9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Punchdown2.jpg
    Punchdown3.jpg
    Punchdown1.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Hopefully some you folks out there will find this useful.

If you're cheap like me and can't part with (what seems) extraordinary money for an IDC punchdown tool, this might be the solution for you. I made my own punchdown tool using a piece of scrap 1/16" fiberglass PC board material and a small piece of wood for a handle. It works extremely well. The pictures below illustrate the dimensions. I used my scroll saw to accomplish the cuts needed.

Punchdown1.jpgPunchdown1.jpg
    Punchdown2.jpgPunchdown2.jpg
    Punchdown3.jpgPunchdown3.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jeff

#3 9 years ago

Well... there you have it. $10 isn't prohibitive at all. The ones I had seen were significantly more expensive than that. Thanks for the link.

Jeff

#4 9 years ago

They do make better quality IDC pushers than the one I linked.. but I've been using the $10 one for years and haven't broken one yet

Now, if you were using one all day, every day, you might need a better one.

You probably had more fun making yours though

1 month later
    #5 9 years ago

That's ingenuity!
    Oft, those in remote parts of the globe need to make our own.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from JeffHecht:

Well... there you have it. $10 isn't prohibitive at all. The ones I had seen were significantly more expensive than that. Thanks for the link.
    Jeff

I don't blame you for making your own. The Molex 63813-3503 or 3504 looks much like what you made. And - Molex hiked the bajeebers out of their prices in January.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-punchdown-tool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.