Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Wolfanoz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Just discovered my DM had its knocker wires cut at some point of its life. (Not necessary to have but I prefer a complete machine)

Will have to look at the manual when I get home but does anyone by chance know which wires go to which lug so I can perhaps re-solder it when I get home later? I'll have to find two stray wires laying somewhere, I suppose.

When I get a free game, I can hear something buzz but its not the knocker as the wires are cut.

#2 10 years ago

If it's an export game, it may have a coin counter in the lower cabinet. Those are often used on export games with the knocker circuitry.

Strange that someone would cut the wires, when there's a connector they could just unplug though.

Since the coil doesn't have a diode across the lugs, you can solder the wires to the lugs however you like - one wire on one lug, and one wire on the other.

#3 10 years ago

Measure the resistance of the coil first and check the driver transistor! I have come across this a couple times where someone has done this, thinking they were just lazy or didn't know what they were doing, only to find out that a transistor and/or coil shorted, and this was the answer.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Measure the resistance of the coil first and check the driver transistor! I have come across this a couple times where someone has done this, thinking they were just lazy or didn't know what they were doing, only to find out that a transistor and/or coil shorted, and this was the answer.

I'm just quoting you so that it is clear. I've run across machines where it looked like every time there was a problem they cut the wires to another coil. Even after a fire in the chime box, the solution was to cut the wires (I can't imagine how bad it smelled when it happened). If something is clipped like that, someone did it for a reason... so now you have to go looking for the why to fix it.

#5 10 years ago

Agreed with atomicboy and DaveH, I had a Pinbot with the wires clipped to the coil--soldered wires back on and it fried the driver transistor! Turned out the coil was missing it's diode! The coil on JM probably doesn't have a diode though, I believe the diode is on one of the circuit boards. Either way--check coil resistance and driver transistor and everything else on that coil's circuit before wiring it in!

Trevor

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm just quoting you so that it is clear. I've run across machines where it looked like every time there was a problem they cut the wires to another coil. Even after a fire in the chime box, the solution was to cut the wires (I can't imagine how bad it smelled when it happened). If something is clipped like that, someone did it for a reason... so now you have to go looking for the why to fix it.

May not be the case, but it's so quick and easy to check to be sure. It's especially perplexing, as John noted, given there is a connector right there, but as you say, it seemed to be a common fix, just cut off the power to the problem and get it ready to except quarters again.

#7 10 years ago

So I have a Tom with the wires clipped an attached to a counter in cabinet.
Is it safe to reattach them so I get the knocker working? Thanks

5 months later
#8 9 years ago

Finally getting around to it, I just ordered a new knocker (and coil). And John, it's a 120V game.

The clipped wires attached to the current one look red and black. Are there other recommended wires to attach or should I root around the head looking for the same clipped wires and reattach those? Can't seem to find them thus far.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 81.95
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dm-knocker-wires-clipped and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.