4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by plasticbugs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FANa (resized).JPG
    3DFAN (resized).JPG

#1 4 months ago

I have two new Stern machines that I wanted to upgrade the power supply fans. On one, I will use Pinmonk's internal fan kit. It's very nice and plug & play and is a simply process to install for most people but requires the power supply to be opened. On the other, I printed (Scott Moschella's 3D model) fan adapter and purchased a great ball-bearing fan on eBay that run almost silent at 12V. This external approach is a bolt-on... requires no disassembly of anything. The adapter cost me $12 to get printed and shipped. The FAN was about $6 each.

The Pinmonk may be the cleanest for technically inclined, the 3D adapter approach may be easier for mere mortals.

The 3D adapter file from Scott Moschella:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4844962

The Fan:
    ebay.com link: itm

3DFAN (resized).JPGFANa (resized).JPG

#2 4 months ago

I'll be curious with the external fan/adapter if the internal fan will stay quiet or kick on like a rocket still. You should try and let us know!

#3 4 months ago

You don’t even need the adaptor. I just use a magnet to hold a 60-80mm fan in the same position, and the factory fan never comes on.

1 month later
    #4 3 months ago

Markharris2000 Glad you found my 3D print! How did the two solutions work for you? I'm curious to know how loud the Pinmonk kit fan is in comparison to the one you used. I went with the Noctua fan and I'm really happy with the results. It's whisper quiet and I work only a few feet from my machine all day without noticing it. If anyone stumbles on this thread, I'm happy to print off the fan adapter linked above for the cost of materials and shipping. In the US, shouldn't be more than $5 total to get one out to you. Cheers!

#5 3 months ago

The german Papst fan pictured above is also running whisper quiet, mostly I think because its a 30V fan that works all the way down to 12V! Candidly I can't hear it running while I have my ear a foot away from it. I can't compare how much air is being moved between the Papst and the Noctura fan, but my machine seems to run cool and the Stern PS fan hasn't kicked on at all...

#6 3 months ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

The german Papst fan pictured above is also running whisper quiet, mostly I think because its a 30V fan that works all the way down to 12V! Candidly I can't hear it running while I have my ear a foot away from it. I can't compare how much air is being moved between the Papst and the Noctura fan, but my machine seems to run cool and the Stern PS fan hasn't kicked on at all...

That's great to hear! Thanks for the update! My Stern fan has also not turned on since installing the fan above it. I'm super-happy with the Noctua fan, and if it ever fails, I have peace of mind knowing the original internal fan will just kick on.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside