(Topic ID: 36563)

DMD games without Video Modes

By davewtf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Does anyone have a list? I don't have a ton of time on quite a few of the top 100/200, so i don't really know which ones have them or not. I hate video modes with few exceptions and have noticed alot of the games without them tend to be higher on my list. Maybe it's a coincidence.

#2 11 years ago

Yep. Video modes suck. They interrupt the good flow of the game to present a two button video game on a very small two color display.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Yep. Video modes suck. They interrupt the good flow of the game to present a two button video game on a very small two color display.

Whaaaat? The video mode on fishtales is sweeet! I love video modes. It adds a nice small little element to the games far different from flinging the ball around. Although, they can be WAY lame at times and pointless, especially compared to the video pin of yours I played.

#4 11 years ago

Can't you turn off video modes on some games in the menu options?

#5 11 years ago

The more you discuss what you like in a game, the more it sounds like you would gravitate towards a lot of the newer Sterns (SAM System era)... I actually can't think of any SAM games with a video mode...

#6 11 years ago

From my collection:

Rocky and Bullwinkle
    Judge Dredd (Or, I haven't seen it yet)
    Stargate

My No Fear has a video mode, and it's horrible. Luckily, it doesn't come up too much.

#7 11 years ago

Last Action Hero has no video mode

#8 11 years ago

lotr has no video mode that i have seen.

#9 11 years ago

hmm

Whitewater does not have one though lots of Bally/Williams games do

MM has one that is hard as hell to get to

GNR does not have one

Newer Sterns tend not to have any

TZ does not have one

#10 11 years ago

TAF, JD and WH20 from my stable, TFTC has one and really it's kind of a waste of time.

#11 11 years ago

Wh20 and TSPP, from my collection.

How do you feel about the BSD video mode after owning the game for so long? I really liked it (probably my favorite vid mode to date), but haven't played it enough to know if it gets repetitive.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Wh20 and TSPP, from my collection.
    How do you feel about the BSD video mode after owning the game for so long? I really liked it (probably my favorite vid mode to date), but haven't played it enough to know if it gets repetitive.

I don't mind video modes in pinball, but don't really care for the video mode in BSD.... It's only saving grace to me is waiting as long as possible to maximize your points....

I think my favorites are the mine cart in IJ and the video mode in FT....

#13 11 years ago

No video mode in NBAFB, unless you count the trivia quiz.

Definitely not one in Dredd or WCS either.

Later,
    EV

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Definitely not one in Dredd

Well, sort of. You have the Pursuit mode (I think that's what it's called), which uses the DMD to show you which ramp to shoot for. A really cool use of the DMD, and sort of a hybrid video mode.

By the way, TOM has the worst video mode I've played.

#15 11 years ago

RFM has a couple of video neat-o modes here and there.....

#16 11 years ago

G N' R has a video mode. It's just like the one on Harley-Davidson where you use the motorcycle to dodge traffic.

#17 11 years ago

Black rose has a ton of video modes and they rock knife throwing swinging from ship to ship and swimming away from a shark tons of fun and they fit the theme of the games and don't take along time to complete

#18 11 years ago

Indy 500 has a fantastic video mode.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Well, sort of. You have the Pursuit mode (I think that's what it's called), which uses the DMD to show you which ramp to shoot for. A really cool use of the DMD, and sort of a hybrid video mode.
    By the way, TOM has the worst video mode I've played.

Yeah, Pursuit is way cool, but I really consider a video mode to be something where the ball is frozen and you have to play a pure video game on the DMD.

+1000 on the opinion the ToM is the worst video mode ever! Why the hell would I want to stop playing a REAL pinball so that I can play lame-@$$ "digital pinball"?!?

Later,
    EV

#20 11 years ago

Easier to list the games that do have a video mode as there are much less..
    can't you search ipdb for it ?

#21 11 years ago

HS2 only has one and it's not that bad. Steer a car and avoid crashing into traffic....you also need it shift gears.

It also kicks on the spinning light on top which is always fun.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

Easier to list the games that do have a video mode as there are much less..

Is that a fact? Even when i am talking DMD only?

Quoted from aeneas:

can't you search ipdb for it ?

i did. i put "video mode" in features and it yielded 10 machines, which is not correct.

#23 11 years ago

Pretty sure Demolition Man does not have a video mode. Could be wrong though.

I wish Johnny Mnemonic didn't have one! That has to be the most god-awful video mode ever created.

#24 11 years ago

I'm a huge fan of video modes on pins. It adds some diversity to the game and if implemented well to give real bonuses (like on Doctor Who) it can be an intense aspect of the game. I wish they would have made a video mode on Tron . . . would have been AWESOME!

#25 11 years ago

My JPTLW has a video mode... But DAMN I wish it didn't....god awful and it's such an afterthought like they just threw it in there....sad sad sad wannabe video mode....I tell ya.

#26 11 years ago

Waterworld did not, nor did Gladiators

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

My JPTLW has a video mode... But DAMN I wish it didn't....god awful and it's such an afterthought like they just threw it in there....sad sad sad wannabe video mode....I tell ya.

YEs I own that game and it sucks ass.

#28 11 years ago

NGG doesn't.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

YEs I own that game and it sucks ass.

Haha...it certainly does!

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from jk2171:

I wish Johnny Mnemonic didn't have one! That has to be the most god-awful video mode ever created.

Johnny's is easily avoidable, however. Just don't pick the matrix lock that will start it. If you always go for the one with the Extra Ball (as I do) first, you'll always have one option to maintain your tic-tac-toe row without hitting the Video Mode.

Later,
    EV

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Johnny's is easily avoidable, however. Just don't pick the matrix lock that will start it. If you always go for the one with the Extra Ball (as I do) first, you'll always have one option to maintain your tic-tac-toe row without hitting the Video Mode.
    Later,
    EV

Good point, EV. Extra Ball first is usually my strategy to avoid it as well. Sometimes I get distracted, or just don't concentrate and end up picking video mode in the matrix by accident.

#32 11 years ago

My recently acquired South Park with the latest public release roms has no video mode that I've found.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

+1000 on the opinion the ToM is the worst video mode ever! Why the hell would I want to stop playing a REAL pinball so that I can play lame-@$$ "digital pinball"?!?
    Later,
    EV

Agreed 1000%

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from jk2171:

Good point, EV. Extra Ball first is usually my strategy to avoid it as well. Sometimes I get distracted, or just don't concentrate and end up picking video mode in the matrix by accident.

Yeah, I wind up like that as well. Only time I'll deliberately take on Video mode is if my "avoidance" tic-tac-toe row will make the multiball jackpots all three of the rollover lanes. I usually like to have a ramp or two in that mix, so I'll deal with video mode to get it.

Later,
    EV

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from jk2171:

If you get to round 2 in the JM video mode, the EB is one of the floating ghost thingys. I always go for the EB Award, followed by the video mode, then whatever for TTT. Easily a 5 ball game if you're quick.

Having said that, the video mode in JM is pretty lame.

#36 11 years ago

Not in SM or DH.

STTNG I think only has one (poker) but not part of "normal game play"

I avoid them - if I want to play a video game, I'll step up to a video game cabinet.

#37 11 years ago

The Shuttle Simulation Video Mode in STTNG is weak and I haven't tried the hidden poker or breakout "secret" video modes.

No video mode in TOTAN or LOTR.

The "Amazing Roonie" sideshow video mode in CV is terrible and gets my vote for worst video mode.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

STTNG I think only has one (poker) but not part of "normal game play"

You're forgetting the Holodeck Shuttle Simulation.
    EDIT:L,L,R,R,L,R,L

#39 11 years ago

ij4

#40 11 years ago

Hurricane has a dmd and no video modes

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from flipper_fever76:

TAF, JD and WH20 from my stable, TFTC has one and really it's kind of a waste of time.

Except when you punch a thug's head off.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

EDIT:L,L,R,R,L,R,L

Hey....thanks for the tip

#43 11 years ago

I remember Pat Lawlor once said he never wanted video modes in his games. I believe it was on Topcast.
    I don't think any of his games have one. It was rumored that FG was going to have, but that never happened.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

you are correct....I guess since its easy to bypass (and seems to always pop up in the middle of some other mode) and I always go the 25M route, its easily forgotten. Might actually have to try it now that I know the sequence....nah

Though I do try to get the 3 trigger press for holodeck 3 ready...lotsa points there if you can catch it.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

I always go the 25M route. Might actually have to try it now that I know the sequence....nah

EB & Dilithium Crystals & prob 100 million points in there if I remember correctly...nothing to sneeze at.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

GNR does not have one

Gnr has a most annoying one. If you start feature on gilby you get it. It's a pattern. And if you plunge the ball and start this that way you lose your ball saver. It's mandatory to play it to get to riot

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Gnr has a most annoying one. If you start feature on gilby you get it. It's a pattern. And if you plunge the ball and start this that way you lose your ball saver. It's mandatory to play it to get to riot

And I think it is the same as the harley pins video mode. You ride a harley and avoid crap on the street? Pretty sure at least. Either not a fan of GNR as a whole

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from mezzblue:

It was rumored that FG was going to have, but that never happened.

Well, it did happen...sort of. The "Chicken Fight" video mode was in there, but they removed it in later code revisions. Supposedly there's some machines floating around out there that still have it, but apparently it's not very good (like most video modes!).

3 years later
    #49 7 years ago

My Party Zone has no video mode. Surprised to see so many other DMD pins without one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-games-without-video-modes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.