(Topic ID: 287757)

DMD display issue

By Coachmudd74

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello I am having an issue with my PartyZone DMD display...so what it’s doing but not all the time but mainly in the beginning of game play the display looks fuzzy or blurry I guess best describes it...and sometimes like a wave of lines vertically moving up or down...but after a little bit it looks crisp again nice and bright....is this a DMD just on its way out? I am planning on buying a color led so if my old one is going bad I planned putting a new color dmd anyway... I want to make sure it’s the display not something else causing the display to act this way... any information is greatly appreciated! And thank you in advance!

#2 3 years ago

Try reseating the ribbon cables running from DMD to board. That often fixes issues.

#3 3 years ago

It sounds like more than just re-seating cables. Most likely an out-gassed display. The fuzzy or no display is a sign, and clears up after heat/pressure builds
(it will eventually die).

Now if it was just vertical lines, I would be thinking a data problem. You may still have that as well, and/or not enough power to the DMD. Voltage drops.

If you go color DMD, you solve either problem. No out-gassed display, and the color DMD does not consume as much power.

#4 3 years ago

Sounds like to me this is a High Voltage issue on the DMD controller board. Normally when you see that wavy background, the -112v and -100v drifted out of spec, closer to -130v and -118v, or even higher. Do you have a multimeter to be able to test these voltages to confirm?

If it turns out to be a voltage problem as mentioned, you can upgrade to a ColorDMD, which does not use these high voltages, which means you can skip repairing that part of the DMD controller board.

#5 3 years ago

Hello everyone looks like I will be making a purchase from colordmd I’m excited never owned a color dmd! Thank you for everyones input it’s greatly appreciated! It’s really nice to have this source when your fairly new to the hobby thanks again everyone and take care!

#6 3 years ago

You won't regret the Color DMD. I have on for my Addams, and I just ordered one earlier this week for TOTAN.

#7 3 years ago

I beta tested the LED display for Party Zone. It has a lot of good color that works well with this title.

I have 12 ColorDMDs, and my scores always drop as I find myself looking at the animations too much when I play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-display-issue-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.