• Latest reply 3 years ago by mrossman5
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DMDboard (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

My Black Rose have (as far as I know) a normal DMD. As soon as I turn on the machine the DMD starts "buzzing" with a high-pitched electrical noise. A part of the noise is always constant but some of the noise alters in pitch when the DMD display changes text/updates. Listen to video:

The sound is definitely coming from the DMD itself, apart from the obvious changing in frequency when the display updates I've also tried listening inside the backbox and near the speakers and I don't notice any sound from there.

I've looked at the DMD driver board (picture included) and it looks OK to me. Also tried re-seating the ribbon cable on both ends (board and DMD) with no changes in sound. Those three cooling metal plates at the bottom of the card are "quite hot" but I guess that is normal?

I think the noise has been there from day one that I bought it (about a year ago) but I'm not completely sure. It's not really noticeable when playing, but having the game in attract mode and hearing the buzz is annoying and it's growing on me.

Everything else on the game works as it should so I'm mainly worried if the DMD is about to die or if something else is on the verge of breaking.
DMDboard (resized).jpgDMDboard (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Same issue with mine

#3 4 years ago

They all do, it's HV whine. Varies game to game, some are worse than others, breakshot is terrible for this.

#4 4 years ago

Well, neither of my 3 other DMD games does this. If the sound was kind of low I would perhaps understand it, but the sound can be heard from the other side of the room.

#5 4 years ago

FYI, your video isn't accessible.

The display is dying. The only fix is to replace it, unfortunately.

In fact, it's a good idea to replace it even if the dots look ok since a dying display tends to put a lot of stress on the display driver board.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just edited the video settings, should be viewable now.

I had hoped it would be something that could be fixed without replacing the DMD.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I had hoped it would be something that could be fixed without replacing the DMD.

Unfortunately, DMDs don't last forever, and this one is on its way out.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

In fact, it's a good idea to replace it even if the dots look ok since a dying display tends to put a lot of stress on the display driver board.

What is the probability of a failing DMD killing the driver board? I know this is an impossible question to answer but in terms of "never/low chance/happens now and then/quite often/always" ... what would you say?

Never had the need to buy a separate DMD display but realized a standard DMD is about 300$, for 100$ more I can get a ColorDMD so if I do the replacement path it will probably be in color.

#9 4 years ago

Those plasma DMDs all make noise, some more than others. It doesn't mean it's failing. I think Cherry displays make more noise than Babcock and Vishay-Dale. You have 3 other displays so try swapping it around and see if it changes. Chances are it still stays noisy.

I've never heard of a bad or failing display taking out a DMD driver board or a bad DMD driver board taking out a display. The HV section on the display boards usually go out way before the displays, but displays do go bad.

Swap that display into ToM or TAF or TZ and see if it's noise gets better. If so, then leave it there.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Well, neither of my 3 other DMD games does this. If the sound was kind of low I would perhaps understand it, but the sound can be heard from the other side of the room.

Yeah that actually do. But they are either not as loud which is likely so you don't notice, or the frequency is different and you aren't hearing it, quite possibly a mix of the two reasons.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Massive overkill there, if it's working and the voltages are ok leave it be. It's not gonna blow a board, and the whine does not indicate imminent failure.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I've never heard of a bad or failing display taking out a DMD driver board or a bad DMD driver board taking out a display. The HV section on the display boards usually go out way before the displays, but displays do go bad.

Quoted from Beaverz:

Massive overkill there, if it's working and the voltages are ok leave it be. It's not gonna blow a board, and the whine does not indicate imminent failure.

The issue is that as a DMD starts failing, it pulls more current, and it stresses the HV section, which overheats and burns up the PCB and components.

It's more of a slower, long-term failure that greatly shortens the lifespan of the components, rather than a sudden death.

Quoted from Beaverz:

Yeah that actually do. But they are either not as loud which is likely so you don't notice, or the frequency is different and you aren't hearing it, quite possibly a mix of the two reasons.

I've encountered noisy DMDs before like the OP has described. It's loud enough to be heard over game sounds at near max volume. They are much, much louder than the normal quiet hum of a working DMD.

#13 4 years ago

Directly from the OP:
It's not really noticeable when playing, but having the game in attract mode and hearing the buzz is annoying and it's growing on me.

you say you've seen them as the OP described, so loud it's heard over the speakers at near max, much louder than a normal DMD.

based on exactly what he wrote that's not the case at all.

He does not have a failing DMD. unless your definition of failing is equivalent to saying every person is dying if they are alive.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

The issue is that as a DMD starts failing, it pulls more current, and it stresses the HV section, which overheats and burns up the PCB and components.
It's more of a slower, long-term failure that greatly shortens the lifespan of the components, rather than a sudden death.

I've encountered noisy DMDs before like the OP has described. It's loud enough to be heard over game sounds at near max volume. They are much, much louder than the normal quiet hum of a working DMD.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Beaverz:

unless your definition of failing is equivalent to saying every person is dying if they are alive.

It would be like a healthy person vs a chain smoker.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's would be like a healthy person vs a chain smoker.

I'm waiting for you to point out where the OP said it's so loud you can hear it over the speakers on full. I've pointed out where the exact opposite was stated.
So far there's a strong consensus of it's normal, your sky is falling view is literally the only one making that claim.

#16 4 years ago

Loud noise generated by the DMD that can be clearly heard from across the room is not normal. A quiet hum from the DMD that can be heard from a few feet away in a dead quiet room is normal.

I didn't say on full volume--I said close to full volume. Obviously, at some point the sounds from the speakers will drown out most mechanical or electronic noise for the most part.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Never had the need to buy a separate DMD display but realized a standard DMD is about 300$, for 100$ more I can get a ColorDMD so if I do the replacement path it will probably be in color.

You can likely also find a new or used monocolor LCD/LED display for $100-$150 which will be completely silent in operation. Since this is a low voltage display, it will not use any of the HV components on the driver board; you can and should remove both fuses from the board at this point.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Loud noise generated by the DMD that can be clearly heard from across the room is not normal. A quiet hum from the DMD that can be heard from a few feet away in a dead quiet room is normal.
I didn't say on full volume--I said close to full volume. Obviously, at some point the sounds from the speakers will drown out most mechanical or electronic noise for the most part.

OP never stated it's clearly heard from across the room, OP stated it's heard in attract mode, OP started it's not noticed during games. OP does not state game volume is at, or near, max during game play. If the OP is like most people, the game is likely set at somewhere between the default minimum of 8 and maybe 12, unless the OP has the minimum override turned on. Most people don't keep games in their house near max under normal circumstances, maybe a but higher for a party sure.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Beaverz:

OP never stated it's clearly heard from across the room

Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The display is dying.

I disagree. I have bought a couple of brand new Vishay DMD from Pinball Life in the past and they make this same high voltage whine, and yes I can hear them 10 feet away in attract mode with the translite in the game. I think even Babcocks also whine quite a bit.

#21 4 years ago

ColorDMD is just awesome. Quiet and colorful!

9 months later
#22 3 years ago

I know this is adding to an older thread. I have a T2 with a buzzing DMD that scales with how many segments are lit up. Been that way since I bought the game a year ago. Very noticeable in attract mode and somewhat when playing too.

My congo is silent. And my JP has a color display also silent. Except for the pinwoofer kits I have in all 3... But anyway T2 is kind of annoying and I was curious what I had to do to fix it. Sounds a bit like congo gets color and T2 gets the donor...

Sad thing is the display is perfect other than that. Kind of a bummer to replace it.

2 months later
#23 3 years ago

I have this altering frequency noise that increases the more that the DMD is lit. It's in a WPC Hurricane.

I'll do some colt testing on the connector tomorrow and see what's what. I had planned to replace the HV parts

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Biglouie:

I have this altering frequency noise that increases the more that the DMD is lit. It's in a WPC Hurricane.
I'll do some colt testing on the connector tomorrow and see what's what. I had planned to replace the HV parts

As I mentioned above, it will the DMD. I had new Vishay DMDs that are the loudest of them all.

Easier just to swap the DMD between your 2 games and see for yourself.

#25 3 years ago

Will give it a go. NOS Cherry DMDs are 300$

Voltages all checked out fine.

#26 3 years ago

Vishay brand was the last DMD to be produced from what I read/seen.

#27 3 years ago

My Vishay display is almost dead silent. Replaced a cherry which was quite loud.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-emits-weird-buzzing-noise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.