Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Tekman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

My DM is having intermittent ball launch issues not going all the way around to the upper flipper skill shot every time and hitting the left most lane guide area and bouncing down to the pop area. It must be a mechanical issue with the launch ramp and loop guide placements/shape. I have replaced the coil, sleeve,bell armature, driver transistors, and of course the launcher coil bracket is adjusted perfectly and voltage is good. The launch is never weak and the problem seem to be some sort of weird intermittent ball bounce issue. I acquired the machine like this and assumed it only needed the usual coil/sleeve fix and never had a known good state to work with. It all happens so fast I never get to see what is actually causing the issue. Shots to the right loop from the flippers have smooth flow and no issues. Any ideas or past experience on this?

#2 7 years ago

It sounds like the ball is hitting something on it's way up,You said you replaced the coil did you replace it with the correct one that's labeled in the manual and not a stronger coil?
Is the game leveled properly?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

It sounds like the ball is hitting something on it's way up,You said you replaced the coil did you replace it with the correct one that's labeled in the manual and not a stronger coil?
Is the game leveled properly?

Yes on both counts. AE-23-800 and 7 degree angle.

#4 7 years ago

My game makes it to the upper flipper about 75% of the time. I have the same issue with it getting hung up on the ball guide. I just thought it was part of the game

#5 7 years ago

I think installing a weaker coil should solve the issue..Coil might just be to strong.

#6 7 years ago

i have this problem as well after i shopped the machine out. it hits the side of my ball gate for MB mode. i think for some reason the out lane didnt' line up perfectly after reassemble, causing the ball to be thrown cm's into the side of the ball gate. i'd say it's 75% as well. next time you play, plunge the ball and look up near the back cab and see if it's grazing the gate, and dropping into the pop bumpers. i figure i'll just have to disassmeble the ramps and outer ball lanes to re adjust. pain in the ass, but it's what's going on for me. i'd almost bet your right side lane guide in where the ball exists is just barely offset, i don't understand how myself but i think this is the problem i'm having as well. let me know what you find out. i could be the auto plunger, but it only started up after i reassembled so i'm pretty sure its an alignment issue.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

I think installing a weaker coil should solve the issue..Coil might just be to strong.

I thought the same thing and actually tested a AE-23-900 coil in as a test and had the same issue.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

My game makes it to the upper flipper about 75% of the time. I have the same issue with it getting hung up on the ball guide. I just thought it was part of the game

Good info! Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Any other DM owners want to chime in on getting 75% or less/more?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

i have this problem as well after i shopped the machine out. it hits the side of my ball gate for MB mode. i think for some reason the out lane didnt' line up perfectly after reassemble, causing the ball to be thrown cm's into the side of the ball gate. i'd say it's 75% as well. next time you play, plunge the ball and look up near the back cab and see if it's grazing the gate, and dropping into the pop bumpers. i figure i'll just have to disassmeble the ramps and outer ball lanes to re adjust. pain in the ass, but it's what's going on for me. i'd almost bet your right side lane guide in where the ball exists is just barely offset, i don't understand how myself but i think this is the problem i'm having as well. let me know what you find out. i could be the auto plunger, but it only started up after i reassembled so i'm pretty sure its an alignment issue.

You can actually get your hand in between the ramps and bend the gate back just a tad. I tried that a while back with no luck. I agree it sounds like the right guide lane is misaligned but it seems like the two phillips head mounting screws perpendicular to wood side rail would prevent alignment issues and shots from the lower left flipper result in a smooth shot around that same loop without issue. I'm starting to think it's a problem with the metal launch ramp bent or misaligned. I just never had a known good starting point to work with and have no idea what the person before me did.

#10 7 years ago

Problem was solved by drilling new holes and shifting the loop guide 2mm to the right of the original holes where the two perpendicular phillips head screws mount the guide to the side rail. This allowed just the slightest extra curve the loop guide needed to fix the issue. I have a feeling these two holes are just eyeballed from the factory unlike the actual playfield mounting holes and this machine never had a 100% success rate on the skill shot loop to start with. Funny this only effected the auto-launcher shot and not an actual loop shot from the left flipper. This was four hours of my life I would like back.

#11 7 years ago

When I had problem with the SM auto launch, it ended up being the shooter spring was collapsed enough that it kept the ball too far forward in the shooter lane for the auto plunger to get a good whack at the ball.

#12 7 years ago

thats crazy you had to drill 2 holes tekman. i just think i need to slightly press the ball lane guide and retighten? i'll try something next time i shop it out. lol, it's a pain to pull all the ramps off. like you mentioned.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

thats crazy you had to drill 2 holes tekman. i just think i need to slightly press the ball lane guide and retighten? i'll try something next time i shop it out. lol, it's a pain to pull all the ramps off. like you mentioned.

The only thing I needed to remove was one screw and one nut to get the right side wireform out of the way. My hand fits perfectly in the pop/lane area to do whatever I need. I used a small phillips screwdriver with the screws to make the new holes as I screwed them in. I did remove the shooter lane ramp so I could loosen the lower two guide screws to take the tension away while I relocated/screwed the two phillips screws in.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Stafford Township, NJ
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 28.00
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside