(Topic ID: 127065)

DMD displays garbage; low 5v at display?

By Collin

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Collin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

OK, I've got an odd issue that I'm struggling to diagnose on my Jack*Bot. It displays garbage (similar to a blown U24 RAM.) Initially it only happened occasionally when the game was on for a couple hours. Then it would happen after half an hour. Now it displays garbage starting as soon as the game boots.

I've swapped the following between my Jack*Bot and Shadow to rule out possible causes of the problem:
DMD
Display controller board
Both ribbon cables

This has me thinking it may be MPU related. (I don't see acid damage.)

The gradual onset tells me it's not that some component failed suddenly (I think) but rather something has gone bad over time, maybe a solder joint or socket somewhere.

I think I'm on the right path, but have hit a bit of an impasse. Any words of wisdom?

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

OK, I've got an odd issue that I'm struggling to diagnose on my Jack*Bot. It displays garbage (similar to a blown U24 RAM.) Initially it only happened occasionally when the game was on for a couple hours. Then it would happen after half an hour. Now it displays garbage starting as soon as the game boots.
I've swapped the following between my Jack*Bot and Shadow to rule out possible causes of the problem:
DMD
Display controller board
Both ribbon cables
This has me thinking it may be MPU related. (I don't see acid damage.)
The gradual onset tells me it's not that some component failed suddenly (I think) but rather something has gone bad over time, maybe a solder joint or socket somewhere.
I think I'm on the right path, but have hit a bit of an impasse. Any words of wisdom?

swap out the MPU's next. You need to move 2 chips on each board to do this, the Eprom and the Security chip.

#3 8 years ago

Swapped MPUs, and the problem persists.

I just checked voltages at the DMD, and the 5v was crazy low - like 2.6v. I disconnected the DMD, and that 5v is still around 2.6v.

The 5v on the driver board test point is pretty much dead on.

I'll text 5v coming off the driver board from J117-4 next

#4 8 years ago

Well, I think my J117 connector is a bit loose; I reseated it, and have a solid, stable 5v at the display. I'll leave the game on for a while to verify that everything is good.

Worst case Ontario, I'll have to replace a connector, it appears.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Atlanta, GA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-displays-garbage-unrelated-to-controller-board-or-cables and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.