(Topic ID: 285085)

DMD games that are not mode focused

By lpeters82

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So I'm finding the games that last the longest in my collection are those that do not have a heavy focus on "traditional modes". Some of my favorite games are Attack From Mars, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Congo, Fish Tales, and Metallica. With a game like Attack From Mars the saucers are kind of like modes, but they are so repetitive that they don't feel like modes. I'm okay with repetition as long as it's still fun. What other games should I seek out to pay more?

#2 3 years ago

Getaway

#3 3 years ago

Thanks, I almost start a list of game's I was considering and the two at the top of that list were going to be Getaway and World Cup Soccer. I also liked owning White Water where the main focus was shooting the river features to progress down the river. I wish the rules of Indy 500 were a bit focused on completing laps and advancing position. That would have been right up my ally.

#4 3 years ago

No Fear

#5 3 years ago

Aren't the Minor Challenge modes a pretty big focus of the game?

#6 3 years ago

Doctor Who.

It's the only other DMD game I have in my collection that has lasted. Bram Stoker's Dracula is the other. I like these types of games as well.

#7 3 years ago

Pretty much every game made before Addams Family? Most SEGAs too

#8 3 years ago

AC/DC doesn't really have traditional modes, its all about points and building jackpots.

#9 3 years ago

Most 90s DE titles like Lethal Weapon 3, rocky &bullwinkle...

They have various scoring goals that can be triggered, but its not done in a fixed sequence.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

So I'm finding the games that last the longest in my collection are those that do not have a heavy focus on "traditional modes". Some of my favorite games are Attack From Mars, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Congo, Fish Tales, and Metallica. With a game like Attack From Mars the saucers are kind of like modes, but they are so repetitive that they don't feel like modes. I'm okay with repetition as long as it's still fun. What other games should I seek out to pay more?

T2 has no modes and is lots of fun!

#11 3 years ago

Godzilla is a blast.

#13 3 years ago

You mentioned white water, that’s what came first to my mind. My favorite pin.

Someone mentioned DE/Sega, and Maverick is one of them. You play poker throughout the game so you’re going for different drop target banks, and it’s pretty fun even though it’s simple.

#14 3 years ago
    #15 3 years ago
    Quoted from JimFNB:

You mentioned white water, that’s what came first to my mind. My favorite pin.
    Someone mentioned DE/Sega, and Maverick is one of them. You play poker throughout the game so you’re going for different drop target banks, and it’s pretty fun even though it’s simple.

Maverick has modes and its super tough!

#16 3 years ago

Would CV be a consideration?

#17 3 years ago

I know you said DMD games but I am finding SS and EM games are more fun than I had thought say 5 years ago. I spend a lot of time on EBD and recently on an EM I got up and running.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

What other games should I seek out to pay more?

I'm going to answer a completely different question. And I realize this isn't what you are looking for, but classic games. Solid State and EM games actually fit everything you are asking except having a DMD. I realize I'm in the minority with the fact that I love both classic and modern games. But I was looking over the classics in my collection and thought that they all fit the bill. Classics are all about play and steps to get to a high score. No real modes, just "do the thing". They provide the type of play you are asking for.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

I know you said DMD games but I am finding SS and EM games are more fun than I had thought say 5 years ago. I spend a lot of time on EBD and recently on an EM I got up and running.

Quoted from DaveH:

I'm going to answer a completely different question. And I realize this isn't what you are looking for, but classic games. Solid State and EM games actually fit everything you are asking except having a DMD. I realize I'm in the minority with the fact that I love both classic and modern games. But I was looking over the classics in my collection and thought that they all fit the bill. Classics are all about play and steps to get to a high score. No real modes, just "do the thing". They provide the type of play you are asking for.

Yeah, I appreciate the reply. My thought with limiting it to DMDs is that almost all EM and early SS would fit the criteria. I'm looking for those games that were made during a time when complex modes were possible, but choose to provide a more straight forward experience.

PS: It's a bit like asking for a good 2d platformer from the last 20 years. Sure there are a lot of great games from the NES and SNES, but there are fewer games of that style on modern systems.

#20 3 years ago

Yeah, I think that's a great example.

Quoted from Coyote:

Would CV be a consideration?

I'm honestly not sure. I played a CV several years ago at Expo when it was still at the Sheridan. That's the only time I've had a chance to play one.

#21 3 years ago

Breakshot. Maybe all the Capcom games? (Pinball Magic, Airborne?)

#22 3 years ago

Alot mentioned already...Dr. Who, WCS, Getaway.

You might want to give NBA Fastbreak a look. It does have "traditional" modes started by hitting the pops, but they are generally short and I think there are only 3 or 4. You need to play through all the main playfield features to get to the end of the game which is a fairly unique ruleset for the 90s DMDs compared to the ones that you just need to focus on the modes to get to the wizard mode. You need to hit all the combos, get all the multiballs, etc.

#23 3 years ago

Data East Hook.

Now go buy one.

#25 3 years ago

Congo is a great one.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Breakshot. Maybe all the Capcom games? (Pinball Magic, Airborne?)

Pinball Magic is not mode based, airborne has a few modes, but capcom wants you to make shots in a certain order. Its a linear style of play. Street Fighter 2 and operation thunder are also like this.

#27 3 years ago

Games that have the same feel:

World Cup Soccer
    Fish Tales
    Gettaway
    White Water
    Medieval Madness (AFM 2.0)

Not DMDs:
    Whirlwind//DE Jurassic Park (DE DMD knockoff... has modes but may fit bill).
    Total Nuclear Anhilation
    High Speed
    Black Knight

#28 3 years ago

T-2, back when we didn't need modes to drop quarters and play good fun pinball.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

T-2, back when we didn't need modes to drop quarters and play good fun pinball.

We have different ideas of fun. T2 is a great theme, nice layout, snoozefest rules. Reminds me of early DE dmd games.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

We have different ideas of fun. T2 is a great theme, nice layout, snoozefest rules. Reminds me of early DE dmd games.

I am guessing you were at one time a video gamer that ended up in pinball by default.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I am guessing you were at one time a video gamer that ended up in pinball by default.

If by that you mean I need 10 pages of rulesets, no. I enjoy some games that are quite shallow. Black Rose, Funhouse, any number of system 11s. I have two ss bally's in my lineup right now for that matter. T2 is just blah.

#33 3 years ago

I took the center post out of my T-2 and it became a much better, challenging game. That being said, it only gets occasional play now, but really hits the spot when it does.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I took the center post out of my T-2 and it became a much better, challenging game. That being said, it only gets occasional play now, but really hits the spot when it does.

I put tiny EM flippers in my BSD.

God what a rush.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

God what a rush.

I did the same on a Judge Dredd.

But we aren't allowed to discuss liberal or conservative here, so let's just leave it at that.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I did the same on a Judge Dredd.
    But we aren't allowed to discuss liberal or conservative here, so let's just leave it at that.

Careful. Don't wanna upset the restarters and toilet paper tilt bobers, either.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

God what a rush.

LOL, now that is a challenge .

#38 3 years ago

What about Avengers (the first one, not Infinity Quest)? It is more goal based rather than mode based in that you hit each character's shot/area multiple times to qualify them, then collect them, then eventually to start various "Versus" multiballs to complete them. You can "stack" the qualification/collection of each, so while it is wood-choppy in some ways, you do not realize it since every major shot is building towards a different character. It's actually fairly similar to Metallica in this way. (someone is going to get very offended that I compared Met to TAV, LOL, but the wood chop level is similar...in fact I'd say Met is choppier if you are playing for EOTL). It has a nice build-up/evolution during a long game as you start hitting the VS modes, get to the mini-wizard mode by collecting all of the heroes, etc. In my opinion, it is one of the most underrated games ever, and it's a shame so many people have written it off. It's a bear to tweak and get shooting right, but once you do it is very unique and full of satisfying shots and an interesting ruleset (especially the late game). Plus the theme is extremely well integrated, from a physical Hulk throwing the ball around and "breaking" a ramp, to the versus modes mirroring the in-fighting seen in the first movie (right down to the final shot being whichever character breaks up the fight), to the brilliant mini-wizard mode that perfectly plays out the helicarrier scene from the movie. It's well worth a second look.

You might also want to take a look at TMNT (sorry, I know it's not a DMD, but bear with me). Yes, it is heavily mode based, but it also has so many side goals that you can play an entire, satisfying game without even starting a mode. Unique skill-shots, weapons hurry-ups, Krang combos, 1-2-3 Foot combo, April hurry-ups, pizza multiball that you can change the rules of based on what "toppings" you build up before starting it, the Training system which is difficult and builds to its own mini-wizard mode, etc. Not to mention it has not only a challenge mode that lets you play Final Battle as a stand-alone game, but it also has a new speed run based mini-game, Half-Shell Challenge that is completely separate from the main game. And all that is besides the 8 unique modes which build to a mini-wizard and wizard mode, plus an ultimate mode for doing basically everything. So yes...it's mode based, but it's a very full game experience even if you completely ignore the modes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-games-that-are-not-mode-focused?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.