3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PinballCenter.shaker.motor.attenuator (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have a Stern Rev B shaker motor. It shakes my game too violently. My game is SAM, and the service menu includes a frequency-only adjustment, not intensity. So, I took it out, removed the weights and used a hacksaw to trim their lengths by about half. Not smart. Now they spin and create too little shake.
So, I bought a new shaker kit, this time the generic model from Pinball Life. Again, too violent. This time I'm not going to dare trim the weights, but I would like to make/install a DIY speed controller to attenuate the power that reaches the motor. Conveniently, The Pinball Center in Germany makes just such a mod (see photo), but inconveniently they don't ship to the U.S. directly.
To all of you electrical engineers or expert tinkerers who understand what might be packed into this trick little gizmo, can I possibly duplicate it with parts from, say, Great Plains Electronics? I mean, what are we looking at?
Any insight/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks for noticing/reading my post.

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/spider-man/8478/speed-control-for-shaker-kit-for-stern-rev.-b
PinballCenter.shaker.motor.attenuator (resized).jpgPinballCenter.shaker.motor.attenuator (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

https://www.teknistore.com/en/module-board/45146-5pcs-dc-6v-12v-24v-28v-3a-80w-pwm-motor-speed-controller-regulator-adjustable-variable-speed-control-switch.html?mobile_theme_ok

Its an 80W DC motor controller using PWM for speed control. Found it all over the asai suppliers sites, and at Teknistore.

#5 3 years ago

Hi, Mark and Sean.
Wow. You guys are good!
Thanks so much!
I know that Cointaker's Red Tremor shaker is too violent for most, but I have a stock Stern kit and now a Pinball Life kit. I believe I've read the thread you reference in the past, but I will look again.
J

2 years later
#6 10 months ago

Ran across very simple SHAKER intensity reduction mod, basically a 1-OHM 10 WATT resistor, mounted on a PCB and the screws to attach to the cabinet and the required plug n plug cable. Fits inline with the Stern Shaker on any pinball to reduce the intensity of the shaker all the time.

$15 for PBL-600-0552-00 over at Pinball Life

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-shaker-motor-speed-controller and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.