New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 127701)

DIY: Repair 20-10293 Reed Switch

By lyonsden

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tn_IMG_20160619_132648_(resized).jpg
tn_IMG_20160619_132638_(resized).jpg
Reed_switch_housing_(resized).jpg
REED SWITCH new.GIF
REED SWITCH 1a.GIF
REED SWITCH2.GIF
REED SWITCH3.GIF
REED SWITCH 1.GIF
REED SWITCH.GIF
IMG_4477.JPG
IMG_4486.JPG
IMG_4485.JPG
IMG_4483.JPG
IMG_4482.JPG
IMG_4481.JPG
IMG_4480.JPG

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

A friend of mine made a 3D-grafic and we want to put it on a 3D-printer the next days and want to see the result.

Nice!

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

... Most of these are mounted below plastic (ramp, insert), so 9mm range is probably too much. ...

Thats ABSOLUTLY correct - my grafics above are in this way misleading, as I drawed a playfield and not a plastic ramp or so. As far as I know, none of these reed switches is used through wooden playield. 3-5mm range should be OK, so the magnets could be weaker - my guess only.

#53 4 years ago

Thats ABSOLUTLY correct - my grafics above are in this way misleading, as I drawed a playfield and not a plastic ramp or so. As far as I know, none of these reed switches is used through wooden playield. 3-5mm range should be OK, so the magnets could be weaker - my guess only.

Yes -- that is my thought as well: 3-5mm sensing should be perfect.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

I did some experimenting with parts laying around. Using two 10x2mm round magnets and a 15mm reed contact, a ball could be detected 9mm away. Impressive. With two 3x2mm round magnets the sensing distance was about 3mm. Need to order some more more size magnets like 5mm and 8mm magnets to test.

What magnets did you use? Neodym or Ferrit? Neodym are much stronger ...

#55 4 years ago

Safecracker uses them under wood - the top three rollovers use them.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Safecracker uses them under wood - the top three rollovers use them.

OOPS - thanks for the hint!!! Did not look under the playfield of my SC for a long time.

Here is an intersting link about magnets:

https://standexelectronics.com/products/permanent-magnets/

#57 4 years ago

What magnets did you use? Neodym or Ferrit? Neodym are much stronger

I tested with neodym ones (unknown strength rating). These where the only ones I had laying around.

Near the maximal sensing distance the ball is not attracted very much. Moving the ball over the sensor you can just feel it. I think on an angled playfield the ball will just roll of it.

I would not think using different magnet material would make much of a difference.
The pinball need to capture enough of the magnetic field for the reed to react. So it would always be attracted to the magnet. The magnet strength would likely be the main driver for sensing distance. That sets the field strength around it.
Possible differed reed contacts would improve the sensitivity, and thus decreasing the change in field strength needed.

Nice design. It looks like an injection molded part. Hope you can find the correct size and strength magnets for it.

5 months later
#58 4 years ago

I just published on thingiverse a 3d printable sensor pinball sensor with instructions how to build one. See here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1652237. The maximal distance to detect a pinball is about 4.5mm.

tn_IMG_20160619_132648_(resized).jpgtn_IMG_20160619_132638_(resized).jpg

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

I just published on thingiverse a 3d printable sensor pinball sensor with instructions how to build one. See here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1652237. The maximal distance to detect a pinball is about 4.5mm.

Nice work! This is exactly the missing piece that people need to build their own from scratch.

4 years later
#60 8 days ago

just found this thread and wanted to ask a question dddwingmaster / german-pinball / lyonsden

firstly this is a great thread and want to make this type of magnetic reed switch for a personal mod and your thingiverse article looks good dddwingmaster as well as all the other info especially the graphics german-pinball .

Question: on the thingiverse design there is no diode and on the graphic and original bally/wms there is a diode - what is the purpose of the diode?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 35.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinfarmer Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
New York, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 244.99
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
New Ulm, MN
$ 11.00
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 47.00
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside