Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ktuhde
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I got an original Attack from Mars yesterday. I can clean and fix basic pinball issues, but never faced a display issue. I wanted to post a video just to see if anyone can help me troubleshoot.

First thing I tried was reseating the ribbon cables. Haven’t gotten any farther than that yet.

Thanks for any help

#2 2 years ago

Time to.measure the -112v, -100v and 62v at the DMD power connector. At the very least the 2 larger capacitors in the high voltage section need to be replaced for the rolling screen.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Time to.measure the -112v, -100v and 62v at the DMD power connector. At the very least the 2 larger capacitors in the high voltage section need to be replaced for the rolling screen.

Thanks. I’ll try to read some of the pinwiki info to see if I can figure out how to check this.

I have a WCS94. Compatibility wise, could I take this dmd out of the AFM and connect it to the WCS to make sure the dmd itself is good?

#4 2 years ago

Check your other post too.

LTG : )

#5 2 years ago

Thanks. Sorry for the double post.

I did just pick up the pin yesterday and it had a car ride home. So I’ll check all of the connectors and grounds. I know moving pins seems to bring out the gremlins.

#6 2 years ago

At the very least the 2 larger capacitors in the high voltage section need to be replaced for the rolling screen.

These 2 capacitors would be on the A/V board. Had fixed 3 in the past on WPC95 games with this type of rolling display.

Quoted from ktuhde:

I have a WCS94. Compatibility wise, could I take this dmd out of the AFM and connect it to the WCS to make sure the dmd itself is good?

You can and I suspect it will test good.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from ktuhde:

Thanks. I’ll try to read some of the pinwiki info to see if I can figure out how to check this.

6.27.3 has a chart with the voltages to check on the 7 pin DMD power connector. Wedge the black meter lead under the ground braid wire at the bottom of the backbox so you only have to handle one meter lead when measuring the voltage.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

#8 2 years ago

We’ll… I guess I’m going to learn something about troubleshooting. I just started by unplugging the ribbon cables and molex plugs off and on the av board and cpu board. Machine was unplugged. Then I plugged it back in and turned it on and it doesn’t boot. Back glass lights, saucer leds, and coin return lights are all that turn on. No sound or dmd.

I double checked to make sure I plugged everything back in correctly. I don’t see anything I must be missing something.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from ktuhde:

I must be missing something.

Red stripe pin one each side ?

Not off by a row ?

#10 2 years ago

Found it. Thanks. So weird how you can stare and check those cables over and over and keep staring right past it. Thanks again. Now on to the pin wiki to do some testing. Seems like the consensus is that the two capacitors are the most likely culprit.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#11 2 years ago
Quoted from ktuhde:

So weird how you can stare and check those cables over and over and keep staring right past it.

That is why once in awhile you need to take a break.

If I put a driver board back in a pin. I always take a break. And then go back and check connectors again.

Fresh eyes are the best.

#12 2 years ago

Could someone tell me a good place to order the capacitors? It is 150 uf, 160v. Pinwiki says you could use 220uF/160V.

I have looked online and keep getting linked to vendors that aren't in the US. Other websites have so many options I can't tell what is the correct item to order. If you could leave a link that would help. Thanks

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from ktuhde:

Found it. Thanks. So weird how you can stare and check those cables over and over and keep staring right past it. Thanks again. Now on to the pin wiki to do some testing. Seems like the consensus is that the two capacitors are the most likely culprit.

I doubt they will fix your problem. Repairs using the "shotgun" method rarely end well.

Try measuring voltages before replacing anything.

#15 2 years ago

I’ve done this as well. I swapped a playfield in my Whirlwind and I had to do a bit of board work on the System 11 CPU/Driver board. When I reinstalled, I lost my sound errors but none of the controlled lamps were working. I freaked out checking fuses and power thinking I shorted something. The actual culprit after about an hour of searching? A connector that wedged behind the board and was unplugged.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

The actual culprit after about an hour of searching? A connector that wedged behind the board and was unplugged.

Thankfully you are the only one who has ever done that or will ever do that.

I kill me. I'll be here all week. Try the veal. Tip the waiter.

#17 2 years ago

Thanks for the help

I have ordered the high voltage repair kit from Rob on lockwhenlit.com that includes the correct capacitors.

I have found a local pinsider who will do the board work for me. I stopped into my local computer/tv/electronics repair small business. He said he could do it, but gave me the name of this person who owns another local business that he knew owned a bunch of pinball machines. Turns out I knew him from buying a pin a while back and I knew he was on pinside. Sent him a PM today and he said he could do the capacitors and just give the whole board a look. Good to see these small businesses support each other.

I love these repair forum threads. It’s truly what makes pinside and this community great. Also a good break from the negative forums about the latest releases and pricing.

I’ll post an update once everything is done.

3 weeks later
#18 2 years ago

Has the board returned yet?

#19 2 years ago

Has the board returned yet?

Still waiting on delivery of all of the parts for the A/V board high voltage rebuild kit. USPS has been very slow and it was finally set to arrive today. But they stopped mail delivery due to snow today. Hopefully the person I have set up to do the board work can do a quick turn around once I get everything.

#20 2 years ago

Update:

Replaced the two capacitors and no more rolling screen.

Thank you pinside technical forum community! Tons of helpful and good people here.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 21.50
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
16,500 (OBO)
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
Boards
PinSound
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-display-issue-afm?hl=ktuhde and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.