IMG_1275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1277 (resized).jpeg
screenshot.5997 (resized).jpg
screenshot.5996 (resized).jpg
IMG_1921 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1920 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1917 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1918 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

EDIT: Now StarBright 9 is DarkStar 9, under a different name.
Since my post in the main Stranger Things thread, I've received many PMs and inquiries. Seemed easiest to keep one response in a separate thread.
The video clips below give some idea of what this material looks like. While the installed video came out darker than reality for much of it (phone would auto-adjust and I was using one hand to flip), it still gives a good idea of the huge difference it makes.

I purchased the screen material here, and would recommend having 5 sample sheets (it's possible this will prove to be difficult): https://shop.elitescreens.com/store/p127/Sample_Screen_Material.html
This is the adhesive sheeting I used (I also ordered the more expensive 3M sheets, but found this cheaper option to be the easiest to work with): amazon.com link »
To achieve the results seen in the installed video, I also have 1-3 layers of cardstock in all of the large arrow inserts and some of the smaller inserts closer to the screen. Also, the back half of my right flasher is blocked with a piece of black vinyl, the lighting is dimmed in the game through settings, and I made partial cones to go over the sling LEDs (still some room to better darken this area from the screen, which perhaps I'll do later). I also pulled the LED near the shooter lane exit and it was one of the worst offenders.
Can download the parts and see instructions for the billboard and bulb cones here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4825295
-----------------------
You'll have to figure out which direction is appropriate (they're not guaranteed to be one way or the other on the sheet as I received them both ways).
When turned the proper way, the image will be perfectly viewable at all 180 degrees from the bottom to the top, but standing further than at the corner of the game left to right will start to show the ambient light rejecting feature this material has. So no matter how tall or short you are, the game will look stellar from player perspective.
When the material is received with the proper direction being the slimmest, you'll likely need to carefully remove the adhesive to get enough height for the main screen panel (the front can be rolled off, but the back may need some help with contact cleaner--alcohol will ruin the material, and goo gone was messy).
Before cuts are made to the screen material, cut enough double sided tape sheet to cover an entire sample. After pulling the one side, with it on a flat surface, line up the screen materials and carefully apply it flat (I held the other end taught and something like a credit card to slowly push the material down into place to avoid air bubbles).
For the main panel: I placed the material over the factory white panels. It was best to cut the bottom, left, and right sides to proper size beforehand. All sides could be done that way, but I chose to use an exacto knife at the top. I used a sliding cutter for most straight cuts..similar to this: amazon.com link »
For the drops: I removed the drop asssembly from underneath and removed the old decals (cleaned any remaining adhesive with 91% alcohol). With one flat side at the lower end, and the rest cut oversized, apply the material one target at a time, cutting around the edge with an exacto knife to be a perfect fit--this is larger and better looking than the smaller factory size. I found the most accurate cut to be achieved when holding the blade angled in a bit toward the material side, and holding some pressure against the target.
Ramps: These may be tricky for some. I used card stock and progressively made many cuts until I got a nearly perfect shape of the ramp decals. It's best to remove the factory pieces, but I left them in. I cut the created template in half and placed them on top of the screen material, taping them all to a large piece of glass (any hard surface will do). IMPORTANT--the screen material MUST be cut in the proper direction--templates should be laid straight up and down, not at an angle--otherwise the result will be darker and likely different between both halves).
With that arrangement for the ramp pieces, I cut around the template with an exacto knife. Test the cut before pulling the backing for installation.
Spinner: I did the same as above, but used the decal replacement that came with the game as a template (I only applied to the side facing the player when it's at rest).
Stand up targets: Apply directly over the factory piece (this keeps the rivet from interfering). Can cut to the size of the supplied replacements.
Billboard: If using my 3D file, cut to fit (I used cardstock here as well after painting and clearing).
-------
Perhaps this will help some. Please feel free to let me know what I'm forgetting or what I could make clearer.
Sorry for the blurry billboard photos (didn't pull the glass, and would lose my ball before I could get a good shot )
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just looking to order some sample material to install on my machine. Just curious however, would you have made a digital version of your ramp templates (and maybe others) ? I have a small laser CNC (Snapmaker A250), and I'd hope I would be able to laser cut the material for best result.

Regards

#116 1 year ago

OK, well I'll build a template and scan it then as a baseline. Easy enough, given that I can use cardboard, just need some time (especially since the laser cnc is. It at the same location than the pinball machine, so it will take a few round trips)

2 months later
#138 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Traded my Stranger Things but before I did I had sourced and committed to a new OEM projector for it. My intention was not to sell this but to keep it as a back up in case mine would ever fail cause let's be honest, a premium or LE without a working projector you would be better off with a Pro (no offense to Pro owner .
So... If anyone is interested in a brand new, never used, factory OEM projector directly from Stern... Here is your chance. I was planning on listing this on eBay to be fair but wanted to give you guys a crack at it.
If you are interested Private Message me an offer and high bid will take it by the end of day tomorrow or the week, it just depends on how many people are still actively interested. I figure private messages would be best because I don't want to clutter up the thread with my sale.
Good Luck
The fine print...
Opening Bid Starts at $500
Bids are in the amount of $10
Acceptable payment: PayPal or Venmo (Winning bid pays fees or sends Friends/ Family)
Shipping is fee with tracking via USPS, any additional insurance or services are extra.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just curious, can you take a picture of the top ? Just for my reference, trying to see if this is the same product as this one here:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32855408818.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

(which is not available, but as a reference point).

Cheers

5 months later
#165 1 year ago
Quoted from gnjax:

For all the european players here like me who don't have access to darkstar 9 :
I used some grey ALR fabric from these guys : https://leinwandbau.info/en/projection-screen-fabric/high-contrast-screen-material-ambient-light-rejecting-alr-projector-screen-material/51/high-contrast-screen-material-ambient-light-rejecting-alr-projector-screen-material-1-1?number=LWB10051&c=21
You can order a roll of 80*80, should be more than enough to cover everything and you can do the ramps in one piece too.
Here are some photos with some fabric badly glued to a piece of cardboard for testing purposes :
Dark room :
[quoted image]
Lit up room :
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Many thanks for the link !

It will definitely be useful.

On a sidenote, if you do the exercize, I would welcome a scan of the ramp outline. I have a small laser cnc which should allow me to laser cut the material cleanly.

3 weeks later
#169 1 year ago
Quoted from gnjax:

I'm not sure how I will handle the ramps yet, just finished the main center area today, but I will definitely post here if I can make a clean pattern for the ramps

Did you manage to get a pattern for the ramps ?

Cheers

1 month later
#179 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I have the PBL set and the material they use is worse than the stock material. It reflects blue from the UV “upside down” lighting. They fit nice and should be great for making a template.

So would you mind posting a scan of these stickers, at scale, so we can use them as a template ? I have a small laser CNC that would be perfect to cut the material.

Regards

8 months later
#214 4 months ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Finally got around to playin with this StarBright 9 stuff under the laser.... Applied adhesive backing first and then gave it a go. I've dialed in the settings to the best of my ability, but given the nature of materials it does melt around the edges a smidge and requires a good cleanin post laser. In the end it does look pretty good from 3 inches away though
Really want to avoid the 2 piece ramp setup though... hmmm.....
(Showing direction really does matter with this stuff as well )
[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh that's cool. I was planning on getting it done as well, just wanted to wait on having a scan of the ramp stickers as well.

Which laser CNC did you use, what's the output power, and what power level did you use ? I have both a Snapmaker A250 10W laser module, and an Elegoo Phecda.

1 month later
#245 88 days ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Introducing ScreenEffects for your Stranger Things Premium/LE machine.
First kits are starting to arrive today to those that reached out to get on the interest list earlier, but now opening up my pinside shop for domestic orders (international will be through my shopify store once everything is finalized, and payments are working properly.)
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1293-pineffects/10209-screeneffects-starbright9-precut-kits
Brian
EDIT: 15:20 MT WHOA... A much bigger demand for this precut kit than I was expecting, Truly appreciate the support and response on this!!!.. I've depleted the amount of kits available that I can make with the materials I currently have on hand (other than standups and drop targets)... I will be ordering more materials, and will be adding this back in stock when those materials arrive... Stay tuned!!
Going to be very busy cranking out these kits as fast as I can for those that have ordered. Please be patient with me
EDIT: 18:20 MT
Additional materials have been ordered(hoping to have them next week). I have every intention of ensuring everyone that wants a kit can get one. If you'd like to secure a spot in line I have updated the listing to a pre-order (domestic only however). Those that got in before the pre-order status expect shipping withing 7-10 business days.
Again thank you for the support, glad I can offer this to the community.
[quoted image][quoted image]

You're cutting everything on a single sheet of material?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-stranger-things-prem-le-darkstar-9-screen-details?tu=ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.