REED SWITCH 1.GIF
REED SWITCH.GIF
IMG_4477.JPG
IMG_4486.JPG
IMG_4485.JPG
IMG_4483.JPG
IMG_4482.JPG
IMG_4481.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider german-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 8 years ago

@lyonsden:

Really absolute excellent post and write up.

Very helpful foto documentation - will help the whole pinball community for the eternity.

I think, you will be "pinwikified", if you write to Chris Hibler - this should be stored in pinwiki.

Another reed sensor as I suggested would also work, important is the length of the glas-tube, 7mm.

- MEDER, part-number: KSK-1A80-1015 = mouser.com part-number: 876-KSK-1A80-1015)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEDER-electronic-Standex/KSK-1A80-1015/?qs=KFo7JewZbUFX%252bU5EsD5Ziw%3D%3D

- PIC, part-number: PMC-0701 = conrad.de part-number: 503800-62
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/503800/Mikro-Reedschalter-PIC-PMC-0701-1-Schliesser-05-A-150-VDC-120-VAC-10-W

Good idea, to also replace the diode, when you just have it open.

GPE should put it in his shop as a "repair kit for WMS 20-10293 reed sensor".

CONGATS and THANKS for your great documentation.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Negative on Meder, got to go to Mouser for them. But there are many mfrs of reed switches out there, will look further.
Often orientation of reed switch is important. Can get these mounted 90degrees and they may or may not work depending on how operating magnet is situated. Post #4 above shows flat side of switch when you look into switch (and not edges of switch) -- is that correct?

It is correct. We use here a normally open (make contact) reed switch. We do not have to abserve polarity. Both, north and south pole, switch equally.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I may have had some dumb luck, but does it matter if the switch is rotated 90 degrees so that, from above, you are looking at the sides of the leaves in the switch (as asked by GPE)?

I do not think, it does matter here in this application, BUT mightbe, I had the same luck at that time as you now had.

Look here
http://www.pic-gmbh.com/en/interactive/
there you can play a bit interactive - choose one pole and manual modus.

By the way- the disgusting old silicon or whatever it was, could be something like this:
http://www.acc-silicones.com/products/encapsulants.ashx

#25 8 years ago

I think, the reed switch has to be mounted, as in the attached grafic.

REED SWITCH.GIFREED SWITCH.GIF

#26 8 years ago

I like, to draw grafics

REED SWITCH 1.GIFREED SWITCH 1.GIF

REED SWITCH 1a.GIFREED SWITCH 1a.GIF

#28 8 years ago

What I was always asking me, is, how the 2 little magnets must be arrranged. I have no idea of magnetic fields, but googled a bit and I could imagine, that they are arranged as shown in pic1 and function as shown in pic2.

Maybe someone, who has - others than me - properly taken care of in physics at school previously, can shed some light into the darkness.

REED SWITCH2.GIFREED SWITCH2.GIF

REED SWITCH3.GIFREED SWITCH3.GIF

2 weeks later
#31 8 years ago

Grafics-Update Have fun ...

REED SWITCH new.GIFREED SWITCH new.GIF

2 months later
#38 8 years ago

I now understood the operating principle of the 2 magnets. It is as follows:

As shown in the pictures, 2 magnetic plates , whose magnetic fields cancel each other, are mounted above each other. Between these 2 magnetic plates sits a "normal" reed switch.
If then a metal ball rolls above the unit, i.e. above the upper magnetic plate, the magnetic field of the upper magnetic plate is weakened . The magnetic field of the lower plate then dominates and can close the reed switch.

Pretty simple, isn´t it?

4 months later
#42 8 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

So that's how they work. Thanks for the explanation.

You could make a 3d model of it and print it. Maybe I will have a play with it later this year.
I will need some dimensions of the sensor for that: housing and magnet sizes. Are the magnets very strong?

I am working on that too, but unfortunately, I have no 3d-printer. First problem is the housing, I am searching for that since years. Second problem are the magnets. I do not know, how strong they are and what are the exact dimensions. Next week I will order different magnets and will begin to test. I think, the strongness is not the problem in our application, as the 2 different magnetic fields cancel each other at first, until the balls rolls and the upper magnet field is weakend.
Interesting:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=reed-switches-and-hall-effect-sensors
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=1

I do not know, how to measure the gauß of the magnets. Should look for I thing like this:

I am thinking about a very little pcb, lower magnet glued on the PCB, solder in the 2 parts, glue the second magnet on top and put all in a nice housing. E.G. see here: http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/909/reed-switch-normally-open-or-normally-closed

Easiest way would be to use a piece of wood, dremel it out and put in the magnets and the parts

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

What about 3D printing the case, doing two fills of silicone, one for the first magnet and let it set, then the switch, diode, fill, let cure, then sit the next magnet on top? Sounds like if you did it in those steps, you could have some relative accuracy in the separation of the magnets and materials.
Just spitballing.

Thats exact, what I am thinking of, but I do not have a 3D-printer ...

2 weeks later
#49 8 years ago

I did some experimenting with parts laying around. Using two 10x2mm round magnets and a 15mm reed contact, a ball could be detected 9mm away. Impressive. With two 3x2mm round magnets the sensing distance was about 3mm. Need to order some more more size magnets like 5mm and 8mm magnets to test.
Drawback of these sensors is that the ball is attracted by a magnet. Not much, but still noticeable. DO the original sensors also do this?

I am "playing" too

I do not know, if the original sensors are attracting the ball, BUT this is not good. I think, Bally/WMS calibrated the magnets so perfect, that it is exactly for the distance they need with the most less attraction. I think, I should take one of the switches out of my safecracker.

Momentary, I am thinking more about the housing.

A friend of mine made a 3D-grafic and we want to put it on a 3D-printer the next days and want to see the result.

Reed_switch_housing_(resized).jpgReed_switch_housing_(resized).jpg

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

... Most of these are mounted below plastic (ramp, insert), so 9mm range is probably too much. ...

Thats ABSOLUTLY correct - my grafics above are in this way misleading, as I drawed a playfield and not a plastic ramp or so. As far as I know, none of these reed switches is used through wooden playield. 3-5mm range should be OK, so the magnets could be weaker - my guess only.

#54 8 years ago

I did some experimenting with parts laying around. Using two 10x2mm round magnets and a 15mm reed contact, a ball could be detected 9mm away. Impressive. With two 3x2mm round magnets the sensing distance was about 3mm. Need to order some more more size magnets like 5mm and 8mm magnets to test.

What magnets did you use? Neodym or Ferrit? Neodym are much stronger ...

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Safecracker uses them under wood - the top three rollovers use them.

OOPS - thanks for the hint!!! Did not look under the playfield of my SC for a long time.

Here is an intersting link about magnets:

https://standexelectronics.com/products/permanent-magnets/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1,139.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider german-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-repair-20-10293-reed-switch?tu=german-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.