IMG_1275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1277 (resized).jpeg
screenshot.5997 (resized).jpg
screenshot.5996 (resized).jpg
IMG_1921 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1920 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1917 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1918 (resized).jpeg
There are 250 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 1 year ago

Thank you kindly!

3 weeks later
#152 1 year ago

Well, finally unpacked mine. Interestingly, my samples seemed to straddle the divide between two different types of product literature.

20221126_210617 (resized).jpg20221126_210617 (resized).jpg

Going to slowly start with the drop targets tomorrow (as they are cracked and need replacing anyway), cheers!

#153 1 year ago

Hmm...am I correct in concluding that I should not have applied star Bright 9 to the two standup targets under the Demogorgon? ("M" and "O") because of the angle?

#154 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Hmm...am I correct in concluding that I should not have applied star Bright 9 to the two standup targets under the Demogorgon? ("M" and "O") because of the angle?

I didn't add any there, and believe that was the conclusion.

#155 1 year ago

Thanks @medisinyl! All set. I actually ran out of the adhesive sheets, and not the star Bright. In my first pack of sheets, there were a bunch of air bubbles on arrival, and I totally screwed up on an entire sheet. but the second pack was smooth as butter. Still have a panel and a half of the star Bright left. Thanks again! World of difference...

20221202_212822 (resized).jpg20221202_212822 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#156 1 year ago

Has anyone contemplated selling this as a ready mod sized correctly and ready to apply? I had hoped that would have happened by now but am still holding out hope. Hell, if someone has extra and is willing to do it, I would pay a bit extra

#157 1 year ago

Pinball Life is supposed to be creating a Darkstar kit. they already have a kit for the white material. the issue is the Darkstar stuff is really expensive and it's hard to get in large sheets. But Terry is working on it, at least last i heard.

#158 1 year ago

I've got two extra unused sheets of Darkstar samples, asking $15 shipped, if anyone's interested. (Otherwise, they're just sitting here.)

#159 1 year ago

Claimed, cheers!

1 week later
#160 1 year ago

I am conflicted... I realy want to do this ... I have all of the materials... but I also know that I struggle to put down Mylar without bubbles.

ugh...

#161 1 year ago

How many samples would I have to order ..

#162 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I am conflicted... I realy want to do this ... I have all of the materials... but I also know that I struggle to put down Mylar without bubbles.
ugh...

It’s not bad. Just cut the pieces precisely and take your time. I never had any bubbling issue. This material is thick enough so it doesn’t bubble. My biggest piece of advise. Go slow and be precise. Good luck!!!

#164 1 year ago

For all the european players here like me who don't have access to darkstar 9 :
I used some grey ALR fabric from these guys : https://leinwandbau.info/en/projection-screen-fabric/high-contrast-screen-material-ambient-light-rejecting-alr-projector-screen-material/51/high-contrast-screen-material-ambient-light-rejecting-alr-projector-screen-material-1-1?number=LWB10051&c=21

You can order a roll of 80*80, should be more than enough to cover everything and you can do the ramps in one piece too.

Here are some photos with some fabric badly glued to a piece of cardboard for testing purposes :

Dark room :
IMG-0698.jpgIMG-0698.jpg

Lit up room :
IMG-0703.jpgIMG-0703.jpg
IMG-0704.jpgIMG-0704.jpg

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from gnjax:

For all the european players here like me who don't have access to darkstar 9 :
I used some grey ALR fabric from these guys : https://leinwandbau.info/en/projection-screen-fabric/high-contrast-screen-material-ambient-light-rejecting-alr-projector-screen-material/51/high-contrast-screen-material-ambient-light-rejecting-alr-projector-screen-material-1-1?number=LWB10051&c=21
You can order a roll of 80*80, should be more than enough to cover everything and you can do the ramps in one piece too.
Here are some photos with some fabric badly glued to a piece of cardboard for testing purposes :
Dark room :
[quoted image]
Lit up room :
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Many thanks for the link !

It will definitely be useful.

On a sidenote, if you do the exercize, I would welcome a scan of the ramp outline. I have a small laser cnc which should allow me to laser cut the material cleanly.

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Many thanks for the link !
It will definitely be useful.
On a sidenote, if you do the exercize, I would welcome a scan of the ramp outline. I have a small laser cnc which should allow me to laser cut the material cleanly.

I'm not sure how I will handle the ramps yet, just finished the main center area today, but I will definitely post here if I can make a clean pattern for the ramps

2 weeks later
#167 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I am conflicted... I really want to do this ... I have all of the materials... but I also know that I struggle to put down Mylar without bubbles.
ugh...

I'm in the same boat. I have all the new material sheets but hesitant to start it all. When I look closely at how nicely the original stern screen is installed, I'm not sure how to get the same. I can easily see myself destroying all the $heet$ I have. Yeah, I know I'm being a whimp - just do it! -- sigh.

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

I'm in the same boat. I have all the new material sheets but hesitant to start it all. When I look closely at how nicely the original stern screen is installed, I'm not sure how to get the same. I can easily see myself destroying all the $heet$ I have. Yeah, I know I'm being a whimp - just do it! -- sigh.

I am about to install it in mine… I also just bought a brand new paper cutter. I attempted one sheet with scissors… that was a mistake

#169 1 year ago
Quoted from gnjax:

I'm not sure how I will handle the ramps yet, just finished the main center area today, but I will definitely post here if I can make a clean pattern for the ramps

Did you manage to get a pattern for the ramps ?

Cheers

1 week later
#170 1 year ago

Update to ordering material- I placed an order for some StarBright9 sheets a few days ago and everything was fine. Got an email today saying there was a "technical issue" with my order and that they issued me a full refund and to try again if I wanted.....
But now they changed the website to only allow qty1 sample per person. I guess the gig is up.

Screenshot_20230221_135847_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230221_135847_Chrome (resized).jpg
#171 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Update to ordering material- I placed an order for some StarBright9 sheets a few days ago and everything was fine. Got an email today saying there was a "technical issue" with my order and that they issued me a full refund and to try again if I wanted.....
But now they changed the website to only allow qty1 sample per person. I guess the gig is up.
[quoted image]

Hmm... That's not good.

#172 1 year ago

There are alternatives to StarBright. I used the "High Contrast" material from Silver Ticket Products. Not sure how it compares to StarBright, but it looks pretty damn good to me. It doesn't have any orientation issues either. Their sample pack, which is a bunch of 8"x11" sheets of their different offerings (12 different materials?) costs only $4.20. One sheet of HC material was enough to do the main screen panels, drop targets, and standups.

#173 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

There are alternatives to StarBright. I used the "High Contrast" material from Silver Ticket Products. Not sure how it compares to StarBright, but it looks pretty damn good to me. It doesn't have any orientation issues either. Their sample pack, which is a bunch of 8"x11" sheets of their different offerings (12 different materials?) costs only $4.20. One sheet of HC material was enough to do the main screen panels, drop targets, and standups.

Thanks! grabbed a pack to give it a try. Under 8 bucks shipped

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

FWIW, I tested the Cinegray products shown in this video that compares the Silver Ticket HC screen (video claims the Cinegray is superior), and while better than the stock white, they're muddy (darks gained, with brights lost, and worse colors) in comparison to the StarBright screen (night and day difference between them).

Perhaps their ALR screen would be worth experimenting with, but I haven't tried that one (the material gnjax posted also looks promising if it works on the ramps).

#175 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

[quoted image]

Yeah, I saw that somebody had posted about it in a FB group, I think it was Stern Pinball Enthusiasts, leading to a run on the product? I'm betting they'll ease the quantity restriction once demand settles back down...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 1 year ago

Has anyone tried to use the Pinball Life decals as a template for the ramps?

2 weeks later
#177 1 year ago
Quoted from Duster72:

Has anyone tried to use the Pinball Life decals as a template for the ramps?

Just came here to ask the same question.

I'm going to order the set and see if I can use them as a template. https://www.pinballlife.com/stranger-things-projector-screen-decal-set-copy.html

#178 1 year ago

I have the PBL set and the material they use is worse than the stock material. It reflects blue from the UV “upside down” lighting. They fit nice and should be great for making a template.

#179 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I have the PBL set and the material they use is worse than the stock material. It reflects blue from the UV “upside down” lighting. They fit nice and should be great for making a template.

So would you mind posting a scan of these stickers, at scale, so we can use them as a template ? I have a small laser CNC that would be perfect to cut the material.

Regards

6 months later
#180 6 months ago

I'm going to give this another shot. My previous screen mod was subpar.

Does anyone have a 3 printer that can sell the billboard and light diffusers? I would be interested in purchasing.

#181 6 months ago

Following

#182 6 months ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I'm going to give this another shot. My previous screen mod was subpar.
Does anyone have a 3 printer that can sell the billboard and light diffusers? I would be interested in purchasing.

I may have updated the billboard file for my game (bit better fitting) and never updated the public file. Will check within the next couple days.

#183 6 months ago

So 5 sample sheets is enough? Or best to get a couple more in case.

#184 6 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So 5 sample sheets is enough? Or best to get a couple more in case.

Bit detached from a perfect memory of it, so I'd be inclined to believe the 5 noted when fresh in mind should be about right, but if wary about needing an extra practice piece, or want extra on hand just in case...

#185 6 months ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

I've got two extra unused sheets of Darkstar samples, asking $15 shipped, if anyone's interested. (Otherwise, they're just sitting here.)

I think I had started with five, and even with at least one screw up I still had two full sheets left afterwards, and a bit more. IIRC five was plenty, doable with only three.

#186 6 months ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

I think I had started with five, and even with at least one screw up I still had two full sheets left afterwards, and a bit more. IIRC five was plenty, doable with only three.

I bought 5 sheets as well and had plenty extra left over.

#187 6 months ago

Just ordered 5 sheets and the pinball life decals to use as a template. Is their any laser cutting services I could send these sheets out to to get cut professionally using the pinball life decals has templets?

#188 6 months ago
Quoted from Wheel_Jack:

Just ordered 5 sheets and the pinball life decals to use as a template. Is their any laser cutting services I could send these sheets out to to get cut professionally using the pinball life decals has templets?

I've ordered some sheets as well. I plan on attempting laser cutting to see how this material does under the beam. Will keep ya posted.

#189 6 months ago

Is it best to leave the sides of the ramps alone? It sounds like Starbright doesn’t perform as well in this location. I ordered 6, which will allow me to experiment.

#190 6 months ago

Lol, this company selling this stuff must be thinking wtf is going on……for the second time. Hope they don’t ramp up stock levels of the actual product in the hope some of these samples convert to actual sales.

Having said that, at $16 per sample sheet I’m sure they’re happy to keep supplying them.

#191 6 months ago

I'm not really familiar with the original paper setup on the ramps. Is the OG stuff under the ramps and we're putting the new stuff on top of the ramp?

If so, how is it holding up after all this time?

#192 6 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I'm not really familiar with the original paper setup on the ramps. Is the OG stuff under the ramps and we're putting the new stuff on top of the ramp?
If so, how is it holding up after all this time?

Best to take the old material off, and I did for some parts, but I did put mine on top of the old ramp material (would have taken it off if I did it again).

After ~1000+ plays, mine looks like this:

Nearly flawless where the ball touches. The bottom area of the drops does get scuffed as shown, but not noticed during gameplay. Small, but noticeable blemish on the standup to the right of the left ramp.

Has held up far beyond expectation.

Pinside_forum_7791537_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7791537_0 (resized).jpg

#193 6 months ago

How many sheets needed fo

Quoted from Medisinyl:

Best to take the old material off, and I did for some parts, but I did put mine on top of the old ramp material (would have taken it off if I did it again).
After ~1000+ plays, mine looks like this:
Nearly flawless where the ball touches. The bottom area of the drops does get scuffed as shown, but not noticed during gameplay. Small, but noticeable blemish on the standup to the right of the left ramp.
Has held up far beyond expectation.
[quoted image]

Looks great.

How many sheets for just the main "theatre" screens (drop down and sides)

#194 6 months ago

Over 2,000 plays on mine and the material has held up great.

I clean the material with a little Isopropyl every time I clean and wax my machine. Just cleaned a couple weeks ago.

I bought 5 sheets, which is the recommended amount and I'm glad because I definitely f'd up a few times adding the adhesive to the screen material.

IMG_20231005_181930 (resized).jpgIMG_20231005_181930 (resized).jpgIMG_20231005_180521 (resized).jpgIMG_20231005_180521 (resized).jpgIMG_20231005_180756 (resized).jpgIMG_20231005_180756 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#195 4 months ago

is this still attainable? could anyone share a link to it?
thank you

#196 4 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

is this still attainable? could anyone share a link to it?
thank you

First page of the thread has a link.

#197 4 months ago
Quoted from killborn:

First page of the thread has a link.

Oh I missed it thanks.
Has anybody ordered this recently? Just wanting to confirm you still need 5 sample packs as per the instructions on page 1.

#198 4 months ago

Oh I missed it thanks.
Has anybody ordered this recently? Just wanting to confirm you still need 5 sample packs as per the instructions on page 1.

I too would like this info. I bet this thread will heat up as the premiums start getting delivered.

#199 4 months ago

Oh I missed it thanks.

Scroll up to post #183 and you'll find some good commentary.

#200 4 months ago

Oh I missed it thanks.

I ordered some a few weeks ago and it arrived in a reasonable time. I don’t see why the amount needed would change.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Machine - For Sale
Guilford, CT
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 250 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-stranger-things-prem-le-darkstar-9-screen-details/page/4?hl=jonnyqtrek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.