View topic image gallery

IMG_7836 (resized).JPG
IMG_7833 (resized).JPG
bonus (resized).jpg
66 (resized).jpg
dk (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
25giftCertificate224x2242 (resized).JPG
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#3 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Without a doubt Donkey Kong.

25giftCertificate224x2242 (resized).JPG25giftCertificate224x2242 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

Neither. I hate to be a contrarian but they both are pretty bad

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Neither. I hate to be a contrarian but they both are pretty bad

I kind of agree, yeah. At this point, however, TDK is in better shape than B66, but B66 will probably end up being the better game between the two when the code finally gets up to par. Either way, they're just not that great when it comes to the layout.

#6 6 years ago

Donkey Kong, all day long! It's cheaper and code is complete

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I kind of agree, yeah. At this point, however, TDK is in better shape than B66

Wait, I thought we were talking about Donkey Kong....

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#8 6 years ago

I think 66 is much more fun to play, even with the current code, especially if you are a fan of the TV series. The LCD integration is terrific and 66 greatly improves on the BDK layout.

In the long run, 66 will seem far less dated than BDK.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

In the long run, 66 will seem far less dated than BDK.

LOL it's literally the most dated Batman.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

...66 greatly improves on the BDK layout.

I don't know about that. The orbits and the Scarecrow scoop were super smooth on TDK and they are some of the clunkiest shots ever on 66. I literally find myself saying "clunky" out loud when I play it and this is on a game from an op here that takes immaculate care of his games and knows what he is doing. Sure the coffee can and teeter totter on TDK suck, but the Bat Cave toy on 66 is not impressive at this point at all. I don't think TDK is a great game by any means, but Batman 66 is such a disappointment at this point, especially when you factor in that it costs basically double what a TDK does. We have Batman 66 on route here for a quarter a game and I still don't get excited to play it.

#12 6 years ago

I Vote BDK I feel like it has more things than 66 and is less clunky and its way cheaper. BDK also has heath ledger joker who is awesome.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I don't know about that. The orbits and the Scarecrow scoop were some of the smoothest shots in pinball on TDK and they are some of the clunkiest shots ever on 66.

After a small adjustment on the left ramp, I have no problem with the BM66 orbit shots and have never had a problem with the scoop.

I agree that if price is a significant consideration that might favor DK, but only if you like both themes. I wouldn't ever own a DK, but I really like 66 and think Lyman will make it epic.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL it's literally the most dated Batman.

I'm sure you know what I meant to say, but I'll rephrase - Batman 66 will remain timeless and classic. DK not so much.

Think Creature or MB verses 24.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

...think Lyman will make it epic.

Yeah, I didn't even mention that flimsy left ramp because the other issues are more glaring. The clunky orbits and the scoop rejections from solid shots are beyond annoying, especially considering MB is so important in that game and the scoop is the Super Jackpot. I guess you can always fall into the scoop from behind and get it awarded that way, especially when you are trying not to cash it out.

Everyone keeps saying this and I really hope people are right. Lyman has been fantastic, but remember he also worked on TDK code and I wouldn't call that epic by any means. Sure TDK was pretty awful before he got his hands on it, but even that Batpod orbit and MB he put in there looks so out of place in the game and allows for a big scoring imbalance. He only has so much time and if they decide to bail on 66 like they have with other games, layout and LCD screens are not going to save it. For me personally, for all the hype that Batman 66 got and the premium price they charged for it, it is pretty much a total stinker right now in my book.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I'm sure you know what I meant to say, but I'll rephrase - Batman 66 will remain timeless and classic. DK not so much.

DK is pretty timeless. It's my favorite Batman movie and I'm a big B89 fan.

My vote is BDK. It's way cheaper. I played a pretty nice version at Grand Ole Gameroom Expo.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Sorry, it just comes down to perspective and personal taste. For most people, the Nolan Batman is the definitive movie Batman & Ledger's Joker is the definitive Joker. It's a contemporary movie, so we'll see if it remains timeless - but Batman 66 is STEEPED in 60's culture and camp. People love it because they grew up with it or because it's funny ...but it's not remotely timeless. It's literally "1960s".

#18 6 years ago

I'm looking forward to the eventual B66 retheme into Lego Batman.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sorry, it just comes down to perspective and personal taste. For most people, the Nolan Batman is the definitive movie Batman & Ledger's Joker is the definitive Joker. It's a contemporary movie, so we'll see if it remains timeless - but Batman 66 is STEEPED in 60's culture and camp. People love it because they grew up with it or because it's funny ...but it's not remotely timeless. It's literally "1960s".

Actually I think he was talking about the art style of the pins. BDK's photoshop collage with B66's more hand drawn style. But am I mistaken in thinking that BDK is hand drawn too? It's just that ultra realistic style like GOTLE.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Actually I think he was talking about the art style of the pins. BDK's photoshop collage with B66's more hand drawn style. But am I mistaken in thinking that BDK is hand drawn too? It's just that ultra realistic style like GOTLE.

They're actually both similar in the sense that they're using "hand-drawn" assets for existing Batman product, then Photoshopped together into a pinball art package. B66's is a little more energetic and fun, though - but that's due to the source material.

#21 6 years ago

I think 66 will eventually become a much better game than DK. DK was very nearly a great game but there is just too much pointless crap on it (the see saw, the biscuit barrel and the path of the gadget).
I think the changes on 66 are much better than what went before on DK.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I think 66 will eventually become a much better game than DK. DK was very nearly a great game but there is just too much pointless crap on it (the see saw, the biscuit barrel and the path of the gadget).
I think the changes on 66 are much better than what went before on DK.

I think what will save B66 is humor...if they finally pepper the game with just TONS of Adam West, Burt Ward and the rest of the villains...it will make the game super fun, especially to the casual player.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For most in a certain generation Nolan/Ledger are definitive, sure.

As for BM66 - yes, it's timeless. 60's culture and camp is still camp. And camp is timeless. The Beatles are 60's (and 70's), but I would still consider them "timeless" - something that isn't only generational and will be enjoyed for ages to come.

NFW Nolan's Batman and/or Ledger's Joker are as remembered in 30 more years as the Batman TV series is today. It just isn't going to hold up or be memorable enough (as there will certainly be more iterations of Batman involved). And it doesn't come close to having the same multi-generational pop culture impact that the Batman TV series did (probably at its peak when Batman was on the cover of Life magazine).

#24 6 years ago

I'm really surprised how close it is. I thought 66 would run away with it. Of course, I think some people voted for Donkey Kong.

#25 6 years ago

In regards to TDK being memorable or holding up over time, it did take over 1 billion in earnings making it the 17th highest grossing movie of all time and by far the highest grossing Batman franchise. I would say in 40 years that most teens etc who watched it will see it as iconic.

Now, if they released a new batman today being a grown man wearing a speedo and his sidekick the boy wonder, I'm not sure that would crack the billion dollar mark.

#26 6 years ago

I brought a pinball which I like, my family and friends enjoy playing. It sits beside other NIBs and has equal if not more play on it! As everyone is aware the code is not complete for 66, that only gets them more excited about the game and what's to come. Btw left ramp is tight now due to additional parts supplied by Stern.

It makes me laugh as this is the same shit I coped for buying Met early code. Look how it was completed.

Will compare games when code is complete, then vote.

#27 6 years ago

Abbreviations are totally fucked in this thread.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

It makes me laugh as this is the same shit I coped for buying Met early code. Look how it was completed.

Met wasn't $10k-$15k.

#29 6 years ago

personally, BM66 is designed like a pieces of shit. If you lock a ball, there is nothing stopping the balls from rolling out the back when the game goes into ball search. So it doesn't know the balls are now gone, gets confused and forever kicks out 2 balls thinking they are 1. So you lose 1, it's turn over. Huge physical design flaw.

I'd take BDK all day. And i'd pick donkey kong as well. It's impossible to tell WTF is going on here since nobody seems to know how to use the correct terms. This is basically what the thread is about.

dk (resized).jpgdk (resized).jpg

VS>

66 (resized).jpg66 (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

personally, BM66 is designed like a pieces of shit. If you lock a ball, there is nothing stopping the balls from rolling out the back when the game goes into ball search. So it doesn't know the balls are now gone, gets confused and forever kicks out 2 balls thinking they are 1. So you lose 1, it's turn over. Huge physical design flaw.
I'd take BDK all day. And i'd pick donkey kong as well. It's impossible to tell WTF is going on here since nobody seems to know how to use the correct terms. This is basically what the thread is about.

VS>

I don't often abbreviate games, but in here I intentionally used TDK because of the DK topic name. Had to.

By any names, Batman: The Dark Knight is better than Batman '66 currently though.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Grg:

In regards to TDK being memorable or holding up over time, it did take over 1 billion in earnings making it the 17th highest grossing movie of all time and by far the highest grossing Batman franchise. I would say in 40 years that most teens etc who watched it will see it as iconic.

People really need to relax on equating dollars earned with good/important films.

So it did 100 million more than Batman V Superman dawn of justice....think that piece of shit will be remembered for anything other than being horrible?
Or to look at it another way, it did less monies than Transformers Dark side of the Moon. Maybe...all the numbers are bullshit and include Chineese take which is notoriously strange.

EDIT: Also, I don't see it as being the 17th top grosser all time.

#32 6 years ago

Actually, I mis-abbreviated just because I thought it was kind of interesting how much could be communicated with so few characters.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Met wasn't $10k-$15k.

Yeh Sucks it was more. I brought a Prem which was the same price as an Le in another theme here in Aust. I think the same about Le buyers who pay thousands more than Prem's.
If you don't rate pin on price/expectations there is a lot going on and it's not as bad as some are saying. Stern have tried something different time will tell if they got it right...time being the key, let the code mature first. Who knows what they have got planned.

#34 6 years ago

If you don't rate pin on price/expectations there is a lot going on and it's not as bad as some are saying.

Disagree. Whether a pin costs $4k or $15k, you're buying a very expensive game. The game should be designed and relatively finished when shipped. Period. Updates should be bug fixes or "gravy" like more animation, voices, light shows, etc.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Disagree. Whether a pin costs $4k or $15k, you're buying a very expensive game. The game should be designed and relatively finished when shipped. Period. Updates should be bug fixes or "gravy" like more animation, voices, light shows, etc.

In an ideal world yes, this is what I expect to. Since I've been collecting 4 yrs I have not known one pin that was released on time to come out in this state. I agree it's not good enough, but do we stop buying pins. For me it's all I've known, waiting on code. Stern rushed 66 out, they are doing more regular updates to catch up. Yes their business model needs to be reviewed.

#36 6 years ago

GOT was on time and had great code.

#37 6 years ago

DK for me, I like darker, more evil themes. BM66 was just too big of a disappointment to me with all the issues it had considering how "special" of a release it was supposed to be. Nice art package on it but I still like DK better.

#38 6 years ago

In an ideal world yes, this is what I expect to. Since I've been collecting 4 yrs I have not known one pin that was released on time to come out in this state. I agree it's not good enough, but do we stop buying pins.

Don't stop buying pins - but stop buying UNFINISHED expensive new pins. I've been collecting for about 10 years, and I can assure you - this is not how things used to be. You don't have to buy new pins to enjoy pinball. There are hundreds of excellent games with time tested QC and excellent finished code.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You don't have to buy new pins to enjoy pinball. There are hundreds of excellent games with time tested QC and excellent finished code.

Very true. I've had over 25 pins now, love pinball all around, play competitively at a high level and I have never bought a NIB pin. I wouldn't spend $4200 when you got a lot more for your dollar and that was the going rate and I sure as hell won't spend $5000+ now...especially with all the QC issues there are. The value just isn't there for me at those prices and it never has been. I get as much enjoyment or more out of games that aren't brand new.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If you lock a ball, there is nothing stopping the balls from rolling out the back when the game goes into ball search. So it doesn't know the balls are now gone, gets confused and forever kicks out 2 balls thinking they are 1. So you lose 1, it's turn over. Huge physical design flaw.

VS>

Logically it's pretty straight forward to account for this in software if ball search has to be invoked. You don't actually need the balls in the turntable lock after a ball search; you just need to know how many should be there.

I suspect Lyman will cleanup ball search in the code at some point.

#41 6 years ago

Wait until Lyman gets further down the road on code and then decide what you like.

I highly doubt it will be BDK. The LCD and integration thereof sets itself apart from BDK in a HUGE way.

#42 6 years ago

BDK every day of the week. B66 was such a fleecing by Stern. Still SMH. Incredible, really. Gary and George had to get a new bank vault after filling it up while laughing and patting each other on the back. $15k for some hot wheels and paint! $9k for powdered ramps and different art! LOL. Unbelievable.

Even ignoring the pricing differences, I'd still take BDK over B66.

#43 6 years ago

You're comparing Dk = Completed code against BM66 = Alpha at best code. 0.71
BM66 will be the Batman to have in the future when Lyman has time to finish the code.

#44 6 years ago

How many Goddamn topics do we need comparing these two machines? Drain...

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

How many Goddamn topics do we need comparing these two machines? Drain...

Well it does give the hater broken record crowd a chance to ramble again?

They are too busy doing cartwheels over the DI non fleecing going on there.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Logically it's pretty straight forward to account for this in software if ball search has to be invoked. You don't actually need the balls in the turntable lock after a ball search; you just need to know how many should be there.
I suspect Lyman will cleanup ball search in the code at some point.

the problem is, is that there isn't switches to let the game know they are still there or not.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the problem is, is that there isn't switches to let the game know they are still there or not.

Yeah, it's a major oversight. Kind of an elementary one too. I don't get it, man.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Doesn't matter. The software knows how many balls should be there. If you win an Award Lock, it doesn't put a ball in the turntable - just tells the software that you need one less to start multiball (or that the turntable contains one more)

Switches would just help, but the lack of them doesn't prevent a good programmer from doing compensation after ball search with the assumption that any physical balls locked could be lost during ball search. You need some additional code at multiball start if a ball search had been done to fire balls until the correct number are in play but I doubt it's code that hasn't been done before (and may call routines that already exist - see Award Lock).

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Doesn't matter. The software knows how many balls should be there. If you win an Award Lock, it doesn't put a ball in the turntable - just tells the software that you need one less to start multiball (or that the turntable contains one more)
Switches would just help, but the lack of them doesn't prevent a good programmer from doing compensation after ball search with the assumption that any physical balls locked could be lost during ball search. You need some additional code at multiball start if a ball search had been done to fire balls until the correct number are in play but I doubt it's code that hasn't been done before (and may call routines that already exist - see Award Lock).

untrue. When a game is designed to only count balls as they enter a certain area, and then you have no switches to show the ball is constantly there. How can software know if some mechanics take the balls away? It doesn't know if you have 1 or more balls on the playfield, unless it can take inventory of all the balls in the machine.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

untrue. When a game is designed to only count balls as they enter a certain area, and then you have no switches to show the ball is constantly there. How can software know if some mechanics take the balls away? It doesn't know if you have 1 or more balls on the playfield, unless it can take inventory of all the balls in the machine.

You need to think this through a bit more. Go back to the Award a Lock example. And your logic is flawed - the software doesn't need to know how many balls are physically in the lock mechanism or if any have been "taken away" - just how many there should be. As for number of balls on the playfield - same thing. The game knows how many should be on the PF and acts accordingly. Which is why when you have more than one ball in play when there should be only one the end of ball sequence starts as soon as the first ball drains.

The logic to do what is necessary is not difficult. I'm sure we will see it at some point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.25
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 34.99
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 210.00
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dk-or-66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.