(Topic ID: 98496)

DM ball trough issue. Possibly LED1...

By Turkey_Robinson

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

My game has been spitting out additional balls lately. I believe I've whittled it down to LED1 on the trough board. I used my phone camera to look at the LED and it's much less bright than the others. The issue now is that whenever I drop a ball into the trough it rolls down and activates the trough jam sensor when it gets to switch 35 (trough 5). I've used a wooden stick to close switch 35 and it does not cause sw36 to close. So it leads me to believe that the ball is raised too high in the trough? There seem to be some raised bumps (the opposite of sunken-in divots. They aren't very large though) in the trough but those have always been there so this problem technically should have been happening since the first day we got it. I've tried testing LED1 but I'm not sure if the reading would be different because it runs through a resistor first. Should I be getting a 12v reading at LED1? I'm a little confused as to what to do next though. I feel like I could try replacing LED1 but I want to get to the bottom of this before I start doing anything. Also, the coil that pops the ball out of the trough isn't always pushing the ball up to the shooter lane. It fires when it should but it can't always raise the ball. New coil? I think all these problems seem to be in conjunction with each other. I have a new coil but again, I want to understand what's going on before I start tinkering.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

I would go into switch test and make sure all trough optos are registering first

#3 9 years ago

all trough optos are registering

#4 9 years ago

I had a similar issue where all worked fine in test but was flaky during game so I just bought the glm boards and been ok since ?

#5 9 years ago

I agree. Get the GLM trough boards.
I have three of them in total on my JD, DM, and STTNG, they have been bullet proof since I got them.
As far as the trough up kicker its not the coil. Coils either work or they don't. First make sure you have the correct coil installed, if you have a weaker coil you will have problems getting the ball into the shooter lane. If the coil is correct and yours is weak check the solder connection to make sure its getting full power, if the connection is poor you will not get full voltage to the coil allowing it to fire at full strength. Finally, check the coil tube and armature, if the tube is stuck in the coil you will get more friction that will slow down the armature keeping it from shooting the ball at full strength. If the armature is damaged in any way ( I believe the tip is a hard black plastic) if the tip is broken, mushroomed, or concave it will not work correctly.
Good luck

#6 9 years ago

Getting a new board does seem easiest. All the solder connections on the back of the current board look like shit too. A lot of the connections have become crusty and covered in mysterious black goo.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 72.95
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dm-ball-trough-issue-possibly-led1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.