Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dnaman
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180228_2205295 (resized).jpg
IMG_1763_(resized).jpg
IMG_1766_(resized).jpg
20160428_174548_(resized).jpg
20160428_181057_(resized).jpg
dmd_extender_ToM_(resized).jpg
redonblackspeccy2.JPG
redonblackspeccy1.JPG
Screenshot 2013-12-02 18.50.39.png
Screenshot 2013-12-02 18.51.20.png
Screenshot 2013-12-02 18.50.52.png
Screenshot 2013-12-02 18.41.00.png
Screenshot 2013-12-02 18.46.23.png
Screenshot 2013-12-02 18.43.27.png
Screenshot 2013-12-02 18.39.13.png
lotrconfig2.JPG

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

Any thoughts on getting one of these to work with a Smartball Skeeball machine? That game from Smart Industries uses a Vishay 128x64 DMD? Yes, that is correct, a 128x64. The display was also used in a few wall games by CES in the mid 90's, and is impossible to find a replacement.

Mine went out and I was thinking about trying to get one of these to see if I can make it work? Any thoughts about compatibility or guidance is much appreciated.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from tzollner:

Any thoughts on getting one of these to work with a Smartball Skeeball machine? That game from Smart Industries uses a Vishay 128x64 DMD? Yes, that is correct, a 128x64. The display was also used in a few wall games by CES in the mid 90's, and is impossible to find a replacement.
Mine went out and I was thinking about trying to get one of these to see if I can make it work? Any thoughts about compatibility or guidance is much appreciated.

Have you contacted Vishay about repair? I buy a lot of dead Vishays for pennies on the dollar and then send them to Vishay for service. Basically, getting nice Vishay DMDs for right around 80 bucks (their cost for repair). It has been about a year since I did my last one, but it may be an avenue worth pursuing.

#53 5 years ago

Thanks, I'll give Vishay a call. It's definitely worth a try. I'll probably get a DMD extender anyway to try out on my pins and experiment as well.

#54 5 years ago

Vishay does not repair DMDs anymore. I called them.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Vishay does not repair DMDs anymore. I called them.

That sucks, it was a hidden gem for a long time. Especially now that the price is climbing on the plasma stuff....

#56 5 years ago

Yes plasmas are quickly becoming obsolete in the pinball market. LED and LCDs are gaining market share fast. To anyone looking to buy a new display, adapt. You'll be glad you did when it's too late.

2 weeks later
#57 5 years ago

Is there any way at all to pay you using PayPal or Billmelater? Or do you have a distributor? For us providing $100 up front is a big obstacle, and mark my words. We will buy more often if you can finance a different way, preferably Billmelater.

#58 5 years ago

Also does the new version of your firmware allow you to vertically flip the image? Say if I wanted to flip the screen to get a better viewing angle.

1 week later
#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Also does the new version of your firmware allow you to vertically flip the image? Say if I wanted to flip the screen to get a better viewing angle.

It's possible to flip the screen by putting the following entry in config.txt...
display_rotate=2

Other options for this file can be found here...
http://www.elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

#60 5 years ago

On another note, I've now completed support for P-ROC and Gottlieb - let me know if you're interested...

Next up for support will hopefully be Dotmation slot screens

#61 5 years ago

Do you plan to add support for the small DE DMDs?

#62 5 years ago

I don't see any way that an LCD will physically fit behind a speaker panel that small. Plus the controller circuitry would have to be integrated or designed separately, which isn't going to happen. We already have LED replacement displays by PinLED.

1 month later
#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I don't see any way that an LCD will physically fit behind a speaker panel that small. Plus the controller circuitry would have to be integrated or designed separately, which isn't going to happen. We already have LED replacement displays by PinLED.

I just picked up a Hook, so now I'm interested in DMD Extender support. The width of the 128x16 display is the same as the standard one, so we're only having to deal with limited height from an installation perspective. I measured and I believe Hook could support the same type of LCD I put in JP after a few backbox bulbs are removed. The LCD would just stick out above the speaker panel more, but the overall installation method should be the same.

My hope is that some kind of adapter could be spliced into an existing display driver (working, but with an outgassed display maybe) to get the appropriate signals to the DMD Extender.

#66 5 years ago

I just replaced the DMD in my Getaway with a DMD extender + the recommended 1080p LCD laptop panel. Works great! However the default palette is the original DMD orange - does anyone have any color schemes for The Getaway (or untried ones that they think might look good)?

#67 5 years ago

Here is the White Water conversion I just did. As for the Getaway, make a palette yourself. I posted instructions a few posts above this one:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/4#post-1537581

#68 5 years ago

David,

Any plans on incorporating the circuitry to directly interface with common laptop panels to make a cleaner installation? I know this isn't the primary purpose of your board so totally understand if you don't have plans to do so...

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

David,
Any plans on incorporating the circuitry to directly interface with common laptop panels to make a cleaner installation? I know this isn't the primary purpose of your board so totally understand if you don't have plans to do so...

I doubt he'd be able to compete with China on a cost effective solution. Check out pics of some of the installations. Even with the LCD driver board, it can all be made to fit pretty well.

#70 5 years ago

The Extender does not run the software and generate the signal. The ideal controller is cheap and easy to use for interfacing with LVDS displays.

2 weeks later
#71 5 years ago

Just curious.....The third tab of the DMD config tool is for displaying a background image or a series of background images. For using the DMDExtender as a replacement of a DMD, does the background image have any practical purpose? Haven't played with it yet and haven't seen any discussions about background images. Thoughts?

Thank You.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from goldpins:

Just curious.....The third tab of the DMD config tool is for displaying a background image or a series of background images. For using the DMDExtender as a replacement of a DMD, does the background image have any practical purpose? Haven't played with it yet and haven't seen any discussions about background images. Thoughts?
Thank You.

The uses are certainly limited when using as a replacement display... but you could add a very small border design to the top and bottom of the display that would be seen in the screen window. Also, for the larger Sega screens where the LCD panel sits much higher up, it would be possible to include white or colour flashing sections that would be seen through the translite.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

David,

I started looking into this a few months ago and quickly realised that it was going to be a lot more expensive than the current solution. I agree that it would be nice to put everything on a single board and make this a fully inclusive solution, but then I have to keep reminding myself why I started the project... taking the Raspberry Pi and interfacing it to a pinball machine and seeing what the results could be like. Maybe it appeals to some people because it isn't a complete solution - there's still a bit of work to be done to get the results each person wants.

7 months later
#74 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I just picked up a Hook, so now I'm interested in DMD Extender support. The width of the 128x16 display is the same as the standard one, so we're only having to deal with limited height from an installation perspective. I measured and I believe Hook could support the same type of LCD I put in JP after a few backbox bulbs are removed. The LCD would just stick out above the speaker panel more, but the overall installation method should be the same.
My hope is that some kind of adapter could be spliced into an existing display driver (working, but with an outgassed display maybe) to get the appropriate signals to the DMD Extender.

Every try it on the 128x16?

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Every try it on the 128x16?

It's currently not compatible. The 128x16 will require an extra input pin that the DMD Extender doesn't currently utilize and isn't wired for. Then software would have to be updated to accept the signals and display appropriately. Also the signals can't just be taken from a simple connector. You've got to figure out all the points on the board where the necessary signals are and tap into them. I don't think Dr Pinball is interested in it at this point due to the complexity required on the customers' end, and I can completely understand that. I've also discussed it with Oga83 (of SmartDMD fame) and have even figured out signal points and done some tests with him, but nothing of note has come of it yet. I think we both had things come up and just haven't gotten back to doing further tests.

6 months later
#76 4 years ago

Are you still actively selling these? I'm desperately looking for one to bring my bay watch back to life ( I did send an email trough your website)

1 month later
#77 4 years ago

What's with the radio silence the past few months on these? Fortunately I'm all caught up for now, but still...

#78 4 years ago

Was wondering the same thing. I need one but would grab a few if they came up for sale again.

#79 4 years ago

He hasn't logged into Pinside since last August!

#80 4 years ago

I got mine a couple weeks ago. Communication was sporadic and it took a while for him to respond. Seems that several people are searching for these now.

#81 4 years ago

I need one more for our MSF. Anyone?

2 weeks later
#82 4 years ago

Bought a used extender for my getaway from a u.k. Pinsider. Find myself not looking at the full size DMD anymore. Very happy with it.

3 months later
#83 3 years ago

Can anyone share a link to a working DMD Extender app? (upload here or dropbox)
http://www.drpinball.co.uk/downloads/ is not working right now.

#84 3 years ago

Did he ever upload the files?

5 months later
#85 3 years ago

Tried to email last week no response. Tried again today. Anyone here have one there willing to sell?

#86 3 years ago

David is back in business. Give him time, he will get back to you.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

David is back in business. Give him time, he will get back to you.

He got back to me in 1 business day and my order was placed to upgrade my Frankenstein! He has been in constant communication and quick to reply to all of my emails post transaction.

#88 3 years ago

Glad to hear he's catching up. I love my DMD Extender.

#89 3 years ago

Works great:

dmd_extender_ToM_(resized).jpg

#90 3 years ago

but looks ugly

#91 3 years ago

How did you that to work with ColorDMD? I heard there isn't a 14-pin ribbon pass through on that. Did you pass through using the Extender board?

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How did you that to work with ColorDMD? I heard there isn't a 14-pin ribbon pass through on that. Did you pass through using the Extender board?

There is no color DMD. That is a DMD Extender setup which provides only 4 colors to replace the standard DMD shades. He has a static background image applied which makes it look colorful.

#93 3 years ago

Actually, that's smartdmd. Here are the posts where he explains how he did it. Posts 469 and 471.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more/page/10

#94 3 years ago

Oops, just went there and reread it. He is using ColorDMD in the speaker panel. The smartdmd has in and out ribbon cable connectors, so he must be going ribbon from dmd driver board to smart dmd and then ribbon from smartdmd to colordmd.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

Oops, just went there and reread it. He is using ColorDMD in the speaker panel. The smartdmd has in and out ribbon cable connectors, so he must be going ribbon from dmd driver board to smart dmd and then ribbon from smartdmd to colordmd.

Actually, no, this is DMD Extender, not SmartDMD.

I have experimented with both. The SmartDMD was my previous set up, but I found it difficult to keep it from overheating. Since then, I've been working with DMD Extender, which like SmartDMD, has a passthrough for the DMD ribbon cable. In this case, it passes through to my ColorDMD.

So, to be clear, this is DMD Extender, not SmartDMD. Let me know if you have any questions on how I've configured it.

#96 3 years ago

Got screen and controller board mounted my dmd extender should be here this week. Jsa might need help with config.

20160428_181057_(resized).jpg

20160428_174548_(resized).jpg

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Got screen and controller board mounted my dmd extender should be here this week. Jsa might need help with config.

20160428_181057_(resized).jpg20160428_174548_(resized).jpg

What little screen are you using on the apron?

#99 3 years ago

Anyone know if you can mix resolutions and hook up 2 screens to the extender using a HDMI splitter?

#100 3 years ago

And how are you powering the tontec screen?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside