5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RatShack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinball-Pat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I've almost pulled the trigger today on a headphone kit from Stern but got to thinking, Has anyone done a DIY version of this?

We'd need a:

1) Potentiometer
    2) 1/8" input jack for the door
    3) ***adapter for the spike board to connect to the input, what part is this?

I could use any info on #3 if you have it...

Thanks in advance Pinside Guru's

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

It's not a potentiometer, it's a rotary encoder. I think the pins on the CPU board are 0.100" headers.

Hmm, rotary encoder. And I thought I was so smart. Looks like I'm headed back to the google machine to learn what that is.

P.s.
    I just accidentally put an order in for a spike 2 kit, a monitor bezel, and mirror for my Star Wars.

This thread may never get off the ground

Thanks guys

#4 5 years ago

Rotary encoder
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigationJump to search

A Gray code absolute rotary encoder with 13 tracks. At the top, the housing, interrupter disk, and light source can be seen; at the bottom the sensing element and support components.
    A rotary encoder, also called a shaft encoder, is an electro-mechanical device that converts the angular position or motion of a shaft or axle to analog or digital output signals.

There are two main types of rotary encoder: absolute and incremental. The output of an absolute encoder indicates the current shaft position, making it an angle transducer. The output of an incremental encoder provides information about the motion of the shaft, which typically is processed elsewhere into information such as position, speed and distance.

Rotary encoders are used in a wide range of applications that require monitoring or control, or both, of mechanical systems, including industrial controls, robotics, photographic lenses,[1] computer input devices such as optomechanical mice and trackballs, controlled stress rheometers, and rotating radar platforms.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinball-Pat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-stern-spike-2-headphone-kit?tu=Pinball-Pat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.