy a sheet from 3m and though its big (enough to do a few) its over 1000 bucks. On second thought I'm not even sure they sell one that wide and tall. All I really do know is the translite would be very expensive to do. I don't even really see a need for doing it honestly (it would darken translite too much in my opinion) and that's not a good thing.

Go here if you want one for the DMD http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-glare-filters

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I had to buy a 27" x 15" sheet that is used for large computer screens because unlike a computer privacy that is side to side the pinball glare orientation is up and down. Unfortunately it came with a high price tag.

I thought about doing this and buying a sheet large enough to cut 6 DMD glare guards once Mark became ill. It would come out to about $20 ea. I have his film on all my machines and I love it. The color DMDs don't need it though. I used 1/2" sticky dots from Michaels craft store. They seem to work the best out the different types I have tried.

Did you use a paper cutter to make exact straight cuts? That material is on the thick side.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

I thought about doing this and buying a sheet large enough to cut 6 DMD glare guards once Mark became ill. It would come out to about $20 ea. I have his film on all my machines and I love it. The color DMDs don't need it though. I used 1/2" sticky dots from Michaels craft store. They seem to work the best out the different types I have tried.
    Did you use a paper cutter to make exact straight cuts? That material is on the thick side.

It is on the thick side but a good pair of scissors is all you need. And I followed the pen line I marked on the piece with a straight edge and yep it's straight - even if it wasn't perfect you can't see the cut really once it's behind the speaker box's clear DMD area.

#10 11 years ago

Wow, that's really cool! The one question I have is whether kids still see the DMD from their viewing angle? I know when kids play my games, their head tends to be not too much higher than the glass. Would the filter block out someone looking from that angle?

--Luke

#11 11 years ago

I bought a game with one installed and at first it just appeared that the display was slightly dimmer than normal. Then I saw the film of the panel.

It does work pretty well though.

Todd

#12 11 years ago

The other film on the mkt that is not 3M darkens the DMD in an even more noticeable way.

#13 11 years ago

it's funny that I posted this exact same thing a few months ago (seeing if people were interested in going in on a bulk buy since as stated, 3M only sets the film in "kits" of ten 17"x17" sheets), but no one ever replied (see below)

the film works great and does exactly what we need it to do (block out reflection on the playfield glass from the dmd)

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-anti-glare-film-3m-vikuiti-micro-louvered-advanced-light-control

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from rancegt:

I think that's better than the plastic glare blockers.

I use these on all my games and you don't really notice them after a while. The nice thing is if you sell the game you can keep it for your next game where as stick on glare film you can not. Also if you have lots of games you could get away with 1-2 glare guards and move it from game to game as well too.

#15 11 years ago

Wow, that's really cool! The one question I have is whether kids still see the DMD from their viewing angle? I know when kids play my games, their head tends to be not too much higher than the glass. Would the filter block out someone looking from that angle?
    --Luke

I just checked if you we're looking at it at the glass height - still can see the DMD fine - I don't even think I had to tilt it back a little like I did because of my tall height.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I just checked if you we're looking at it at the glass height - still can see the DMD fine - I don't even think I had to tilt it back a little like I did because of my tall height.

That's great!. It looks really good in the pictures...almost like magic.

--Luke

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I tried this. 3M does not make a sheet large enough to cover a translight. Or at least they didn't when I was investigating it. I tried to seem two sheet together and it was problematic.

The real deal breaker here is the cost. For two full sheets to assemble you're getting close to the price of PDI or Invisaglass.

Kim

#18 11 years ago

For those who are interested, TheKorn did a great comparison between this stuff and the polarized stuff. Perhaps someone could provide a link to it.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

For those who are interested, TheKorn did a great comparison between this stuff and the polarized stuff. Perhaps someone could provide a link to it.

http://www.thekorn.net/glare_guards/

Kim

#20 11 years ago

These guys in Germany sell the sheets large enough for a translite.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/antiglare/index.html

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

These guys in Germany sell the sheets large enough for a translite.
    http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/antiglare/index.html

Different material and purpose. Unless I misread that article the product is intended to reduce the reflective glare *to* the transight and DMD themselves. I didn't read anything about eliminating the glare from the playfield glass.

I have to admit the article is a bit confusing and at first I thought the same thing. Or did I miss something?

Kim

#23 11 years ago

the 3M filter material has can be viewing angle of 10-12° above or below from straight on where you can see the display just fine

once the angle becomes wider than that, the microlouvers block the light

#24 11 years ago

Having a look at this makes me wonder if using the 3M product for the DMD, and the polarizer for the backglass might work well. Polarized window film should be much cheaper than the prices being talked about for the 3M louver product.

Using a polarizer on the backglass should reduce reflections to the machine across from it, which was the goal of the anti-reflective film in the Pinball News link. Although in this case you would be treating the source of the reflection rather than the reflective surface.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from rancegt:

Having a look at this makes me wonder if using the 3M product for the DMD, and the polarizer for the backglass might work well. Polarized window film should be much cheaper than the prices being talked about for the 3M louver product.
    Using a polarizer on the backglass should reduce reflections to the machine across from it, which was the goal of the anti-reflective film in the Pinball News link. Although in this case you would be treating the source of the reflection rather than the reflective surface.

I'm pretty sure that Polarized film WILL darken to backglass to much

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I think that depends on the machine. A lot of games with fluorescent bulbs are way too bright and the reflection becomes a distraction on the playfield. For other games, once you put in LEDs they can be overly bright too.

#27 11 years ago

Agreed.

I've been doing a bunch of research and testing on DMD and translite films over the past several months and there is definitely a lot of confusion on the topic (and this thread). My first batch of film was great and blocked 90%+ of the reflection while still passing a lot of the light. I tried to get more of it from another source and the quality was terrible and it didn't work well. My latest sheet from my original source is good, but not quite as good as my first batch. I would say it blocks 75%+ of the reflection. Below are some pics of the latest batch with it installed vs. not on STTNG. My pics from the first batch are in the old thread on this topic.

All my testing so far on the translites has been disappointing. Light does not come out of a translite the way it does a DMD. I'm fairly confident the 3M product would work but we would be looking at at $300+ / machine and that is at a distributor/wholesale rate. I know people spend ~$300 a game on PDI glass but I'm not sure how many people want to spend that much money to prevent translite reflections.

FYI - I wouldn't waste your time with the polarizing window film. That stuff reduces reflection at the same rate it reduces the light you see from the DMD.

DSC00206.JPGDSC00206.JPG DSC00205.JPGDSC00205.JPG

#28 11 years ago

Yep polarized isn't the answer

#29 11 years ago

If the window film worked that would be awesome because we could make these for $2 each. Check out these pics from my first batch - you really can't even see a reflection. At a price point of ~$20 each - I think these are great vs. spending $40 on the 3M stuff.

2-DSC00169.jpg2-DSC00169.jpg

4-DSC00171.jpg4-DSC00171.jpg

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I meant for the backglass area. But the DMD area also gets the best results with the 3M blinds like I have.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

I wouldn't waste your time with the polarizing window film. That stuff reduces reflection at the same rate it reduces the light you see from the DMD.

Total speculation on my part but I would reason all of these results lead to Pinball Life discontinuing to carrying them.

Kim

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

I know some people think that but I believe it is because they have only seen the crappy stuff. Check out these pics from my first batch - you really can't even see a reflection. At a price point of ~$20 each - I think these are great vs. spending $40 on the 3M stuff.

What size is the dot area on a DMD anyway. My biggest and only issue with the Pinball Pal filters is that they were cut so small. I mean they had to be lined up just right. There was no extra on any side of any of the dots. After it was mounted it was good to go, but having 1/8" extra for top and sides would have been really nice.

I can understand if the size of the sheet required that tight of cutting or you would lose one out of a sheet, but it seems unlikely that the sheets are EXACTLY the width of the DMD dots.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

What size is the dot area on a DMD anyway. My biggest and only issue with the Pinball Pal filters is that they were cut so small. I mean they had to be lined up just right. There was no extra on any side of any of the dots. After it was mounted it was good to go, but having 1/8" extra for top and sides would have been really nice.
    I can understand if the size of the sheet required that tight of cutting or you would lose one out of a sheet, but it seems unlikely that the sheets are EXACTLY the width of the DMD dots.

Yep 1/8 extra is tight. The ones I was selling in the Market here I was originally going to cut them at 4" x 15". But after some research of different machines I thought it was better to cut them at 5" so depending on your machine you could cut it accordingly to it and not be short.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Yep 1/8 extra is tight. The ones I was selling in the Market here I was originally going to cut them at 4" x 15". But after some research of different machines I thought it was better to cut them at 5" so depending on your machine you could cut it accordingly to it and not be short.

5 is good. I had cut mine at 4.5" which was enough to grab on to when lifting the filter back out, but didn't sacrifice too much material. I agree that 4 is too tight.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-glare-filter-wow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.