(Topic ID: 246736)

Sega DMD has dim sections on certain frames

By Gogojohnnyquack

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6446 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6445 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6444 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6442 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gogojohnnyquack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi. I am refurbishing a Sega The Lost World Jurassic Park and have a DMD that behaves strangely. Sometimes it is normal, and other times it has parts dimmed out or patchy. I have replaced the ribbon cables, replaced the DMD with a known 100% one, and checked the power output of the display power supply. While the voltages aren't at the top of the range they appear to be within spec and there is a 12v difference between pins 1 and 2. I took these measurements with the display connected.

What do the tech gurus here advise?

Here are pics of what I am talking about..

Normal behavior in DMD test (vert. line out is the scanning line during the test) and Portals menu:

Portals menu normalPortals menu normalDMD test normalDMD test normal

Patchy/Dim behavior at other times:

patchy switch matrixpatchy switch matrixpatchy version screenpatchy version screen

2 weeks later
    #2 4 years ago

Beuller?

#10 4 years ago

Thank you all for your replies and advice.

Quoted from bssbllr:

Did you reseat all the plugs

Yes, several times, and replaced all of the ribbon cables.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Appears that DMD is outgassing.

I took the DMD from Lord of the Rings and it behaves identically.

Quoted from DumbAss:

If swapping the display with a known good produces the same results then it's likely to be a voltage problem rather than a digital logic problem.

This was my suspicion and I will engage my electron vision and post power supply pin voltages with and without the display connected tomorrow. I have ordered a bunch of components to rebuild the power supply assuming that this will be the issue. The logic appears to function correctly for the rest of the game.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

The goal is to isolate the faulty component. There are three variables in play here.

1) The actual display.
    2) The DMD controller.
    3) The power to the display.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I believe both the LOTR and the Lost World JP both use the same small DMD power supply. I would swap that next before replacing parts. Board part numbers should be labeled on the boards and in the game manuals.

I have installed the DMD from LOTR with identical results. This eliminates the display as the problem.

I have installed the display power supply from LOTR with similar results. The lower right corner of the switch matrix screen are still dim but they 'fade in'. Other screens show the exact same dim sections as before. Below is a short movie clip showing this effect. This eliminates the power supply as the problem.

Next I will install the DMD controller from LOTR, which will have eliminated everything except the power supply wires and the display ROM.

I have wiggled the power supply wires from end to end with no change in behavior.

The currently installed Display ROM is 201 from IPDB.org, which also comes with the CPU ROM 202 that I have not been able to make work. But that is an issue for another thread.

6 months later
    #14 4 years ago

Well, I'm a dumb ass. Not sure what I was doing before but I just swapped in the DMD from #lord-of-the-rings and it works great. Thanks for everyone's help and advice, I'll mark this as resolved.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gogojohnnyquack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-display-dim-at-times?tu=Gogojohnnyquack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.