• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image2.jpeg
image.jpeg
#1 10 years ago

Two days ago I switched on my Fish Tales machine and played a couple of games, everything was working as usual. I left the game in attract mode for a while, and when I looked at it moments later the display was black, not a single dot was lit. I've had the machine for 6 months and never had any problems with the DMD, it's bright and all lines are clear and visible. I tried to restart the game just to be faced by the display flickering and not looking well at all, the animations would come on and off with a lot of grain and eventually the display died again. I took a picture of how it looked just before it went black.
However, thinking that the display had died, the dots began to light up again and I could make out some animations, and all of a sudden the display worked perfectly again like nothing ever happened.
I played some more games and the DMD seemed fine, but yesterday when I got home the same think happened again.

I wonder what this could be. I'm a rookie and have never fixed a pinball machine before so I don't know what to look for. Is it possible that it could be just a bad wire or soldering that causes a loose power connection? Or is the whole DMD broken and need to be replaced? The display looks good when it works so to speak.

This happens quite untimely as I'm about to trade the game in some weeks, I would be very grateful if someone could help me locate this problem. Thanks guys!

image.jpegimage.jpeg image2.jpegimage2.jpeg

#2 10 years ago

The high-voltage power supply for the DMD is notoriously fickle. You can get a rebuild kit for about $20 or so to change the hv components if you're handy with a soldering iron.

#4 10 years ago

Looks like a DMD driver board RAM issue, you will need to replace that chip.

#5 10 years ago

Have you checked the ribbon cables, Try flipping the ribbon cable around and see if that may help/work.

#6 10 years ago

This just happened to me last night. My WH2O Color dmd was flickering after the 2.1 patch so I pulled the ribbon out to re seat it. Well, I booted up and the same result as you. OK I said. I replaced the color dmd with the original and the same issue. I then pulled the board out and put it back into the head. Well, this worked for me. Not only did it start working but the color dmd now works flawlessly. Give it a shot. Do not know if these are underling issues to come but it works now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 169.00
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-broken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.